Best Eats

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 TC

TC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:An avid cook, sailor and all around water-baby, our bareboat sailing and diving adventures have taken us to ports in the Carribbean, French Polynesia, Thailand, Africa and Australia where we lived on-board for weeks at a time interacting only with locals. But our special love is Cozumel -- where we spend much of each winter for the sun, the food and the reefs. 2013 will be our 20th year at the Coral Princess. When not on the beach, I travel world wide as a courier for The National Marrow Donor Program - transporting donated bone marrow to leukemia patients in need. Next big adventure.....Botswana!

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

Headed back to our favorite island and just heard that Coffelea is closed. What happened? A new location maybe???

#22 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

SavageRose, definitely check out Carey's cheap eats page. We followed it and were not disappointed. Our favorites for cheap tacos are El Pique on 30th and Jaurez, and Los Seras (can't remember the intersection). Last trip we tried El Foco for the first time and really enjoyed. We also enjoyed Del Sur's empanadas.

#23 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

Headed back to our favorite island and just heard that Coffelea is closed. What happened? A new location maybe???

Yes, Coffelea's is closed. The owner is doing something else. The past year has been a real killer for businesses. Between the "economic crisis" and H1N1 (also known as the Deadly Mexican Flying Swine Flew), many regard the past year as worse than the year after Wilma.

#24 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

Tortas, Mexico's fantastic contribution to the sandwich.
Everyone knows about tacos, but lots of Americans don't know just how good tortas are.
On Cozumel, I've only had them at Tres Gatitos (good) and Super Hit (really good).

What is everyones favorite place for tortas? And which kind do you like?

#25 obispo

obispo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:almost anything

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

Recently I was back in Cozumel and had all the best intentions of trying all the places mentioned in this and the old chat section. Unfortunately, as the saying goes, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". I did not make it to even a small fraction of the mentioned places. I returned to Alberto's; went to La Choza and La Mision. I like them all for different reasons. I've never had a bad meal in Cozumel! Maybe next time I'll be able to hit some of the loncherias (more good intentions).

Obispo

#26 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

Places we ate in Cozumel – February 2010

El Abuelo Gerardo – Grilled Shrimp, Enchiladas, Coffee, Wine - $23 – Best meal for the $$

La Veranda – Coconut Shrimp, Fish Veracruz, Coffee, Argentinean Malbec, Complimentary Kahlua (2) - $35 – Very good, as always

El Moro – Cream of Asparagus Soup (2), Grilled Grouper, Chicken, Coffee, Margarita, Water, Complimentary Xtabentuen (2) - $35 – Good, as always

Plaza Leza – Enchiladas Suisse, Combination Plate, Coffee, Dos Equis, water, Flan - $31 – Good, as always – Love sitting here and people watching!

Jeanie’s Waffle House in Hotel Flamingo – Eggs Motulenos (2), Fruit Plate, Coffee, Orange Juice - $19 – Good (This is the original Jeanie’s, owned by Jeanie Wright)

Camilo’s – Shrimp Fajitas, Grouper, and two waters (no coffee) - $24 – Good, we will return

Casa Denis – Tortilla Soup, Avocado Soup, Red Snapper, Chicken Tostados, Coffee, Pina Colada - $32 – Good, although the Red Snapper dish was a little spicy to my taste

Parilla Mission – Tortilla Soup (2), Grilled Grouper, Chicken Tacos, Water, Margarita (no coffee at night) - $23 – Good for the price, although the grouper was not as good as El Moro

La Casa de La Morena – Coconut Shrimp, Stuffed Chicken Breast, Coffee, Margarita, Water, Flan - $35 – Good, but higher priced than we expected.

La Choza – Chips & Guacamole, Grouper Veracruz, Yucatan Grouper, Coffee, Dos Equis - $37.50 – OK – This used to be one of our favorites, but seems overpriced since the move.

Mr. Sanchos – Seafood Soup, Chicken Quesadilla, Sprite, Pina Colada, Water - $27.50 – OK

Zermatt’s for pastries – Yummy!

Jeanie’s, Camilo’s, La Morena, and Mr. Sanchos, and Zermatt’s were new experiences for us.

Places we planned to eat, but didn’t make it to this trip:
Tony’s – We were both getting over a 24 hour virus the night we planned to eat here
La Jarocha
La Conchita del Caribe – Good and reasonably priced last year, on par with El Abuelo Gerardo.
El Pescaderia San Carlos
Bucanos Bar & Grill – This place was highly recommended by others at Condumel.
Albino’s (Someone told us something unfavorable about this place??)

#27 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

Would you mind sharing what you were told about Albino's that was unfavorable? It has become one of our favorite places and the only thing unfavorable to us is that it closes fairly early. Enjoy!

#28 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

I don't like to post unfavorable comments when it is only hearsay, but someone we consider reliable told my husband the place has a reputation for patrons getting drunk. Surprising to me since it does close early. We have never been there, and I have really wanted to try it. Have you ever heard this?

#29 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

Well, if people are getting drunk at Albinos they are either sleeping it off upstairs or getting broken necks going down. Those stairs are pretty treacherous especially the second step going down which is at a very different height from the others and, its also a winding staircase.

That rep probably came from one person who was there when a table got a little rowdy. I've eaten there four or five times and its always been quite peaceful with a lot of families on Sundays so I don't know what to say about that.

#30 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

you really got some bad info on Albinos...and Carey is right, no drunk could make the stairs.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#31 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

It is so true that one person can have a bad experience and tell everyone they come in contact with; whereas, all the good experiences often go unreported.

#32 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the info. We get down a couple of times a year and go to Albinos a couple of times each trip. A very quiet area and a nice dining experience. Don't be afraid to try it next time. I don't like to post a bad experience because any place can have a bad night. There is a very hightly recommended place that we tried several years ago and had one of our worst meals and poor service. We never did make it back for the second try so we just dropped it from our list. Carey you have got to stop getting drunk at Albinos and giving the place a bad name. Enjoy

#33 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

On our list to try this week. Will keep an eye out for rolling drunks.

#34 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

Carey you have got to stop getting drunk at Albinos and giving the place a bad name. Enjoy

I usually sleep it off under a table in the back so that report prolly isn't referring to me. (hic!):D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users