Dog Waste Compost

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 guerita76

guerita76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:aimless wandering, writing, photoshop, trying to understand people, snorkeling, jumping off the dock at the palapita, making myself laugh and learning everything I can

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

Starting to face the ugly side of having 2 doggies and thinking about trying to compost the waste. Has anybody on the island tried this? Any recommended containers or enzymes that I should use?

#2 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

We tried that in Washington state and it worked somewhat.

Now it gets bagged and in the garbage on garbage day.

The important thing to do is get high quality dog food as this really, really decreases the output. Those bulk fillers in the cheap stuff really create much more poop.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

YUCK...NO

Use the Google search engine on what you need to know, and do if you want to recycle dog waste.

check with the local vets as to if this is a good idea or not, and what it would take to make it safe to use in compost.

I have a compost pile, and would not use animal waste in it.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

Why not toss the turds in the blender and make chocolate malts?

Buwahahaha OMG this is funny! Sorry!
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#5 guerita76

guerita76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:aimless wandering, writing, photoshop, trying to understand people, snorkeling, jumping off the dock at the palapita, making myself laugh and learning everything I can

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

@crunc h: do you have a good local source for quality dog food? I gave up here based on the insane prices I was finding..

@Coz2wonder: the compost would only be used for flowers and such, nothing edible

@MarkC: Always appreciate your wry/dry/sarcastic insights... and yes, poop is funny.

#6 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

we built raised rock beds around our trees, filled about halfway with dirt, and just put our raked leaves and dog poop in there. actually doesn't stink as bad as i thought it would. trees are producing lots of fruit and doing well.
however, with 2 large labs, this system didn't work out for too long. the beds started to get too filled! even heavy rains didn't reduce it enough. fortunately the neighboring property has nothing on it, has 10ft high weeds, so it is getting nicely fertilized as the poop flies over the wall.
(did i say that outloud?)
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#7 diverN2H2O

diverN2H2O

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

www.cityfarmer.org will tell you what you need to know.

#8 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

We live in the City and we've done it for years with our two dogs....aka "The Mad Crappers". All you need is an area with good organics, earthworms and what ever else will rot. It makes great fertilizer for garden plants.

And before all of you go "Ick", what do you think organic farms use? Cow manure.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#9 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Oh cr*p I forgot what I was going to say

#10 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Yes, poop is some funny shitake! LOL!
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users