• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

Can I walk to rd from airport to catch cab. We did this in the past because we just head to Isis to get our car and I don't think Isis is in walking distance and we hate waiting on thos vans being packed in like sardines in the heat. We only walked a block last time - would this still be OK?

Thanks all Spencer

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

If that's what you want to do, you won't have a problem.

If the taxi driver wants to risk the wrath of the taxi union, that's their issue to deal with.

Isis is not within walking distance.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

I used to do this in the past as well - at first, I had no problem getting a cab to pick me up right at the road, just outside that guardhouse gate by the turnaround. Then, I had cabs tell me they couldn't pick me up there - to walk down the road a little ways. I did that, and still had a number of cabs go right by me. Last time I did this, I had to walk about 2 blocks away from the entrance to the Airport before a cab would stop. Got to be a pain dragging all that luggage. That was about 3 years ago. Let me know how it goes.

#4 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Okay I will let you all know how it goes, last time we caught a cab at the monument circle..unfortunately it took him a full half hour to find Isis and tried to pawn us off on other rental agencies.....hmmmmm wonder if that was on purpose. No worry about bag drag we each only bring a small backpack, very light packers.

#5 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

We were down in December and planned on just getting a van ticket at the airport. There were five of us and they wanted 10 bucks each to take us to Hotel Cozumel. Since it was a beautiful day and we each had only one bag we decided to start walking. Just around the corner leaving the airport there was a airport van sitting. He waved us over and we told him 5 to Hotel Coz. He said 25 so we hopped in.

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

Tell your driver you want Panaderia Zermatt, or simply Zermatt. It's a bakery a couple of doors down from ISIS, and every taxi driver knows it. You could also ask for Kinta, one of the most popular restaurants on the island, which is right across the street.

One time I asked for ISIS and got a blank. I asked for Zermatt and got a blank again (at which point I knew the driver just didn't want me to rent a car there). Finally, I asked him to drop me at the taxi sitio, which is just around the corner from ISIS and which by definition he would absolutely be able to find. He hesitated and I'll swear he almost claimed he didn't know where that was.

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

I don't see why Isis gets such promotion there. YOu don't get a better car, better prices or better service. I'll be getting a car from avis and it wont require any bag dragging or getting lost... I'll get a better car, at better price and for $60 less dollars...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#8 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:21 AM

Mark, it is not alwaays about the cost. I pay $35 a day for a 4 door all insurance included, always in nice shape and reliable. But most importantly I have read many stories here and on other forums of how Margarita was right there on the spot immediately if anyone ran into problems with the police. She always explains to everyone new or not to watch when they pump gas, where to park and not to park and all the other specifics of driving in Coz. She does not nit pick over how much gas is left and no longer even checks the car over when we return it (guess because we have rented so often) heck she is so helpful and kind we even bring her gifts when we come down. Do you recieve the same experience at Avis?

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:35 AM

Nothing at all wrong with Avis. They have good cars and the location is certainly convenient. I don't, however, know the issue with how they respond to accident/insurance issues. However, I would ASSUME, and it may be a mistake to do so, that as the company has bought into an international franchise, they would be concerned about customer satisfaction should they wish to KEEP their franchise.

Bag dragging off the airport grounds to get a cab is not what it used to be. There's a long standing feud going on that has become more angrily active of late. This between the taxi union and the company that owns and runs the airport vans. Taxis picking you up on the way out of the airport are asking for trouble if they are spotted.

The airport vans aren't that bad. Just get a drink from the little Margaritaville shack, listen to the music and I don't get in the van until they about ready to leave. (Yes, I live here, travel frequently and, although at one time long ago I hopped a few taxis off airport grounds, I know longer do so for the reason stated. That and the fact that dragging your bags 3-4 blocks and then waiting in the sun in a place where there is no sidewalk and nothing to see is hot, sweaty work and a bore.)

#10 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

We ALWAYS walk out and to the West and have never much more than turned the corner to have a cab stop.

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#11 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

Do you recieve the same experience at Avis?

Maybe you have to rent from her more than once, I didn't get any such service from Isis, nor would I expect it.

Either way, The way we did it last year, cost us alot more - shuttle for 2 to/from the airport to the resort + renting the beater from Isis.

Picking up and dropping off @ airport will be so much easier and cost effective (so I think)...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#12 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

Avis and Hertz are very convenient right in the airport but prices can be much higher. We rented a car for two weeks a few years ago from them and when we returned the car before departing we had a drop off charge
of almost $200 US$!!..we now rent cars online through ACE CAR rentals..They are managed by Executive which is just across from the airport by the circle are excellent.. The prices are low, cars are very nice and clean and well serviced and we always have a phone number available if we have any problems. We had a flat tire once and they came right away and gave us another car with no issues.

So this can be another option for people arriving at the airport instead of taking the vans!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#13 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

Another ISIS fan here. She has been the easiest car rental experience we have ever had in 22 years of mexico and I consider those old VW's a 'fun" mode of transportation.

We come in May and last May had to go about 1/2 block after turning the corner before we got a taxi. I just do NOT want to do the shared dang shuttle experience. If the taxi drivers were smart they would just hire themselves out as regular taxi's right at the airport for those who want an individual ride.

Problem solved....

#14 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

when we returned the car before departing we had a drop off charge
of almost $200 US$!!

May I ask why they charged you that?

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Re Crunch's comment -- taxis are strictly forbidden from picking up passengers on airport grounds. End of subject except to say that I guess Aviomar's airport shuttle biz has a lot more clout than the taxi union does. There would be blood on the tarmac if a taxi driver was seen picking up passengers. I am not exaggerating at all.

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

I don't see why Isis gets such promotion there. YOu don't get a better car, better prices or better service. I'll be getting a car from avis and it wont require any bag dragging or getting lost... I'll get a better car, at better price and for $60 less dollars...

For interest sake, what do you pay total and what insurance and deductible do you have and for what kind of car?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#17 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

A few weeks ago I paid $35 per day x 2 = $70 for full insurance with a $400 deductible,and when I took it back my gas bill was $10,
at which I was pleasantly surprised at.It was not a Merc or Escalade but it did the job and we were cracking jokes
about it to ourselves,the second day we were coming back from the Money Bar it started to rain heavily within mins it started to
come in thought the roof so my wife ended up holding down the roof panel all the way back to the Casa Del Mar it was a laugh n a half.

Posted Image

#18 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

MarkC - Maybe you have to rent from her more than once, I didn't get any such service from Isis, nor would I expect it.

Mark just wondering why would you not expect the good service Margarita offers?

#19 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

For interest sake, what do you pay total and what insurance and deductible do you have and for what kind of car?

I do not recall, it was part of a package when I was researching the May/June 2012 trip. The initial price was about $130 for the rental... Or at least it was the difference between the hotel+air+car rate and the hotel+air rate... When you go to check out, it gave the option to add full coverage insurance for $(9day, which brought the total rental to about $220. I did not read the fine print on deductibles. The rental was through Avis for an econobox with air.

MarkC - Maybe you have to rent from her more than once, I didn't get any such service from Isis, nor would I expect it. Mark just wondering why would you not expect the good service Margarita offers?

I didn’t mean that about Margarita, I meant it generally speaking. I want to rent a car that will be reliable and get me from point A to point B. All I need is the car, I do not want or need the added ‘special hand holding’ and “TLC” - just cheap reliable transportation.

#20 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

lol, yeah it would have been a pita if it had happened on the first day in the morning, I think if I was hiring a car for more than 2 days I would want something
a bit newer and no potential leaks,the hold down special was a bit scary although it was fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users