• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dan&Brenda

Dan&Brenda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

I've never done it before. I've snorkeled several times. I know that they offer a free "lesson" in the pool, at our resort. Once you have the "free lesson" done, what else is required/recommended, before my wife and I could go out for our first scuba trip? Suggestions welcome...

#2 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

The free lesson at the resort is a Discover Scuba class. This will allow you to go out with that Dive Master on a shallow dive to just get a taste of Scuba Diving. I equate it to a drug dealer giving somebody their first fix for free, one time and you are hooked. After that you will need to read a book, take classes, do pool and open water dives and prove competency to achieve and an actual Scuba Certification (like a driver license).
If you are serious about wanting to dive you can do some of the needed requirements at home (book, classroom work, confined pool dives) and then do the open water dives in Cozumel. How long before you go?

#3 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

I suggest you stay on shore. Diving is a very dangerous sport left only to those of us who are professionals and you’re likely to be eaten by one of the thousands of great white sharks that inhabit Cozumel.

OK, just kidding, Zmans advice was spot on. I had my GF, her daughter and my own daughter get PADI OW certified last spring, and the online portion was a bit much but could be completed in about a week if you stick to it. The pool sessions were 2 days, all day. The lake weekend requires 4 open water dives. Here’s what I will tell you. Their open water dives were at a local scuba park in the DFW area, and for what we paid for getting there, admission, and air, doing your open water dives in the warm, clear waters of Cozumel would have been worth the additional cost.

For two days, the scuba park charged me $40 for my kid, $20 for me just to go in, and $32 for 4 air fills, and $30 for a 3 mil wetsuit rental. I think you can get the open water checkout dives for $250 all day long, so the difference is only $128 to avoid any pain and suffering in the cold murky lake. And I did not add the fuel cost to/from the lake 50 miles away x2. It was almost a wash...

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

MC

PS – There are no great white sharks in CZ. :D
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#4 Lisa H

Lisa H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

I like Mark's advice. We took our NAUI open water in an Arkansas lake in April, after a heavy rain. Visibility was about 3 inches. For new divers, low visibility in lakes can make you pretty claustrophobic. Not to mention, freezing off important body parts.

You probably can't go very deep after the pool lesson at the resort, but I bet there's plenty to see at limited depths.

I haven't been to Cozumel, yet, but I hear there are sharks -- pushing timeshares at the airport. ;-)

#5 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

Thanks!

The lakes pretty much suck as far as visibility, temperature and mobility due to thick wetsuits. I will say this, all of the inland diving definitely makes you a better diver. I did all my training through college courses, so my training was IMO better than through a dive shop as it took me two years (4 long semesters) to obtain my Divemaster cert.

For resort course folks, I have seen shops practice differently. Some limit resort divers to 40 feet, some have allowed deep dives to 80. I guess its their assessment of your ability, or their policies that determine this. Either way, the OW class sets a limit to 60 feet, but once you have a C card, noone will limit you to that, you’d be OK to go to 130.

I kept wondering how so many people would be suckered into hearing the timeshare talk... Turns out I got a Groupon the other day that as part of the deal (in the fine print), you have to sit through it. :D

MC

PS – Sorry, but I have one negative thing to say – I would steer clear of Del Mar Aquatics. Dive with Martin is wonderful. And no, I am not affiliated with any businesses in CZ, I only speak from personal experience with both shops.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#6 Gator & T

Gator & T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

I did my NAUI pre-work online which took about two weeks to complete. (I could have easily completed it in one but I tend to be a procratinator at times!) Then I took my test at the dive shop. We did my poolwork in my instructor's (CB Klopp, owner of Grapevine Scuba in Grapevine, Texas) scuba pool on a Saturday. Although it's not super cold in the DFW metroplex in November, since we were going to be in Cozumel for Christmas/New Years, rather than do my checkout dives in a SCUBA park, I chose to do them in Coz with Dive with Martin. (Joshua was awesome!) It was definitely worth the extra $!

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

rather than do my checkout dives in a SCUBA park, I chose to do them in Coz with Dive with Martin.

Does Grapevine Scuba do their OW dives @ Clear Springs in Terrell? So greedy...

DWM is a great op.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users