• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#21 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

Now ScubaBoard....are you talking about that? There were hundreds of posts there and all kinds of half-fictionalized type BS posts about what or what was not in the news (of course these were 99% written by people who cannot speak one word of Spanish).

If you are talking about the articles on ScubaBoard. That was the longest running thread of hate and so called experts spewing bullshit, that I have ever seen. Neither I nor my wife, who is a DM, could hardly take anything posted there seriously. It was despicable in general.

This is why I do not post on SB - too much BS and it's like playing the telephone game as a kid... instead of it being SB, BS would be a better name for it...

Per PADI. PADI has every legal right to cancel instructor, DM and dive-op status. They do it every month of the year.

The only thing is this.....someome has to report them and in order to do so the accuser is known to the accused, so this rarely happens. I blame PADI for this. If there are a couple of dead divers, why should I have to make a report for PADI to take interest in it? Why would someone trying to do the right thing have to take heat for it.

Not pleased to find out you have to put yourself out there - anonymous tips would be a great thing! Let PADI do the investigative work!

There are sometimes down currents at Santa Rosa and in the spring sometimes very strong, but it is not a normal current.....you can get out of it and you can almost always see it from the surface.

Thanks for clarifying! It just seems that every time something bad happens, it was a "downspout..." I just have this mental image of a twisting water tornado sucking you down like the one you see in a sink or a bathtub... LOL
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#22 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

I see so reading a board discussion that was trying to get to the bottom of what turned out to be some very blatant and dangerous violations of safety by this dive op you feel was a total waste as nothing serious was being discussed?

I think what he was saying was that there's more speculation and opinion than fact. I personally would rather read the facts than all the BS as well.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#23 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

I think you need to separate the issues into:

1. Was it a good idea to take that boat across the channel given its construction, and;

2. The deal on the marine park permits.

For the first issue, it would seem (in hindsight at least) that wasn't a good idea. I think the boat was sporting a really nice new expensive motor too, so he or somebody sort of paid a stiff 'fine' when that motor went to the bottom.

For the second issue, it would seem that Mau needed a permit to take divers in the park and 'rented' one for his boat which required him to paint the name and number of the boat with a permit on his, which of course isn't actually legal. (Maybe it just wasn't a good idea to 'borrow' the name and number of a boat that had a history of sinking before it was 'retired'?)

Amazing stories I heard from the survivors and their close friends. Wow.....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#24 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Let's hear some more amazing stories about the rescue, Chief. I'm all ears! You say you know more people who were in the sinking boat that was rescued by the Ruskies? Digame Digame. Tell me Tell me!

#25 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

For the first issue, it would seem (in hindsight at least) that wasn't a good idea. I think the boat was sporting a really nice new expensive motor too, so he or somebody sort of paid a stiff 'fine' when that motor went to the bottom.

Hindsight? Could an argument not be made that the reason the paperwork was phony / improperly transferred between boats is because the boat was not capable of what they were attempting? I smell a huge lawsuit in the makes...

This most recent article claims there is corruption and influence peddling.

WHAT??? Corruption??? In Mexico??? There is no way I could ever believe that!

Digame Digame.

Jajajajajajaja! (tengo que reirme en español tambien!)

I have had a lot of converstations about this.ScubaBoard: Nothing but BS speculation and a lot of arm chair divers holding court.

Armchair divers holding court! Hahaha – (English laugh now, no translation needed!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#26 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

So, what if any thing will happen to Mau.

To my knowledge, and from what accounts I have read from one of the divers involved, no complaint was filed, or demand made to the authorities by the divers involved in this insane escapade.

I do have a question through, why in the world would anybody get into a glass bottom boat, fully loaded to cross the channel and think it's a good idea IN THE FIRST PLACE.

As for Opal Dream, I would hope that they would respect Opal's memory and ensure that they are above any reproach.

If their is a policing arm for dive op's, then it is past time for them to engage.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#27 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

The fact that these 2 unfortunate incidents happened in Cozumel, should not deter anyone from diving or visiting Cozumel,these kind of incidents are happening
every day of the week in some other part of the world,by continually speculating about what did and did not happen,all you are doing is harming the island to a certain degree.
Potential vacationers to Cozumel may read these articles and decide not to visit due to the negative comments that are being banded about.
Suffice to say 1 person died and 11 people survived the 2 incidents god bless the families of all concerned
The first incident in Sept was foolhardy to some extent,the second incident was down to money and greed.
Sorry about my rant but I feel there is to much gossip going about with a great deal of it being totally untrue.

#28 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Here is a letter from one of the divers re: the boat sinking. I have tried to remove anything that would indicate their identity.

To my friends.
On Feb 2, 2012 at 8:50 am a dive boat I was on with 8 other souls sank just over half way to Playa del Carmen Mexico. The boat sank in mere seconds. We all got clear of the boat. As the result of my friend Gerados' encouragement and leadership his divers lived to tell the tale. He is a great instructor/divemaster. He was positive for 4.5 hours in 8 foot waves. Astounding.
My friend Kathy and I where slower swimmers so we lagged behind them. That was ok with me. I felt we had a better chance of being spotted with two groups. And I would be able to help Kathy better. She is a very courageous woman. She only faltered once, a juvenile file fish nibbled at her hand and kinda freaked her out. It would have me too. She listened to me and calmed down very fast. We sang, pretended to dance and looked at clouds to keep our minds healthy. I am proud of her for staying with me that way. It was difficult to not imagine things. One needs to create a different room in your head while in this place. My friend Kathy managed to salvage a dry box while the boat was floundering. Thank God for her having a phone AND makeup mirror in it. These two items ultimately saved our lives, at the least the catalyst to that saving.
For hours I tried flashing planes and ships with the mirror, they where too far away. Once a helicopter flew directly over us at about 200ft but did not see us. It was going way too fast.
I saw a ship leaving Cozumel and ultimately this ship was the one that would pluck us out of the boiling ocean. This ship saw my flash and Bens' beacon light almost at the same time, as they where about a mile away. This ship is named My ICE or ICE. It is owned by a Russian gentleman. My new BFF. I hope and pray one day to shake his hand and thank him as he gave permission to his brilliant crew to search for us. Captain Allan Weaver is master of this incredible boat. His crew of international stars nothing less than courageous and valiant. As the second emailed me the other day, he told me it was no chance they had done a MOB(man overboard drill) just days before. In almost the same spot. Thank you God.
Also just before I dove into the water to get the gear as the boat sank my mask floated into my hands, like it was being pushed. Again Dios.
My emotions and feelings have again been altered by this talk with God. I thought constantly about my amazing wife. My girls, that they would be all in His hands. I thought about my wonderful step daughter and her great husband and the grandkids. All with great prayer of joy that they are in my life.
I know as a man I have created good things that God has given me ability for. And with the same breath I have made bad decisions. For both areas of character I must thank God for guiding me through. Mostly for helping come to terms with my errors. Truly I must right them some how.
I made peace with Him in the water. I truly had no fear that took away my sense of life. I am grateful to my faith IN Christ. I am grateful God gifted all the people involved with that days' rescue.
I am grateful my friend Ben was with me that morning, that minute when we dove into the boat to retrieve gear. He is a great man too. And his son Lucah, I can not say enough except Mumbaassa 2 also roooooooaaaarrrss with pride at the young one getting his mane. He is cool in my books.

My foot has skin gone in several areas and is quit painful. My hotel has been fabulous about me not being able to wear shoes. They allow me in the restaurants to eat, shoeless. No less a crime when not injured. lol. Park Royal hotel rocks.

Cozumel Diving

#29 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

The fact that these 2 unfortunate incidents happened in Cozumel, should not deter anyone from diving or visiting Cozumel,these kind of incidents are happening
every day of the week in some other part of the world,by continually speculating about what did and did not happen,all you are doing is harming the island to a certain degree.
Potential vacationers to Cozumel may read these articles and decide not to visit due to the negative comments that are being banded about.
Suffice to say 1 person died and 11 people survived the 2 incidents god bless the families of all concerned
The first incident in Sept was foolhardy to some extent,the second incident was down to money and greed.
Sorry about my rant but I feel there is to much gossip going about with a great deal of it being totally untrue.

Great post. Thanks. I would never call it a rant.

Cozumel Diving

#30 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

Wow! I got goose bumps reading that beautifully written post from a survivor. Thanks for posting that, Mike.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say that Mike, CZDM on this board, was made the moderator of this dive forum for a reason. He is indeed a true insider who has lived and worked here for many years and can always be relied upon to give it to you straight whether you like it or not. His creds are sterling. He'll give you the skinny but he's also not going to compromise his sources of information by pasting them all over a public forum.

#31 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Mark, I am sure CZMDM knows more about it than most posters, but I don't think the paperwork had anything to do with the crossing. I think the old boat was registered, but didn't have a permit for operating in the marine park. I don't know what rules if any apply to crossing the channel, but it isn't a park permit I don't think.

I think the paperwork issue is more just about if you want to have a dive op, you want to go into the park and if you want to go into the park, you have to have a permit. In this case, it appears it was 'rented' permit.

Carey, CZMDM's post about covers the way I heard it too.

I also hear besides ticking off the dive shops by closing the port more often, the new port captain is also getting tougher on safety inspection. I don't know that it is just about the incidents; sounds more like that is the way he rolls. You will note ALOT of brand new Mexican flags and international dive flags on the boats. Apparently it is that kind of attention to detail.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#32 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

[quote name='cvchief' date='23 February 2012 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1330023669' post='18214']
Mark, I am sure CZMDM knows more about it than most posters, but I don't think the paperwork had anything to do with the crossing. I think the old boat was registered, but didn't have a permit for operating in the marine park. I don't know what rules if any apply to crossing the channel, but it isn't a park permit I don't think. }

I don;t know anymore about the documents than what was reported. The divers in the incident....only they really know what happened in its entirety.

I am not some all knowing guy. I have many years experience of owning boats and diving all over Florida, the Bahamas and Cozumel, but I consider that very lucky and I don't think I am above anyone or Joe Cool Diver or anything. But when I do -post and try to be sincere and somebody misquotes me, calls me a liar and then goes off on a name calling spree.......I don't play that.

I am not referring to you here chief, but to coz00 or whatever that persons handle is.

Cozumel Diving

#33 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Yea, Mike, I was just suggesting you could probably better answer what, if anything, special you need to cross the channel. I know you are supposed to report to the Port Captain if you take divers north.

The one thing I didn't hear but meant to ask was if they tried to remove the 'windows' and covered the holes. I sorta thought that in the pictures I saw of the refit you couldn't see the hole but there weren't any real bottom pictures. The floor pictures look like the 'top' of the hole was decked over. You would think if they went to that trouble, they would have fixed the hull too so maybe the repair failed? That would make a different question yet than someone taking a glass bottom across the channel. (Not asking you to answer that CZMDM, just my musing on the issue.) Was a nice looking motor though. 4 stroke Yamaha 250. That couldn't be cheap. 15K maybe?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#34 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

Sounds like he and his wife had a near death experience and I think he wrote it up rather well. I guess one could say that the divers who got on that boat should have known better. But if they weren't terribly experienced, I'm not sure how they WOULD have known what to look for or what to expect. So I really don't think they 'deserved' being in a terrifying boat wreck like that.

How far out were they, anyway? He mentions 8 foot swells so I'm thinking they were out a good piece.

#35 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

it’s a sea, not an ocean... The waters were warm, but boiling is a long way away from 80-85 F. And the boat floundering gave me the idea they had a lot more time than previously indicated, just to name a few examples.
:)

#36 JohnN

JohnN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

I've enjoyed this forum for a couple of years now. What a wealth of information, and thank you all who contribute in a constructive way. Doesn't have to be positive, but costructive, I think. I've always thought that if I couldn't make a constructive contribution, then I shouldn't waste anyone's time. I don't need to see my name in print. It amazes me the number of those who apparently do, however.

Which brings me to the reason for my post. Mark needs to take a minute to look up the different, and well-used and accepted, definitions of "boiling". The author of the impassioned letter used it in perfect context. Nothing to ridicule in its use. Not knowing simple definitions, however...

Next post in a couple of years.

John

#37 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

I don't know anything about it but there was a discussion at my neighbors yesterday about this incident over coffee and I wasn't quite all awake yet. My understanding is it was a glass bottom boat but had been fiber glassed over. The other point that was made is the permit thing is pretty common here. The last point was the majority of the boats here will sink if they start taking on water as there is no flotation built into them and fiberglass is heaver than water.

I don't know if it is true but it comes from a reliable source.

#38 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Carey, thank you soooo much for being a gracious respectable host and ridding the thread of unpleasant thoughts. Hope to meet you someday, we will be there April 4th - 14th staying at Casa Coral.

#39 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:06 AM

You are very welcomed, Spencer. But I can't take all the credit. I have a small band of stalwart friends that help call the shots on these forums. These include Charles, Mike and more recently Paula who has been helping behind the scenes for years and has recently agreed to join the moderation team.

#40 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

Carey, thank you soooo much for being a gracious respectable host and ridding the thread of unpleasant thoughts. Hope to meet you someday, we will be there April 4th - 14th staying at Casa Coral.

I'll admit to removing the thread. It was too ugly. And I will be blunt. This is not ScubaBoard. Keep it real. Don't be calling names and don't be hating on locals soley for getting information that you may not want to hear or I will remove the posts. There is no reason to get ugly about things.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users