• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 beachgirl

beachgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Well as the days for our move are coming quickly now I am finalizing the necessities list to bring along. I know we can by most our toiletries in various places so it is not necessary to bring down. My question is regarding sunblock for face and body.

I recently had Basal cell carcenoma removed from my face along with several pre cancerous spots removed from hands and arms. I am still baring the stitches and black eyes as a result of the surgery. Yes...I am one of those who as a youngster used baby oil to get the tan, played all day in the sun, and walked the beaches of Cozumel for 20 years. Oh...and less not forget I just had to have that little glow to my skin before arriving so used a tanning bed. That said all is well and I am now the wiser!

I still plan on the beach walks ( now with floppy hats and proper sunblocks) and will continue to enjoy the sun. FYI I bought a great product that is a tinted mositurizer that matches any skin tone for my face. It is a bit pricey but after checking around and trying a few I am a believer in this one. It is called Intellishade Tinted Moisturizer with a SPF of 45.

My surgeon stated I need not worry about anything over 30 as long as it was UV and UVA. Is there a readily variety and suppy of nongreasy facial sunblock and all over available? I am guessing I will be a needing to stock up!

Thank you for any info regarding sunblock kids.......see you in a few weeks!!!!!

#2 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

I live in Texas and it gets blistering here.....

Personally, I don't really care what they say about >30 SPF sunblocks, *I* can feel the difference...

I am dark skinned and with 30, I can still burn have to re-apply often.

I always bring my own with me, because the vacation destinations always rape you price wise.

I use 45, 50 or 60 SPF "NO-AD" brand sunscreen, and it's available at select Wal-Marts.

Mark
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#3 beachgirl

beachgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Thanks much Marc for responding.

Hubby is also a dark skinned fella and has been much more dilligent than I in reapplying every few hours or after getting out of the water. We too use the Walmart AD brand and wonder if Sam's may carry it there. ?? Anyone know of this?

My issue is mostly with facial sunblock as I jsut hate that yucky greasy feeling.

Our daughter will be done shortly after our arrival so if need be I can have her bring something from stateside.

I stand by my doc's advice but see no reason not to pick up something higher if available. He did say people don't use sunblocks as we should and need to apply apply and then again apply as we go though the day.

Thanks again guys.

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

No prob - one thing I hate is a sunburn! :angry:

IDK if you can check walmart.com in mexico, but you can in the USA - its not as easy to find as it used to be. I stock up when I find it!

Mark
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#5 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

you are in luck.
we exclusively carry two brands of sunscreen:
Joshua tree is a waterproof, organic skin toned sunscreen (i used it in ironman from swim to end, with only a touch up on the nose after an hour and 19min swimming, and NOT A TINT of a burn).
also we carry exclusively reef safe, which is a biodegradeable waterproof sunscreen in spray and lotion form (one spray also has bug repellent) and is extremely effective.

i am an triathlete, and use this stuff while cycling, running and swimming and never get burned with only 1 application. even after 6 hours of sweat and sun.
we are located a block and a half from margaritaville going away from the water.
http://www.tropicals...friendly-sprays
http://www.jtreelife...un-stick-spf-33
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#6 beachgirl

beachgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for the heads up and I will check out the links!
I know where you are and look forward to coming in.

#7 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

nauticab,
Do you carry safe sea or do you know if anyone on the island does?

#8 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

i do not and do not, sorry. sunscreens just reef safe and joshua tree.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#9 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

After trying expensive as well as drugstore facial moisturizers (Olay, Aveeno) that claim UVA & B protection but didn't work so well for me, a friend recommended Eucerin Everyday Protection Lotion w/SPF30. It has zinc oxide and titanium dioxide in it - 2 ingrediants that actually work according to the Environmental Working Group. Zinc oxide is that white stuff lifeguards put on their nose. The Eucerin does have a white sheen at first, but it blends into the skin very quickly. One can find it at most drugstores here in CA, and happily, it is moderately priced. I've also seen it at our Kaiser Hospital OTC pharmacy as well and it's on Amazon.

Good article with links to EWG's Sunscreen list:
http://www.washingto...eing/19651.html

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#10 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

This is a little off topic but since we are talking sunscreens...
A few years ago on vacation (just so happens we were on Cozumel) we noticed some of our white t-shirts we were wearing started getting orange stains on them, especially around the neck. By the time we got home half of our clothes were orange. I researched and it turns out that if you have a lot of iron in the water you wash your clothes with it has a reaction with an active ingredient that is in most standard sunscreens. The ingredient is avebenzone. We are on well water that has a lot of iron so it made perfect sense. Since we have started using sunscreens without avebenzone we haven't had any problems. Just thought I would mention it in case someone else has had this problem and didn't know the cause.

#11 beachgirl

beachgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

Great tip on the Eucerin product "mermaid" Ccannon!
The zinc oxcide is exactly what I need. Highly reccommended by my doc.
Thanks to all who chimmed in.

#12 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

Good to know. I have had the same problem and did not know what was causing it. I am on well water and it has an extremely high amount of iron in it. Thanks Sam

#13 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

the joshua tree stuff we carry and i use also has naturally occuring zinc oxide. truly the best i have ever used.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#14 beachgirl

beachgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

All good Nauti.... thanks for keeping me informed. All the help i can get to prevent further damage is appreciated.
If you see some lady wandering around with a great big smile on her face, hat, and blobs of stuff smeared on her face....well that's me! All good no worries as I am home!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users