Best Jeep Rental

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Gopher

Golden Gopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Travel,Snorkeling,Food & Wine, anything by the lake.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

I've tried to read other threads to determine the best place to rent a jeep. Any suggestions? We are coming to cozumel for one day the end of February. In addition to suggesting a firm to rent a jeep from, do you think we should reserve it ahead of time or take our chances on arrival? Looking for a mid week day to enjoy the island. Price is not the main concern. We are looking for ease of transaction, good honest company and location near the ferry pier from Playa del Carmen.

#2 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

Thrifty has an office downtown & you can reserve a Jeep online. Usually around $45/day. We haven't used the downtown office, but have rented from Thrifty many times at the airport with very good service. Don't forget about the insurance.....with $0 deductible, it will usually be $30-35/day.

#3 burlygirl

burlygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:My kids and all they do. Reading. Researching vacations. Wine. I'm also crafty!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

i guess my question is a continuation of this question. :rolleyes:
Is there a jeep rental that doesn't have to be returned by 6? ;)
I do know the sun goes down, but its a bunch of us and i want to be able to spend the whole day.... :D

Thanks, KIM

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

Generally, the rentals are 24 hours, so if you want to keep it overnight, you'll have to plan on picking it up at a time where you can return it the next day
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#5 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

If you rent a car at one of the cruise ship piers (Puerto Maya) then the rental companies usually time the day to end when the ship departs. The car company makes a lot of money and you get only a few hours of car time. If you want to rent for 24 hours then book online or plan to pick up the vehicle at another location.

#6 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

If I understand your posting, you are a group of eight, coming from Playa for the day? For eight people you would need two vehicles. You might do as well just getting a taxi van for an island tour upon arrival at the ferry pier. Most rental agencies are for over night rentals or they are timed to the cruise ship departures and close around 6:00PM or earlier. You might try Less Pay, they stay open later, they are about 5-6 blocks south of the ferry pier on the waterfront. Only buy one way tickets for the ferry and make sure you know the last departure time for Playa.

Personally I think a jeep is the least appropriate rental vehicle. Some insist upon the extra sunburn, wind burn experience and hope you don't get caught in a downpour. On top of no protection from the elements, you have no means of locking anything up in a trunk.

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

For eight people you would need two vehicles.

In Mexico? Only kidding! lol :D
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#8 burlygirl

burlygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:My kids and all they do. Reading. Researching vacations. Wine. I'm also crafty!

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses. Last year we stayed on Cozumel our first 3days so renting was fine. but this year we are bringing people down and MUST visit Cozumel and show them the beauty. :D
I knew we would need 2 vehicles....
Anyone have an approximation on how much a taxi van would be, i am stuck in the position on "cruise director" on this trip... :o

Thanks,KIM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users