• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hello all, we will be down April 4th - 14th and want to do some fishing. Can you please offer your opinion on whether we should choose Flat or Deep sea. Especially want to know what we can expect to catch (if any;) type of fish at this time of year. We plan to use Fish Cozumel....(opinions)

Anyone else headed to Coz on these dates?

Thanks all in advance!

#2 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

Theres marlin, baracuda, wahoo, and sharks...

for marlin, it needs to be SUNNY - they use a topwater bait like a metalic spinner... So if its overcast, the sun wont shine on it.

They also use downriggers for the deep water fish a trawl...

we caught a baracuda that was huge, and a wahoo... unfortunately the wahoo was eaten by a shark during the fight to reel him in.

this was 20 years ago, so i cant tell you who I used.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

I have caught dozens of Marlin. We used to run fishing ops. I have never ever seen anyone use anything other than bait fish (mostly ballyhoo) stuck into an octopus-skirt type lure to catch Marlin, Mahi-Mahi or Wahoo. Never in my life have I seen a metallic lure used for Marlin. I also disagree about the weather. The nicer the weather the less chance for fish. When we fish we look for squalls to fish under. If it is a sunny, flat water day like today I wouldn't even bother. Metallic lures are excellent for Barracuda.

The best fishing in the area in my opinion (deep seas) is for Mahi-Mahi when they are running. This occurs from spring through early summer. When the Mahi run you can catch fish all day long. When they are not running it is very much a hit or miss deal.

These are just my opinions based on my personal experiences deep sea fishing here, the Bahamas and in the Florida Keys.

Cozumel Diving

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Nice write up. Interesting, cause my 1 experience was alot different.

The day I went was overcast, stormy / rough and even rained for a little while.

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#5 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

Probably the crackers that taught me were too cheap to buy real tackle. :)

Cozumel Diving

#6 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

LOL or mine were - who knows?

Here in Tx, I use the cattle boats - if a kingfish nails your tackle, we do the "kingfish walk"

thats when you're moving tot he front of the boat along the side going ober/under the guys next to you to avoid line tangling! LOL!

MC

#7 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. So at mid april..whats running? Everything pretty much migrating back? That would be nice. Annnnnd same deal with the flats? anyone fished them? Many questions I know, I don't mind a 4 hr boat ride, but its better if we're catching fish! Ok...to open one more can of worms (ba da bum!) charter recommendation? THANKS!

#8 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

The way we would run it would be two lines running straight back from above the helm station. Two lines on out-riggers. Two lines about 15 feet deep on down-riggers. This gives you a pattern of bait that resembles a moving school of fish. Marlin love ballyhoo and squid. So the ballyhoo with a squid skirt make the fish really curious and the smell of the bait fish makes them go for it.

One of the coolest things I ever saw was a video of a Marlin taking bait. I met these guys from Penn Internation while fishing and they had made a video where they attached a camera just in front of the bait. The Marlin would swim up and kind of tap it with their bill and when they felt comfortable.....BAM, they hit it like a bomb. Cool stuff.

Had a Tiger Shark bite a White Marlin in half directly behind the boat once, about 150 yards off-shore of Los Pinos. That rocked! Multiple times when catching Wahoo I have had Dolphin come in and attack the hooked fish.

When it is working, IMHO, there are few things as exciting as Marlin fishing. When the line pops off the clip and the reel starts zinging.....oh yeah!!

Cozumel Diving

#9 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Cut it out Mike - you're making me wanna go fishing more now LOL

Spencer: Check this out:

http://www.cancunvis...ingcalendar.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users