• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

Since this past Monday, the horse carriages have been off the streets. The owners of the carriages stated that they would be appealing the ruling.

The city has already been busy finding jobs for the drivers...at least that was what was reported in the rags.

The reason for the quick decision was that a carriage had an accident with 4 tourist on board. One tourist had a scrap to her ankle. However, it was worse for the poor horse who was injured with cuts in it's upper thigh from jumping over the tongue of the carriage, as it struggled to free itself from the mess.

In addition, it was reported the death of 4 of the large horses.

We can only hope that THIS TIME IT STICKS, AND NO MORE CARRIAGES.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

Horses are filthy stinky and stupid animals and we do not belong on them or using them for joy rides.

I wish they'd rid the island of the dolphin abuse too. those poor creatures are always smiling and its a shame they're kept hostage to perform for a buncha ignorant tourists...

See em in the wild or dont see em at all.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#3 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

"I wish they'd rid the island of the dolphin abuse too. those poor creatures are always smiling and its a shame they're kept hostage to perform for a buncha ignorant tourists...

See em in the wild or dont see em at all".

I could not agree more. And if you think what they put in your shampoo is bad for you, you would be amazed at the chemicals they put in the water with the Dolphins, and the hazmat equipment the employees have to use when they are handling them. These are some very nasty chemicals. The Dolphins have to live in the same confined area that they use as their bathroom. This requires very toxic chemicals to deal with the waste.

See them in the natural environment. Nature did not intend them for your amusement.

All Gods creatures should be left in their natural environment.

I DO NOT like:

Dolphins in captivity
Fish in fish bowls
Animals in cages
Cutting the wings of birds so they can't fly

I DO love to see:

Dolphins in the ocean
Fish in Lakes, Rivers, and Oceans
Animals in nature
And birds in trees

Just my opinion.

#4 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

I have never been able to tell how many horse carriages there were. I assume maybe 8 or so. Most of the carriages will probably get sold to another location that allows horse drawn carriages, so the problem really isn't solved, is it?

I was on the island six times (every two months) for a total of maybe 55 days last year. I walked past them, I biked past them numerous times each trip. While I have not been happy with the exact working conditions of the horses, for the most part over the last year or two, the horses appear to be well fed and had adequate water.

I'm glad someone is going to find a job for the horse carriage drivers. It was easy work for them. I suspect their next job might be a little tougher than riding in a carriage and going "giddy up".

This will be one of the unintended consequences of people who don't understand working horses are just that and not the mythical children's book pony, "Misty of Chincoteague". (A great children's book, BTW. I read it as a kid.) But hey, at least they got rid of the carriages, right?

Some of the horses might get sold for similar purposes to the mainland IF the cost of transport is less than the sale price. The rest of the horses will probably be dumped out to pasture to die a slow death via starvation and exposure or sold to slaughter houses. Slaughterhouse meat is about 70 cents per pound and Mexico is the second largest producer of horsemeat.

If the issue was better working conditions for the horses, some of the horses might beg to differ as to what their alternative will more than likely be.

Funny thing though, how come no one asks what becomes of the horses?

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#5 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

Horses are filthy stinky and stupid animals and we do not belong on them or using them for joy rides.

I wish they'd rid the island of the dolphin abuse too. those poor creatures are always smiling and its a shame they're kept hostage to perform for a buncha ignorant tourists...

See em in the wild or dont see em at all.

Horses are beautiful, majestic, and not stupid animals. I owned horses for many years, and taught riding for quite a few. It is an awesome sport. I do agree they should not be abused as they are on the Island.

"A horse is as inteligent as its rider/driver/owner. It is a servant to man when in the company of man...the horse is not stupid, he will understand that food and comfort can come from man, man uses the spare energy that the horse does not need to search and consume food or to escape its enemies. A wild horse spends 99% of it's life eating, searching for food digesting and ****, procreating and running from whatever spooks it....the other 1% it spends sleeping...with it's eyes open for predators or other scary stuff. Because everything a horse produces as a domesticated animal is useful and basically clean...you don't get diseases from horse products. It is a very valuable animal to man. Its power is legendary, in fact without horses we would never have been able to become a great nation or to defend our shores from those who would have enslaved us and taken us over. Without horses none of the wonderful historic buildings or ships could ever have been built, We would never have had the world class farming industry we once had in the last century. The decline of horse power heralded the decline of all that was good and natural. " Fay Olinsky 08/2006

#6 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

"I do agree they should be abused as they are on the Island."

You might want to clarify that. I KNOW it is not what you meant and just a typo.

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

Horses are beautiful, majestic, and not stupid animals. I owned horses for many years, and taught riding for quite a few. It is an awesome sport. I do agree they should be abused as they are on the Island.

"A horse is as intelligent as its rider/driver/owner. It is a servant to man when in the company of man...the horse is not stupid, he will understand that food and comfort can come from man, man uses the spare energy that the horse does not need to search and consume food or to escape its enemies. A wild horse spends 99% of it's life eating, searching for food digesting and ****, procreating and running from whatever spooks it....the other 1% it spends sleeping...with it's eyes open for predators or other scary stuff. Because everything a horse produces as a domesticated animal is useful and basically clean...you don't get diseases from horse products. It is a very valuable animal to man. Its power is legendary, in fact without horses we would never have been able to become a great nation or to defend our shores from those who would have enslaved us and taken us over. Without horses none of the wonderful historic buildings or ships could ever have been built, We would never have had the world class farming industry we once had in the last century. The decline of horse power heralded the decline of all that was good and natural. " Fay Olinsky 08/2006

How strange that this is what popped up when I got quote for you Coz_Aholic??

Anyways, they are definitely stinky, and I do not want to be around stinky animals within the city limits – that’s one reason why I live in the city! Horses have a history of spooking for stupid reasons, and that to me constitutes a stupid animal. I live in Texas so we’ve been around quite a few horses and I have seen more than my fair share of horse freakouts – I don’t like being around them.

Notice, I never said ugly – they’re definitely pretty. I just don’t think man belongs on top of them or riding in a carriage behind them.

MC

PS – exception – Appaloosas are ugly... lol
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#8 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

@markC....an I thought you were being sarcastic. :D I'm with you on that stupid dolphin smile. Wish they would stop. Makes me smile,too. :D

Nah Ha 602

#9 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

@markC....an I thought you were being sarcastic. :D I'm with you on that stupid dolphin smile. Wish they would stop. Makes me smile,too. :D

LOL - thats one animal I truly love is the dolphin - and yesm they are always smiling, even when in captive hell. Gotta love em... :D

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

Seriously? Anti-horse? Horses are cool. If you think they are stinky, you are on the wrong end. You even have a mounted unit at Dallas PD. Somehow I imaging they must have been involved in breaking up one your parties or something Mark? :P

Treating them like cr*p isn't cool. I imagine you could do a humane horse carriage thing in Cozumel. The problem is no one is going to spend the money to care for the horses properly. I would love to ride a horse in the jungle or something, but I am too afraid in CZM that I might be supporting someone who doesn't treat them well.

If I was insanely wealthy, I would have a hacienda on the water with my own tequila factory. I would also have a horse so I could check on the grounds and the agave plants......

Posted Image

Mslf500: and Stormy, Misty's foal..... Ah memories. I attended a horse swim there years ago. Could not talk Mom into letting me buy one....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#11 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Seriously? Anti-horse? Horses are cool. If you think they are stinky, you are on the wrong end. You even have a mounted unit at Dallas PD. Somehow I imaging they must have been involved in breaking up one your parties or something Mark? :P

Treating them like cr*p isn't cool. I imagine you could do a humane horse carriage thing in Cozumel. The problem is no one is going to spend the money to care for the horses properly. I would love to ride a horse in the jungle or something, but I am too afraid in CZM that I might be supporting someone who doesn't treat them well.

If I was insanely wealthy, I would have a hacienda on the water with my own tequila factory. I would also have a horse so I could check on the grounds and the agave plants......

Posted Image

Mslf500: and Stormy, Misty's foal..... Ah memories. I attended a horse swim there years ago. Could not talk Mom into letting me buy one....

#12 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

I would say horses are just as intelligent as certain breeds of dogs and have the same feelings,
just watch the film War horse it would bring a tear to a glass eye :P

#13 detroit...(texas)

detroit...(texas)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

i hate to see anything mistreated or abused.. i have watched a handicapped child play with a dolphin and really made me think that it was worth keeping a few "out of the wild". I think that was the only way he could have had that experience.

#14 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Experiencing dolphins in the wild isn't that hard in Cozumel. Here's some video we shot near the condo.

Stormy....I couldn't remember the name. The pony swim is an incredible event.

Nah Ha 602

#15 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Excellent video. VERY IMPRESSIVE! That is how I love to see them.

Takes my breath away watching this, Very well done.

PADRISIMO, ME ENCANTA

#16 Gator & T

Gator & T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

Kudos to you, Coz_Aholic & cvchief. You said it perfectly. Horses are truly beautiful, majestic, super cool animals. And as for being stinky, the only part that stinks is that part that comes out of their butts. I love the way a horse smells ... like fine leather. And there is something about the compassion and love that shines from within their eyes.

I don't want to see any living creature abused and I hope these horses are turned out to pasture where they can live out the remainder of their lives at peace. As for the dolphins, I'm afraid as long as there is money to be made swimming with these beautiful creatures, little will change. But we can keep our fingers crossed and support those who work to earn their freedom.

Peace! TR

#17 Patches

Patches

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

Coz2wonder - thanks for this information. I for one am glad to see that those carriages are now history. Seeing those poor horses every day standing in the beating sun and then having to haul a heavy carriage in the heat drove me crazy. I for one would be more than willing to donate money to ensure that these horses get to retire peaceful and safely. I am not on the island right now but will be in March break. Who would know what will happen with these poor horses? Is there any way we can help? I am so happy to hear that there are so many caring people on the island. Now, as for the dolphins, that is also heartbreaking. I refuse to visit Chankanaab and other tourist traps for that very reason. Who knows where the Chankanaab dolphins come from? I know that a lot of the dolphins that are captured in Taiji, Japan are destined for many of the dolphinariums in the Caribbean. I would not be surprised if these dolphins come from there. Do you know what has to happen in Taiji for these dolphins to be captured? All you have to do is Google "Taiji dolphins" and you will see what I mean. So the fact that they are kept in tiny little holding areas is just a small part in the chain of cruelty that these dolphins have had to face. Hopefully the dolphinariums will eventually all disappear, but the only way this can happen is for us to protest by not supporting these places. I am doing my bit so hopefully more people will do the same.

#18 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

The horse carriages and the dolphinariums are among the two worst ambassadors for Cozumel. There is a lot of cruelty to animals in Canada and the U.S.(and elsewhere) but the difference is, as a visitor, I feel directly complicit in the cruelty and feel powerless except to not participate. There must be a better way to use tourist dollars so that people can make a living.

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

As of yesterday, still no horses on the streets...there is a Face Book site dedicated to the horses in Cozumel...you can find it by searching for it using the name 'No Calesas En Cozumel.

As to what will happen to them if they are not returned to work...my opinion is if they where not taken care of when they did provide income to the drivers, and owners. What will happen to them is of great concern because now they will be a complete burden on the owners.

As for turning them out to pasture. The grass they feed on now is low in nutritional value, and being staked outside in the hot sun and rain will serve to increase their suffering. What will happen to them when there is a tropical depression, or during a hurricane.

In this case, one problem was solved with the horses off the streets. Now what to do with these horses without creating another form of abuse to them.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#20 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

In the United States there was I believe an Executive Order banning the slaughter of horses. My facts may be a little rusty and if someone has better information, please correct me. But as I understood it this ban was encouraged by animal rights groups, so the President signed it. It was later discovered that it would be unconstitutional to prohibit an owner from shipping the horses, since they are property. So what happened was the horses were being shipped to another country under miserable conditions and then slaughtered somewhere else. So quietly, and with the support of the Humane Society, the order was rescinded. Once again allowing the slaughter of horses. Because according to the Humane Society while it is not a humane thing to do, it actually ends up being more humane than the alternative.

This may seem irrelevant to the topic. But the point I am making is that these can be complicated matters. And just because you won the battle does not mean you won the war. As Coz2wonder correctly points out: "one problem was solved with the horses off the streets. Now what to do with these horses without creating another form of abuse to them". Very well said!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users