• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 brigid

brigid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

We ate lunch at sabores today and we were told that friday would be their last day. they will be closing. the food was delicious and the service wonderful. i am glad we got to try it and so sad to see it close

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

thank goodness for the clarification...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

I think Sabor is the hotel and Sabores is a local restaurant on 5 ave
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

I amended my post...thanks...I sure won't want to cause a panic.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

OH NO! This was one of my favorites and they have been around forever. How sad to lose yet another local business.

#6 Hooked on Coz

Hooked on Coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Sky Diving, Riding my Fatboy

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Anyone up to doing lunch there on wed ? :D
Just to say thanks and goodbye.

#7 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

We will be down next Tuesday for a week and this was going to be our first lunch stop of the week having been there on our last 2 visits.
Has really good food with more than reasonable price, so sad to here it's closing.
All you expats and your friends should converge on her home and insist she stay open at least till Wednesday ;-)
Posted Image

#8 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

What?!??

When we stopped by in Dec., at 2:00 pm, they were closed . We'd been talking about a lunch there, and were really excited. And there they weren't.

Shoot. Would have loved to have had a final meal there. It's always one of our must stops. Sad.

#9 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

Sabores isn't closing. I spoke with the new owner/chef tonight. New ownership, still mexican/yucatan food. Open Monday - Friday 12 - 4. The guy that is taking over worked for the original owner when she opened 10+ years ago. One of her original crew members.

#10 brigid

brigid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

sorry for posting bad info. waiter must have been confused? glad to hear they will remain open. lookinf forward to returning.

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

Brigid, you posted what you were told. No need to be sorry.

Glad they're reopening!

#12 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

???New Owner??? Not closing? I went down there and talked to the owner, the same lady I have seen, spoken to for years, her name escapes me at the moment and as of this afternoon, she sure said that Friday was their last day and they would be closing. The waiter, the one that speaks decent English, he rejoined the staff recently, like maybe in the last two years. He opened, operates the hamburger stand across the street that I have wanted to try. I don't go out much at night, certainly very rarely for a hamburger, but I had intended to try his based upon his association with Sabores. I think he does burgers four nights a week and open for limited hours.

We chatted for perhaps 20 minutes. The man was preparing the plates and it was the lady who was serving and cleaning the tables. She said the past year had been disappointing in the numbers. I said that many businesses have called the past year worse than the year after Wilma when the number of visitor were slashed from many hotels staying closed for insurance reasons and the number of cruise ships were drastically reduced as one pier destroyed and the other two suffering significant damages. In walking over there, down fifth avenue, La Lobsteria was empty and Le Chef had one couple dining. Sabores had 12 or 14 people eating, many places would kill for those numbers, but their economical prices and good values means low profit margin and the need for volume sales.

I said a number of people already had expressed sadness and a number were talking about coming by this week for at least one last meal. She said she certainly hoped a lot would come in this week, it would be nice to be more busy for a change. And I added so if enough people come in by Friday, then you might could change your mind? "Well, it is not out of the question", the said. I think this is another business that has been adversely affected by the parking meters on Melgar. Because no one parks on Melgar, it has made many of the pay parking lots crowded or full, certainly limited free parking, but the whole hassle of remodeled downtown, many people try to avoid the whole hassle and traffic congestion.

GringaErin, whom did you talk with tonight, the large sized man that speaks some English, the fellow that has the hamburgers across the street? His limited days and limited hours, do not conflict with the normal hours of Sabores. If this is the case, that is certainly a change of what they both told me around around 2:30 this afternoon. It would be welcome and nice if this was the case and the consistency of quality and good value can be maintained. Regardless, this would be a good time for a lunch this week. I have never been disappointed in any meal

#13 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

The guy I talked to last night is Josue, who said he is taking over the business for the lady (whose name I can't remember either). He isn't working there now, but told me that he would be open on Monday... He's friends with my esposo, so I'll double check, but I'm 99.9% sure that Sabores will be open under a new owner/chef.

#14 kentuckoz

kentuckoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

I hope GringaErin is right. We just committed to a trip at the end of June. We always dine there once or twice when we come to Coz

#15 Hooked on Coz

Hooked on Coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Sky Diving, Riding my Fatboy

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

Very interesting topic, still not sure if it is or is not changing hands. Regardless the wife and I are going for lunch tommorrow. Ref the burgers across the street, found him last year and wouldnt miss making a buger stop weekly ever since! Not a big fan back home but who knew cranberries were so good on a burger( just one of the many choices) and a very good selection, 10 or so, to try. Go for it, it is worthwhile.

#16 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

This is copied from TA board.

Sabores isn't closing. Carmen is retiring from cooking but she will still be there to supervise -- it's her house, after all! -- and the menu & recipes will remain the same.

#17 KarenE

KarenE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

So what happened? It's now Feb. Are the open or closed?

#18 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Open

#19 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

For sure open. Just ran into the new chef this morning at the supermarket. He said business has been good so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users