27 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

Buccanos, the absolutely lovely beach club and restaurant up in the northern hotel zone, has started opening its doors in the evenings on the weekends. Decided to check it out last night since I enjoy the place so much during the day.

The ambiance gets a 20 on a scale of 10. Just a real stunner of a place to eat -- lights of Playa across the channel, cruise ships leaving, the pirate ship drifting by all lit up for its nightly cruise. Very laid-back, mellow but attentive service.

A memorable evening with good food, an inventive menu, pretty reasonable prices for the locale for sure!! Fish is very fresh because Inez, the owner/manager, is married to a fishing capi, I understand. Heard this from Ann, the charming American woman who was waiting to guide us from the spacious parking lot to our table with the help of a flash light! What fun.

The atmosphere is extremely romantic and low lit. So much so that they give you little flash lights to read the menu. Again, what fun!

Go everyone! This is a keeper that should stay open.

#2 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

Great news. The North end needs another good, night time restaurant.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#3 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

So they finally did it! In November I was told by the wait staff and chef that this was going to happen and reported on it back then. I could not agree with you more Carey about how charming that place is. The main building may be an eyesore but the beach area is stellar as is the huge outdoor dining room overlooking the waterfall, kitchen, and PDC. I just wonder how the buggies are? I guess if you go late enough then you should be OK....

So what did you have Carey? How were the prices and items? A different menu then what is offered during the day?

Mikes

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

Thank you for posting, I am adding it to my list for my trip in May...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#5 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

Hey there, mike_s! If you go to their website, the full menu is online. It looks GREAT! We're going this Friday and I can't wait.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#6 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Thanks Kandy... DOn't know why I didnt think they had a webpage. Can't wait to go. If dinner is anything like their lunch it should be great. Be sure and post up a review if you have time after yall go!

#7 ccbill

ccbill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

We have been to Buccanos for breakfast and lunch and we were always pleased with service and food so we were wondering, could they make the big leap to dinner ? The answer is yes!!

We went there last night and we were quite impressed with both the menu selection, the service, and the quality of the food. The atmosphere is so different from the daytime azul water, ocean breeze, beach club view. At night the lights from the mainland stand out against a dark sea and the beach area is softly illuminated with open flame torches, and if that doesn't inspire a dream, the background music will.

The menu is well rounded and the portions are generous. We had a fresh Dorado pate' and the "Seared local octopus" to start and there was plenty for the three of us. We then moved on to the main event.
"Seafood Creole Fettuccini" that was prepared with fresh fish,octopus,and shrimp. The sauce was mildly spicy and never disguised the true flavor of each bite.

We had two of the nightly specials, Dorado cooked to your preference, in this case grilled, accompanied by a tangy citrus sauce. The fish was moist and cooked perfectly.

The third entree was a homemade cheese ravioli with lobster on top and a very fine truffle sauce.

We were so impressed by the quality of the food and the presentaion, not to mention bursting at the seams. The owner Inez came to our table twice during the night to check on our experience and she is a very gracious host. She insisted we try the mousse and who were we to argue? On the menu it is titled 'Sexiness by Chocolate" and it is presented in three separate servings all with a different purely magical taste.
The entire dining experience was memorable and yes, we will go back.

#8 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

I agree wholeheartedly! The food was exquisite - I would venture to say it's the best on the island. Inez knows we are "foodies," so she brought us an appetizer portion of one of the entree specials. It was a raw wahu in a citrus mix along with I don't remember what & it was phenomenal. I had the cesar salad with lobster, two in my group had the mixed salad & the other ordered the calamari appetizer. The salads were out of this world, & the calamari was fried & melted in your mouth.

For the entrees, two of us had the lobster macaroni & cheese, one had the mahi mahi adobe style, & the other had the mahi mahi cooked in a pablano sauce. Again, all out of the ballpark. My husband & I had to try the sexiness by chocolate for dessert, served in shot glasses. That night the flavors were bourbon & vanilla, mint, & cappucino. All were excellent & the perfect light dessert. I thought the prices were in the moderate range, certainly more than reasonable for what we got.

I agree that Inez is a great hostess. She checked on us multiple times, as did Annie. A perfect evening & we will definitely be going back! If you get the chance, you MUST GIVE IT A TRY! Great ambiance as well.

Kandy

#9 WindLaker_2

WindLaker_2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Maybe I was at the wrong place, or maybe because it was Sunday. I saw their logo on the menu, so I'm sure we were at Buccano's.

We were at Buccano's Sunday afternoon. Arrived about 3:00 or so. Had a few drinks, layer around, went in the water. About 30 min. before sundown, we were told they were closing.

Really a downer, because we planned on watching the sunset from their beach.

#10 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

They are open for dinner on Friday and Saturday evenings.

#11 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Diving; cooking; gardening

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

As per the suggestions above, DH and I went...or should I say, tried to go...last week in the late afternoon. We were stopped at the entrance by a security guy who asked if we were going to the restaurant. We answered in the affirmative and he said "that will be 100 pesos each for admission". We said "forget it". went elsewhere. Judging from the menu on line, prices here are not inexpensive. Adding 100 pesos just to be seated!!!??? Fuggedaboutit.
Marg Moran McQuinn

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

They have started charging a cover because otherwise their beautiful beach club is crammed with people using the facilities without spending a peso. The guard at the gate needs to be given a sign in English that explains that the cover charge is applied to your lunch/dinner/drink tab because I'm sure that is Inez's intention.

#13 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

Indeed he does. We would have stayed had we known that. If you know the owner personally, you might mention this to her so she does not lose other clientele.
Marg Moran McQuinn

#14 JMCADAM

JMCADAM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

When we went to Buccanos for dinner on a Saturday night, we were not charged a cover to enter. When we went there for breakfast on a Sunday morning, we were charged the cover, but were given a ticket that applied the cover to the cost of our breakfast. It was explained clearly. About our dinner, we were the first there on a quite windy evening. The place was not busy. Annie and Inez were both very gracious. My husband ordered Red Snapper, which he said was very good. I had Coconut Shrimp with pasta. It was very tasty, but there were only five shrimp. Our waiter, Miguel, was very attentive. Because we were there early and Annie felt badly that she was not at the front to greet us, we were served a complementary chocolate mousse dessert. Our bill, which included three glasses of red wine came to $65 with tip. Ambiance was wonderful, and we will probably return next year for dinner. For Sunday breakfast, we each ordered omelets that were served with juice, coffee, and bread for a cost of $23. After deducting the 100 peso cover, we paid $7 plus $4 tip. We stayed and enjoyed the beach, pool, and snorkeling. Had a very nice day there.

#15 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

I received a private message from the owner last night. She confirmed that we should have been informed that the admission fee is deductible from the meal costs and asked for more details; unfortunately I didn't have much more to add; it was pretty cut and dried from what I posted. She has offered us a complimentary breakfast to make up for our problems. That was nice of her!
Marg Moran McQuinn

#16 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

So we went for our complimentary breakfast yesterday and it was quite lovely! I can understand the buzz. So much nicer than many of the southern beach clubs and the food and service was excellent. Many thanks to the owner for responding to me about the problem we encountered. This is a hidden gem, in more ways than one. You have to look hard to find the place!
Marg Moran McQuinn

#17 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

3m, I'm glad you went back. In my most humble opinion, Bucanno's is the #1 restaurant on the island. Especially for dinner! I'm now losing count of the number of times we've gone up there for dinner, but every time has been a wonderful dining experience. The ambiance, Ines, Anne, and the food are beyond compare. I can't possibly name a favorite among the things I've had because everything is so special. Appetizers: calamari, popcorn shrimp, lobster ceasar salad, quesadillas, panuchos, and wahoo tartar. Entree: lobster macaroni & cheese, lobster tempura, shrimp lasagna, fish & chips, wahoo adobe, wahoo with a truffle poblano creme sauce. Dessert: sexiness by chocolate (definite favorite), cheesecake. I'm trying the parfait for dessert this Friday and, yes, my mouth is now watering thinking about it.

Kandy

#18 JMCADAM

JMCADAM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

I'm still thinking of the Lobster Mac & Cheese that we didn't try when we were there. It's on my list for next year. That will be our first dinner once we arrive.

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Last night had a wonderful birthday party for my husband at Buccanos...Our dinners was so far above excellent. The prices are great, the surrounding are breathtaking.

Anne, who works with Inez at the restaurant assisted me to create the perfect evening. You only get to be 65 once.

I wanted a separate cocktail and appetizer area, and she and her staff created the perfect setting. They set up 6 Adirondack chairs, with small tables all facing the ocean and the sunset.

Then we moved to our dinning table which had my husbands baby pictures surrounding the hurricane lamp on the table... surprise!

Inez is one of the most create chefs in my book, and every dish that is served is prefect.

It is everything everyone has said previously, and more.

Thanks too to Annie/Cozumel Radio who suggested Buccanos in the first place.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#20 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Happy birthday to Greg. We were out there last night, too, Paula. Didn't see you, though. Guess I was too wrapped up in the food ;o)

Kandy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users