• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dan&Brenda

Dan&Brenda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

My wife and I will be spending 7 night at the Occidental Grand, in Feb. We've never been to Cozumel. We're hoping that this is a nice resort. Any suggestions on things, regarding our stay there? Things we should make sure we bring along?

Tired of freezing in Iowa....

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

I liked the Grand. Very nice. It is pretty far south so taxis to town are more expensive. You really ought to try to come into town and check it out and eat there some night. Sunday evenings are nice in the main plaza with free music and locals and sometimes some other stuff. They will run the time share thing on you, but once you give them the NO, they are fine.

When in Feb? You know Carnival opens the 15th and closes like the 22nd. Muy party and parades that you DON'T want to miss. Tasteful though, not a New Orleans kinda thing.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 Dan&Brenda

Dan&Brenda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

Glad the Occidental is a nice place. Was hoping that we had not gotten bad info, and booked at a dump. We have every intention of coming to town at least once, if not, a few times. We will be there from Feb 10-17. Does Carnival run all day, or just in the evenings? We will be in town the evening of the 15th, because that is the day that we are going out sailing (back around 3-4pm). We are really looking forward to coming to Cozumel for our first time.

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

I have not stayed at the grand, but I was told the beach was not as good as at the allegro, and you need water shoes due to rock/coral...

The resort looks awesome tho... And yes, go to town for dinner a few times – great food to be had there...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#5 ozarkjim

ozarkjim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Diving
    Exercise

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

We love the Grand, and have stayed there in the mid teens. The beach is nice the rocks don't show up until closer to the Iberostar. You will do a lot of walking but it's pretty walking as the trees have grown so much since the hurricane that you have to look for some of the buildings. We usually rent a car one day. She goes to town and shops and then we go around the east side and hit Rasta's, Coconuts and a couple of the beaches and then into town for dinner. Makes a nice break midweek.

#6 Dan&Brenda

Dan&Brenda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

We had planned on taking an excursion to the east side of the island. Wife is concerned about there being enough to do on Cozumel for a week, but it sounds like we will have a fantastic time!!

#7 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

You can find as much or as little to do as pleases you. The trip around the island is a must. Spend some time downtown on Sunday night when the local families are there. I'm not familiar with the resort. Check out different places to snorkel.

What part of Iowa are you from? We are from the Quad Cities, on the Illinois side of the Mississippi.

#8 Dan&Brenda

Dan&Brenda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

We are from NW Iowa (up near Spencer).

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

The Grand Beach wasnt bad when were were there. The Ibero was so bad with rocks you had to go out the pier and down the ladder. On the other hand the beach itself was bigger and fancier at the Ibero. Check the board. Someone posted a schedule I think. Parades are very nice.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 biggs

biggs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

You will love it! I have stayed there 3 previous times and will be down again in April. There is no coral on the beach, that is at the Iberostar, the next resort south. You will find it quiet, small, and friendly. The food is great, always something to interest you. Do rent a car for at least 1 day and visit the windward side. Try the park, Coconuts, and the beaches. Then into town for some shopping and dinner. Many, many great resturants, check the Cozumel My Cozumel site for a list. I would recommend La Varanda for a romantic meal. If you want lots of noisy pool activities and late night partying, afraid you have picked the wrong place. If you want to relax and enjoy the beach, you hit the mark. The dive shop can arrange a beautiful snorkel tour if you are not divers, and it is not the "256 people in the water at the same time type" of trip. If you are diving, the on site shop has a good reputation or have Blue Angel pick you up at the dock. I hope you have a great vacation!

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

If you stop and listen closely, we could hear the faint sounds of the loud parties at the Allegro wafting across the jungle....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 Guest_captnpat_*

Guest_captnpat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

Dan,

A week won't be long enough to do everything. We have been on 5 one week vacations to Coz over the past few years.

Get a rent car, we love getting a convertable VW from Isis for the entire week. The VW is a little dated but a blast.

We will drive the island and stop at beach bars on the west side, order a shot and a beer, go snorkeling, then head for the next beach bar, repeat the former. We ususaly only get in 2 snorkels a day, but who is in a hurry. Stop and enjoy the beaches and cafes on the east side. Of course there is always shopping, my wifes favoriate exercise. LOL.

Enjoy your trip.

#13 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

If you stop and listen closely, we could hear the faint sounds of the loud parties at the Allegro wafting across the jungle....

You always crack me up with that - When I sent Labor day week, the place was so dead i thought we had the place to ourselves!

I think from the Allegro I could hear YOU partying all the way up in PA!

LOL!
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#14 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

Nah, I am completely boring and sedate at home. I save it up for MX.

I don't believe for a minute that you 'Allegro people' werent over there doing body shots....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#15 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

Nah, I am completely boring and sedate at home. I save it up for MX.

I don't believe for a minute that you 'Allegro people' werent over there doing body shots....

LMAO - "you allegro people"

body shots? LOL! i can say in 23 years of scuba - never have i chummed the fish from the dive boat!! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users