• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 detroit...(texas)

detroit...(texas)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hi all! I am currently working toward my bilingual ed degree. While in Antigua last year I noticed that they had several places that you could stay in the home of or lodge of a spanish speaking family for a full immersion experience. I was wondering if there are any places similar to this on Cozumel. I would like more interaction than simply staying in a resort or condo and speaking to local shopkeepers. This will also be a vacation for my husband, four year old daughter and I. We have visited Cozumel about eight times now, and love everything it has to offer, just looking to add to that experience!
Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Melanie

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

I would suggest you rent a villa/house in town. And, for your purposes, el centro -- not the corpus christi area -- would be best. You will have an English speaking property manager to get you settled and deal with problems. But other than that you can immerse yourself to your heart's content in language practice. Use the downtown stores for all your needs just like the locals do. Spend your Sunday evenings at the downtown plaza where families gather to visit, eat tamales and dance and you'll have plenty of opportunity to strike up conversations. All you'll need is a big smile.

That said, I am not personally aware of any actual immersion programs here on the island. There is one in Playa del Carmen but that's not the best local to hang out with a little kid in my opinion. It's a younger, wilder crowd with a very strong European component.

#3 detroit...(texas)

detroit...(texas)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Thanks so much Carey! That answers my question, and that sounds like it will suit our needs! And I agree, we visited Playa for a day last year, and it's safe to say that Coz is much more our style!

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

De Nada

Again to clarify -- the majority of weekly rental homes are in the Corpus Christi area. There are lots of lovely places there But for your purposes, its awfully residential with fewer little bodegas and other types of stores and there are a lot more foreigners. That's why would look for pretty much any other neighborhood. For sheer density of little stores and to be close to the plaza and with lots of Mayans and Mexicans out on the street all times of the day, cantinas, etc. etc., I would look for something between Avenida 45 or so to the east, Calle 14 Norte to the north and Calle 11 to the south. Ideal is Avenida 35 or lower and between around Calle 7 Sur and Calle 10 Norte.

One way the city is divided is between Sur and Norte. Anything north/norte of Benito Juarez is North -- so Calles 2,5,6,8,10,12,14 and Airport Blvd are all labeled Norte. South of Juarez the parallel to the ocean Calles re labelled Sur and run Salas, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 etc. Anything south of Calle 11 Sur and west of the 30 Avenida is the rough borders of the Corpus Christi neighborhood. Where, for your purposes of language immersion, you might not want to stay as its very quiet and residential so not much opportunity to interact with locals.

#5 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

I'm not fooled! Even numbered Calles like 14 & 10 are Norte! That's what Carey meant to write...

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, Deb. I edited my post to fix that important point or two.

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

I believe Spanish English Academy can arrange immersion experiences.

#8 detroit...(texas)

detroit...(texas)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Great info! Thank you guys so much!

#9 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

I noticed that the SEA people also have cooking classes. Has anyone taken these? What was your experience in taking the class thru SEA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users