• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 diazfletcher

diazfletcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Hi Carey - I work at the UW epilepsy clinic in Seattle and we use pretty much exclusively Lamotrigine generic. While there was initially some problems with generic drugs for epilepsy (maintaining drug levels), they may have been corrected because that regional university center prescribes generic.

#22 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

But why buy it without a prescription in Mexico? Get a prescription from your doctor. If you need to, fill it in Mexico (I've have pharmacists on the island honor prescriptions I've written for antibiotics). If you fill it in the states*, you can get it for $4 buying 30 at a time, or $10 for 90. I'm not sure how much cheaper it would be in Mexico - my best estimate is you'll pay significantly more than 11 cents a pill there. Those prices are significantly below cost, and the market for generics such as lisinopril is global, so prices aren't going to be much lower in India, Pakistan, or Canada than here.

*This is the current price for 20mg lisinopril at Target and Wal-Mart pharmacies. This does not require any insurance or special program - it's just what they charge to get you in the store in hopes you'll buy toothpaste or socks. Other pharmacies (especially ones based in chain discount grocery stores) often come very close to this price. Big national chain pharmacies (CVS, Rite-Aid, and Walgreens, I'm talking to you!) charge much more, but still typically only around $15 to fill a 30-day prescription for the 20mg size.

#23 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:38 AM

Charles I have had no problem getting Buprenorphine, temgesic 0.2 mg sublingual here in Cozumel. Purchased it several times for others with severe tendonitis. This was for short term until I got Kenalog-40,Triamcinolone Acetonide Injectable Suspension. The temgesic was not cheap. I believe it was 600 pesos for 10 tablets.

#24 kathy_paamul

kathy_paamul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

For extreme cases of pain, end of life situations,physicians might finally pull out the big guns, Tylenol 3, 30mg of codeine and the ultimate, the biggie....Temgesic, Buprenorphine in 0.2mg size. That one is almost unthinkable, one to be whispered. I told the Internist whom we both share that I considered it at absolute sin that Mexico would not allow any pain medications on the market. I said if I cared anymore and had the energy I would file a Human Rights complaint nationally, but directed worldwide that Mexico was being unusually cruel and inhumane in prohibiting the multitudes of medicines available. Under extreme circumstances you can receive morphine, not available in any pill form, but by injection into an IV drip set up, no IM injections and only administered in a hospital.

we recently found out that my son reacts to most all pain meds but found nabufina to work (for him) better than morphine. It is narcotic, and he got it in clinic and the hospital (chest tube and cardiothoracic surgery) and it worked for him. When we took the ambulance from PdC to Merida, I actually held the ampule of nabufina as I'd bought it on discharge from the clinic, in teh event he needed it enroute. Also, once he could be weaned off the nabufina we went to tramadol (oral) and that worked very well for him also.

#25 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

we recently found out that my son reacts to most all pain meds but found nabufina to work (for him) better than morphine.

Nalbuphine is a really odd drug. One example of this is that it works considerably better for women and can actually increase pain for some men. It's also the only opioid available in the US that isn't a federal controlled substance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users