#1 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

Posted Image
for those who would like to know the fare from airport to the Casa del Mar, btw didn't have any pesos so she asked
for $20 without giving me any change go figure

Posted Image
This was the Tempura shrimp appetizer at the Blue Angel not good batter to thick and heavy not cooked through properly

Posted Image
view from the bank elektra teller looking toward exit

Posted Image
wanna buy a microwave

Posted Image
could some buy these poor guys a ride on lawnmower

Posted Image
lunch at Sabores dw had the stuff chilli verdict was excellent

Posted Image
I had the chicken Milanese again it was fab, crisp exterior and piping hot inside succulent oh so yummy

Posted Image
this little intruder wanted to join us for lunch but was persuaded every so gently that it was not going to happen

Posted Image
sitting at the central pier with our frozen drinks from Fat Tuesdays they are mouth watering

Posted Image
what we are seeing whilst enjoying our drinks

#2 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

bulsaros,
That stuffed chili verdict from Sabores looks awesome. Do you know if it is a regular on the menu? I will be on the island the week after next and stuffed chili peppers are my favorite.
Speaking of...Does anyone know if Tuesday is still chile poblano day at Tonitas?
Thanks

#3 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

Ohhhhh - last pic - right across the street from Palmeras! I love their triple treat fajitas!!!!
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

You bought your ground transportation ticket at the official window? Why pray tell did you not ask for change? I have never heard of any irregularities of this nature except from middle man, pay for your hotel transfers in advance, never from the ticket booth where prices and exchange rates are plainly marked. Even at a low exchange rate, that translates into $9 dollars at the most.

#5 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

I was just trying to inform people that be sure to ask for your change if you are ever in the same position as I was, me I was just happy to be on the island again and never realized the amount I was due back until later (my fault) and also I just wanted to get out into the sunshine,as for advance booking where is this done.

#6 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Broylance, yes it is an every day item,also maybe the wife could try the chicken Milanese it was so succulent,the batter was crispy and light
geeeeezzz I am salivating at the mouth as I type this.

#7 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:07 AM

Bulsaros, about 85% of the people pay with dollars and their exchange rate is fair. Sure it is low, but not a total ripoff like the exchange place toward the left, the one that is 15-20% low. but no commission. There are no commissions anywhere, that's stupid. Short of using an ATM the Banco Azteca in the back of Elektra is the best place to change cash. They give you better rates than many banks, they are faster and nicer and they are good if you ask to break down the impossible to use $500 pesos notes, so a good choice.

Many booking sites offer advance ground transportation to (and from) your hotel. For about $30 dollars or so, someone will meet you and hand you a ticket for the same shared vans. They make it sound complicated and what if there is no room left. The people that buy online feel like real suckers when they see everyone else buying their own.

Your experience was not typical. I might have expected the girl to run after you with the change. Now the company, they are true robber barons, but I can't imagine what would happen if an employee was caught cheating or taking advantage of a tourist. It would not be pretty. If in that position, I might ask, can you spare my children? So even if you were a bit inattentive, no excuse, not forgivable on her part. Although everyone else in that lobby, all the tourist advisory people, they are all crooks, liars and cheats.

Your restaurant pictures, the last one was Las Palmeras. A big difference in the LAS. If you found and like Sabores, Palmeras is the same style food and prices. They are a busy restaurant in the afternoons, Sabores has more atmosphere and ambiance of their garden setting, but in quality and value, I'd rate them equal.Palmeras goes back more than 25 years. They were the business model that Sabores copied. I have never been disappointed at either place, but Sabores tops all with their quiet garden setting. Give Palmeras a try, the corner of avenue 25 and calle 3.

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

Re Las Palmeras, the food is much MUCH better 1/2 block down at Las Flamitas. Same street, 1/2 block south. My friend, Josefina, a professional cook will not eat at Las Palmeras. The caldo (broth) for their bean soup was positively rancid the time I tried it. Very popular with locals so I don't think I'm doing them any harm by posting this on a tourist site. But I will have to say, I do NOT recommend Las Palmeras.

Tonitas on Salas between 10 and 15 is a good one to try, however. And, as I said, my favorite loncheria is Las Flamitas -- 1/2 block south of Las Palmeras and on the same side of the 20 AVenida between Calle 3 and Morelos in Centro

#9 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Noone agrees with me on Palmeras or Coconuts, go figure LOL
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#10 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

It sounds like there's a second Palmeras. I thought you were talking about Palmeras on Melgar downtown. To me, that's the Cozumel version of Denny's.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

I personally like Palmeras on Melgar. The breakfasts are great, the club sammie's are super.

I'm a food snob, and I enjoy the b-fasts, and club at Palmeras.

I had b-fest yesterday at a very popular place...it was not worth the 100p's I paid, but everybody goes there.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#12 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

OK let's get theses places named correctly. It is Las Palmeras on Me;gar. The other one is a loncheria called LAS PALMAS..very different.

#13 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

Noone mentioned Palmas...

#14 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

That's the problem, the ONLY Las Palmers's is on Melgar, the one onya'll were talking about is LAS PALMA"S NOT Las Palmara's.

#15 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

Posted Image

I was specifically talking about Palmeras, which was shown in his pic - I have never even heard of the other.

MC

#16 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Re Las Palmeras, the food is much MUCH better 1/2 block down at Las Flamitas. Same street, 1/2 block south. My friend, Josefina, a professional cook will not eat at Las Palmeras. The caldo (broth) for their bean soup was positively rancid the time I tried it. Very popular with locals so I don't think I'm doing them any harm by posting this on a tourist site. But I will have to say, I do NOT recommend Las Palmeras.

Tonitas on Salas between 10 and 15 is a good one to try, however. And, as I said, my favorite loncheria is Las Flamitas -- 1/2 block south of Las Palmeras and on the same side of the 20 AVenida between Calle 3 and Morelos in Centro

I think this post by Carey has got everyone confused :blink:

#17 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Yes, when she refered to to it as being down the street from Flamita's, that would be Las Palmas

#18 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

LOL - way to go Carey ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users