Advice For Services

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_casacozumel55_*

Guest_casacozumel55_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hi,

My wife and I are moving to the island soon full time. I am looking for recommendations on the most reasonably priced but also reliable TV & Internet services. Thanks, John

#2 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

We use Cablemas for Internet and Television. Very happy with the service. Cost is less than $40 US per month for both.

#3 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

If I lived somewhere else, I would probably choose Cablemas for phone, internet & TV. Unfortunately, there are no cables installed where I live, so I don't have that choice. Your options depend on where you live and what you want.

I have Telmex phone & DSL -- had to order the landline phone# to get the DSL. Price is fine -- around $30/month. My internet service is great but 99% of my telephone traffic is via cell phone. Everyone uses cell phones here -- and they text a lot because it's cheaper than voice. I use Skype for international calling & text -- works very well. I can receive TV and movie streams but watching on the small computer screen at my desk isn't very relaxing and I'm too lazy to unplug all the cables, move the computer to the living room, & hook it up to the big TV. I grabbed a nice DVD player on sale at a great price at Ched and swap DVD's with friends, download & burn DVD's, rent from Blockbuster, etc.

For TV, I finally bit the bullet and committed to Dish USA satellite. Can't comment on the service yet because it isn't installed. Less expensive is Shaw out of Canada if you can swing it (must be billed to a Canadian address) and Mexico's Sky, which doesn't have the programming I want.

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

If I lived somewhere else, I would probably choose Cablemas for phone, internet & TV. Unfortunately, there are no cables installed where I live, so I don't have that choice. Your options depend on where you live and what you want.

I have Telmex phone & DSL -- had to order the landline phone# to get the DSL. Price is fine -- around $30/month. My internet service is great but 99% of my telephone traffic is via cell phone. Everyone uses cell phones here -- and they text a lot because it's cheaper than voice. I use Skype for international calling & text -- works very well. I can receive TV and movie streams but watching on the small computer screen at my desk isn't very relaxing and I'm too lazy to unplug all the cables, move the computer to the living room, & hook it up to the big TV. I grabbed a nice DVD player on sale at a great price at Ched and swap DVD's with friends, download & burn DVD's, rent from Blockbuster, etc.

For TV, I finally bit the bullet and committed to Dish USA satellite. Can't comment on the service yet because it isn't installed. Less expensive is Shaw out of Canada if you can swing it (must be billed to a Canadian address) and Mexico's Sky, which doesn't have the programming I want.

I share the no cable internet problem. What I want to know is:

1. Is the Telmex thompson router crappy? I was considering bring a linksys for wifi and killing the wifi in the Thompson? (I think it is a Thompson. Speedtouch or something?)
2. Does bandwidth ACTUALLY increase if you upgrade your DSL? Do the tiers actually work and how fast are they, both up and down?

Please don't just give me the internet on the island sucks and is limited speech and that if I want upload hi-res to Facebook I may be killing a turtle somewhere. I am looking for the real techies out there to give me a read. There must be plenty of BW if they are deploying municipal wifis.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 Guest_casacozumel55_*

Guest_casacozumel55_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the information........John

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

1. Is the Telmex thompson router crappy? I was considering bring a linksys for wifi and killing the wifi in the Thompson? (I think it is a Thompson. Speedtouch or something?)
2. Does bandwidth ACTUALLY increase if you upgrade your DSL? Do the tiers actually work and how fast are they, both up and down?

I'm hoping to find the answers to your questions as well.

I have no expectation of getting decent wireless speed throughout a cinderblock house from one router anyway. I assume I'll need to pull cable and have at least a couple of routers anyway, so I expect I'll be disabling the WiFi in the modem/router anyway. While we're at it, can anyone say if the Telmex unit is 10mb, 100mb, or gigabit ethernet?

#7 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

May be best to post these questions again in the Techie Stuff forum.

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:42 AM

May be best to post these questions again in the Techie Stuff forum.

Agreed. Gentlemen, kindly copy your posts above and one of you start a new thread in the techie forum. I have some information for you but this thread got itself hijacked. Let's put the new info where people can find it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users