• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:38 PM

I I wanted to be one of the first to post on the new board for Food and Drink. Having been a regular to Coz for over 12 years, my wife and I have our favs including Especias, Casa Denis, Rock n Java and La Choza. Lets get this updated with everyone’s best of the best from their personal experiences. Of course my all time favorite dinner place is no longer there – MESA 17 – but we have fond memories.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Jean McAdam_*

Guest_Jean McAdam_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

Our all time favorite was Morgans, but that's been gone for years. We also enjoy the Red Snapper for two at La Choza, and have had some good breakfasts there also. We like La Veranda for a special night out. For regular dinners, we like Plaza Leza, Abuello Gerardo, and La Conchita del Caribe out on 65. We always go back to El Moro because Ray is so gracious, although the prices are higher than some other places.

#3 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

I have enjoyed excellent dinners at Kinta. I have not yet been disappointed with the selection, quality, and price. Very nice outdoor courtyard with lovely
atmosphere.

Valli

#4 Guest_cozumelwantabe_*

Guest_cozumelwantabe_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:42 AM

I 2nd Kinta's, I can't wait to get back in July!!!
Of course my wifes fav. is/ was Le Chef.
Carey, how about a review now that it has turned into a wine bar I believe??
What do they have on the menu?
Thanks... Should I start this as a new post?

#5 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:27 AM

Mid-High end- Panchos Backyard, Especias

Cheap Eats- El Foco, Sabores,Las Tres Gatitos

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

I remember when the island was mostly divers near town. The night life was great and El Foco would be packed at 2am.

Cozumel Diving

#7 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:27 PM

We always have our first lunch at Pescadaria San Carlos and our first dinner at Casa Denis.
We love the food and the margaritas at Parilla Mission.
And even if I'm still full from dinner, I'll walk over to Tres Gatitos to pick up panuchos y salbutes for a midnight snack (If I don't eat 'em at midnight, I'll warm 'em up for breakfast). :lol:

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

Carey, how about a review now that it has turned into a wine bar I believe??
What do they have on the menu?
Thanks... Should I start this as a new post?

Wahl, I happen to have an Olive menu still here that I was using for reference for the wine article I wrote. Let's see... He has a lot of tapas stuff: fried brie, baked provolone, antipasto, beef of fish carpaccio, salmon timbale, tuna pita, jalapeno poppers. Those would all be yummy with wine. For entrees he's listing a shrimp pasta dish, a fish filet, roasted duck breast, filet mignon or lobster tail. He's moved the old Le Chef menu down to Le Bistro if I'm not mistaken.

#9 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:35 PM

First dinner is always at El Moro. Other favs: Kinta, Prima, Rock 'N Java, La Cocay, Parilla Mission, Plaza Leza, Mozaicoz (Bianca's), Especias.

We, too, still long for Mesa 17. Trish, Glenn, and Enzo are all doing well in Texas. We exchange occasional e-mails.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#10 jenster101

jenster101

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

The Rock n Java Thai Noodle Bar is AMAZING!

#11 nascarcharchar

nascarcharchar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Nascar, Golf, PBR Bullriding (Not Myself, just on TV), Cooking

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:26 AM

And don't forget about Rock N Java. Breakfast there is great!! We always stay at El Cantil so first night and last night are at Prima's. Especia's is always our second night stop. Atmosphere and Adrian are both great.

#12 SavageRose

SavageRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

Coming with my friends for spring break and we are saving our money as much as we can. How much do you think we should realistically plan to spend for food every day? We are happy with burgers and we love tacos, that kind of thing. Don't need fancy. Oh and how much is beer? Any cheap good places to eat? Cheap but enough food to fill up the guys especially?

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:56 AM

How much do you think we should realistically plan to spend for food every day? We are happy with burgers and we love tacos, that kind of thing. Don't need fancy. Oh and how much is beer? Any cheap good places to eat? Cheap but enough food to fill up the guys especially?

Click the Food link in the nav bar at the very top of the page. There's a Food on the Go article and a section of the restaurant guide that's called Cheap Eats. I'm updating the restaurant guide right now and will make two additions to that category of recommendations: Chilangos on Avenida 30 with ?? Calle 3 (help me out someone if I'm off a block) and La Herradura, on Avenida 30 about 8 blocks south of Calle 11.

You can eat lunch very inexpensively -- around $5/person -- for plenty of food. If you eat at a loncheria (lawn-juh-REE-ah) in town that serves the comida corrida (food on the run). For typically around $60 pesos you get a big icy homemade drink, soup and your choice of five or more entrees. The entree plates tend to be massive enough to fill up a college football player especially if he makes liberal use of the tortillas that are always in evidence on the table. Typically a large portion of entree with a side of rice and refried beans and a bit of salad or perhaps cooked carrots and squash. These places are open from around 11:30 until they run out of food at around 4:30. Mexican eat their biggest meal of the day around 3 PM so this lunch you are having is dinner for many so the sizes are substantial.

For dinner you can get by for $7 or under if you stick to the tacquerias which are also mentioned in the article. Soft tortillas with choice of filling is what you'll mostly find at these places. Beer is often but not always served. You can also get open faced snacks -- like panuchos and salbutes -- open face fried to a crisp tortilla topped with blackbean paste, chicken, cheese and salad.

All the places I'm describing are in town so keep that in mind when looking for accommodations. And while you're at it, look for a place that has a fridge in the room for snacks and leftovers as this will also save you bucks.

#14 SavageRose

SavageRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out. Between that $55 room for the four of us and low restaurant prices, I think we can make this work. Are there any beaches in town though?

#15 TiaTia

TiaTia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

I had the best shrimp cocktail for lunch at Popeye El Marino on Calle 2 Norte between Avenida 25 y 30 (Pedro Joaquín Coldwell). It was huge and was less than $10 USD.

As for beaches, if what you want is nice and sandy, then you won't find them unless you go to a beach club, stay at an all-inclusive or go to the east side.

~Tia
(Gracias to Linda S for taking me and Mama Grace)

Attached File  camaronesCT.JPG   136.19KB   9 downloads

Returning to Cozumel soon...

#16 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

I had the best shrimp cocktail for lunch at Popeye El Marino on Calle 2 Norte between Avenida 25 y 30 (Pedro Joaquín Coldwell). It was huge and was less than $10 USD.
Attached File  camaronesCT.JPG   136.19KB   9 downloads[/i]

Yah, Popeyes is good for the shrimp cocktail although the sauce is very different, isn't it? I believe they use orange soda pop as one of the main ingredients and no, I'm not kidding. I especially like that fried couch (caracol empanizado. But we all need to figure out when is the season when you're not supposed to eat it because it's protected since many restaurants completely ignore this.

#17 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

Charles? Leo? Anyone? What is the season for conch?

#18 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

Could you start a new topic on that, Dawn?

Thanks

#19 diverdicozumel

diverdicozumel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Travel, Culture, Rotary, Real Estate,Food,
    Great People

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:03 PM

Ahhh where to start...Kinta, Guido's, Breakfast at Bucannos is a visual and taste treat. Missing Coffelia so much.
El Pie de Carbon for Arrachera, Casa Denis, La Cocay. Los Otates, Especias. I wish I were a cow with 4 stomachs!

#20 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

I remember those days too, Mike. Them were the days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users