Anyone Had A Baby Here In Coz?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 guerita76

guerita76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:aimless wandering, writing, photoshop, trying to understand people, snorkeling, jumping off the dock at the palapita, making myself laugh and learning everything I can

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

Something about the fresh ocean air, I guess! Newly pregnant and looking for a recommendation of ob/gyn and idea of costs. Any other island pregnancy tips and resources would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

Something about the fresh ocean air, I guess! Newly pregnant and looking for a recommendation of ob/gyn and idea of costs. Any other island pregnancy tips and resources would be greatly appreciated.

Felicidades!!!
There are good reports about Dr. Garcia at the San Miguel Clinic from one long time member. In fact do a search on gynos and you'll turn up that thread. I don't think she speaks much English. Will that be a problem for you?

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

congrats! had my kiddo 5 yrs ago here in the clinic of dr rechy. average price for most OBs will be 15,000 pesos plus hospital fees. count on about 30,000 to be safe and this should include the anesthesiologist. even if you don't think you need one, paying the 4000 pesos to have him/her there JUST IN CASE is a smart move. otherwise they will be on call somewhere else.
we didn't need the drugs, but it was the anesthesiologist who pushed down on my belly when i just could not get the kid out. and he popped out!
if you get a private clinic, the baby stays with you by your side all night and you are typically out within a day if a natural childbirth. 2 days max if c section.
you are going to hear all sorts of things to use during and after by the local ladies. some things work, others you may just want to do to please them. nothing will hurt you, from my experience.
if you decide to go the eco route with diapers, which i did, it will safe tons of $$, and drastically reduce the garbage and be better for your kid. i can help you there too. feel free to PM me anytime.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

feel free to PM me anytime.

And also feel free to conduct this informative conversation on the forum as much as you feel comfortable doing. I'm sure the discourse would be very informative. And interesting to a lot of people -- including me.

I had my daughter in a birth center in High Point, NC, for example, using a certified nurse midwife because I hoped to (and succeeded in) avoiding going the more impersonal US hospital route. And I also hoped to avoid drugs which I also was able to do. (Although in retrospect, if there was a next time, I always said just hit me in the head with a hammer and knock me out for awhile, kay? The birth itself was painless. It was the 20 hours in labor before that took it out of me.)

It would be interesting to know the different ways of doing things down here. For example, since malpractice suits don't feature large if at all here, I would guess that there would be less fetal monitoring and rushing to a caesarian at the first sign of fetal distress as there is in the US -- or was 26 years ago when I was preggers.

I'm also guessing that epidurals aren't the gold-standard here that they are -- or were -- in the states back then?

And I expect the docs and nurses here employ some low tech common sense techniques as a given. Like, for example, my daughter was in the turned around, breech position two weeks before labor. All my mother's baby's were born that way. But instead of girding their loins and preparing for a difficult birth as the typical doc.'s in the US would have been doing back then, the midwife had me spend a few minutes per day kneeling on the floor with my bottom in the air and my chest on the ground I think it was. And, dang, if that kid didn't flip around in the course of about 10 days!

Of one thing I feel sure, the care would be very good here, very attentive. And if there's one thing they've had one hell of a lot of experience with here it's delivering babies!

#5 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

when i was going to the birth classes with alex (dra mariana is the "lamaze" instructor, very good, very informative and part of the class fee is to have her at the birth by your side if you choose), we were told that episotomies are the norm for most OBGYNs here, rechy being an exception. he truly tries to avoid that procedure. also, epidurals i think are pretty common. however, the treatment in seguro is not pleasant according to friends of mine. the mother to be is alone with the docs, hubby/mom/sis/whatever can NOT be in the room with her during the birth. putting in an IV is almost always an immediate starting procedure in the public sector. if you go private, you have much more control as to your desires.
based on a highly regarding recommendation, i chose the bradley method of childbirth and the doc was not happy, as it puts the mom 100% in control. i had to get a drop or two of oxytocin to jump start my uterus but that was the extent of the intervention, other than the big bear of the anesthesiologist who pushed axel out!
my post care was great.
getting day care to get used to using cloth diapers was a little challenging but not bad. not the old timey square cloth diapers, the new fancy ones. you can spend 20,000 pesos over the course of 2 years and fill up the land fills with diapers that take 200 years to breakdown, or about 3000 pesos and never throw one away and your kid won't have horrible icky diaper rash. your choice. plus i had him 100% out of diapers in the daytime in 1yr 10mo. out of night diapers 4 months later. take that pampers. :)
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Oh, man, Let's hope it goes without saying from now on that you don't want to use the public hospitals here for anything you don't absolutely have to. I did Bradley, too. My research convinced me that LaMaze didn't work and most women who went that route ended up taking a lot of drugs.
And Bradley was highly rec.'d by the birth center and midwives I used.

Yah, it's great to avoid an episiotomy! Which I don't think is possible if you have an epidural since you can't push with an epidural is my understanding. So it's good there is a doc here who doesn't automatically perform that procedure. I am told that it takes a loooong painful time to recover from an episiotomy. As I can well imagine.

#7 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

An episiotomy is not always a given if you have an epidural. It depends on many more factors then what is being discussed at the moment. Just as an episiotomy is still often needed in a "natural" Birth. I Have an excess of 20 years in mother/baby, Pediatrics, and PICU care and I have seen it both ways. The same thing with C sections, it is not true that once you have a section that you will always have sections. I have participated at many VBACS "vaginal birth after c section" and the Mom's are thrilled at being able to do it.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

guerita76, CONGRATULATIONS :D

My advice, ask for the recommendations on the best OB/GYN, and Ped on the island, and go to a private hospital/clinic for the delivery.

Follow the directions of your OB, and you will do fine.

Enjoy every moment of it, you will be in good hands here.

Cozumel is the isle of fertility, and we have a lot of healthy babies to show for it.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 guerita76

guerita76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:aimless wandering, writing, photoshop, trying to understand people, snorkeling, jumping off the dock at the palapita, making myself laugh and learning everything I can

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the responses and pearls of wisdom! I had been anxious to get to a doctor, so I went to see Dra. Garcia at San Miguel (prior to the other responses) and was very happy with her. Will now take some time to check out the private clinics and figure out which way to go. Also great to hear two of you speak so positively of the Bradley method. Will definitely be sending some PMs to ask more questions as the months move on and preparations start, especially interested in those diapers! Thanks again for the replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users