13 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:47 AM

Anyone have a recommendation? Considering electric garage doors for the new garage we're currently building. Just starting research and would appreciate any information anyone has.

Thanks in advance

#2 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

Ours is 5 years old and is still working properly, no rust.....it's a Chamberlain.

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

Ours is 5 years old and is still working properly, no rust.....it's a Chamberlain.

Thanks. I am assuming you live on the island? If so, have you any contact information on how to reach your installers?

#4 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Puertas Automaticas
Hugo Gonzalez
cel. 987 101 8311
tel. 869 4694

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

Puertas Automaticas
Hugo Gonzalez
cel. 987 101 8311
tel. 869 4694

Man, you're really fixing my broken wheels this morning, Erin! Thanks again. You have used Hugo and like his services, I assume?

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

Did you get your Chamberlain via the hombre GringaErin rec.'d KAC?

#7 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

No, it was installed when the garages were built at Las Ventanas....but we did see them at Home Depot in Cancun about a month ago. We went looking for the outside keypad for it.

#8 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

I haven't bitten the bullet (yet) and installed automatic garage doors. Hugo did my neighbor's doors, and she's pleased as punch. He gave me one of his flyers as I was daydreaming about not having to get out of my car to pull it in :) He installs Merik openers (according to his flyer). He may do installs on others though.

#9 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

I was in Jamica about 35 years ago and the driver of the cab I was in had to take me way up on the hillside to show me the house with the magic door. The people had a garage door opener.

Considering electric garage doors

I didn't know they in different types. Is there a new gas powered one that works pretty good?

#10 Astoria Fiero

Astoria Fiero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Travel, automobile hobby- restoration, and collection.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

Having sold building materials for years, I know enough about garage door operators to be dangerous. Most people recommend the " worm drive" type for smooth operation with a minimum of adjustments through the years of usage. From my experience, the "chain drive" version is usually less expensive and somewhat quieter in operation. It can develop slack in the chain , through time, requiring future adjustment. There is a newer version- I think it is a "tape drive" using a plastic like ribbon instead of a screw or chain. I do not know much about them. If you are lifting a lightweight door, such as metal, most operators will do a good job. You also can get a variety of options for most operators, including a keypad using your personal combination. Otherwise you would need to rely on a hidden button to open the door when you don't have the remote handy. We have sold Genie and Chamberlain brands through the years and had very little trouble with either. The older electronics used to be a problem, but they are very reliable now. You likely could install one yourself in a few hours. But you do need an electrical plug in the vicinity. If it is a metal door, be sure the door is reinforced with a piece of angle iron where it connects to the top rail of the metal door panel. Otherwise it can buckle because of the pressure put on it by the operator. You may find that option where you buy the operator or be sure your installer uses the reinforcement. Hope this helps.

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Very helpful tips Astoria. Thanks. I will keep that in mind when talking to contractors!

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Update on the garage doors. Thanks so much, Erin, for the great recommendation. Hugo Gonzalez is a nice young man who just finished installing an electronic garage door for us. I am thrilled and feel like I'm coming out of the Bat Cave when I use it. We got a side sliding double wide door that is pretty masssive so he gave us the choice of a Merik or a Milord saying he rec'd the Milord for a door as heavy as ours. The motor cost twice as much and had to be procured from Cancun but he said he has never had a single problem with any of these he has installed. Which leads me to believe that the Merik may not be up to the job for a massive metal door like we have.

Anyway, he did a beautiful job. On time, on price, no surprises. No mess including from the spray painting that they did on site. Cost was $36,000 completo as we didn't require a factura. Took him 5 working days.

I would definitely recommend Hugo if you are contemplating this type of work and if you have a smaller garage opening, the price would, of course, be considerably less I would imagine.

I'd also like to thank Linda Staton for pointing out an example of a side sliding door, a design which wasn't a problem for Hugo who can install double doors, slide over heads or slide sideways.

If anyone is considering having something like this done and would like to see our example, shoot me an email.

I just realized that I should mention in passing that for the side sliding installation we wanted, we needed our masons around. And they were there working on another project. Mario, our electrician, laid an electric feed wire under the floor of the garage before the base was poured and the masons made a small cement platform for the motor to sit on and a groove and platform for the copper slider rail. If you didn't have masons on tap, a side sliding door would be problematic and you'd do better to go with doubles that open in the center (we couldn't use because of a telephone pole 1 ft away) or an overhead (which we didn't want because the ceiling is near 3 meters high in the garage.)

#13 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

I'm glad Hugo worked out! I'm super jealous :)

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

I'm glad Hugo worked out! I'm super jealous :)

I would like to put in another plug for Hugo. A garbage bag got caught in the gears of my door this morning and wrap itself round and round so the door wouldn't move. He and his cousin, son and brothers came on a Saturday arriving about 30 minutes after my call and got it fixed. They had to take off the housing on the motor so they could reach the wrapped up gear better and then one person pushed and pulled the door while the other unthreaded the bag.

So, servicio completo and with a smile. And on a Saturday afternoon to boot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users