Carnaval Trip February 2012 Part 1

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

Claudia and I came to Cozumel in February 2012 for a week. Claudia (a high school art teacher) had a mid-winter break that happened to correspond to the Carnaval week. Plane tickets from Detroit direct to Cozumel ran about $600 a piece. We left Detroit at 8:30 am and landed in Cozumel about 11:30 (Cozumel time, one hour different). We went through immigration and then customs with no problem (got the green light). We bought a ticket on the 'authorized' van service and left within a few minutes. The van took us to ISIS car rental. Margarita at ISIS is normally the first smiling face we see each trip. She was ready with the car we had arranged with her thru email.

Posted Image

A lot of people on this site talk about the dangers of renting scooters so I took a photo of a sign that Margarita had up in her office.

Posted Image

Instead of getting the VW bug (like I usually do), we decided to get a little roomier car this time. The bug (with insurances) runs $30/day. The stick, no A/C 4-door VW Pointer was only $35 a day. We don't usually need the A/C in February so we went with the Pointer. It worked very well for us.

Posted Image

We have always stayed in town for all our earlier trips. This time we decided to stay away from right on the beach. After talking with some of the people on this blog/site, we decided to stay at the Residencias Reefs. They are a condo complex (5 buildings surrounding a beautifully landscapes garden area) with 2 pools and a beach area. It is at kilometer 14 south of town, about 100 yds away from the Carlos and Charles/San Francisco/Paradise Beach beach clubs.

Posted Image

Entrance to this place is tightly guarded with front gate that is always attended. For those who have never been there before I'm including several photos of the place. The property is shaped like a U, with the beach at the open side of the U and the buildings around the outside edge. One pool is close to the beach and another one further away. There is a view of the beach from the pool closest to the water.

Posted Image

Here is the end of one of the buildings. They have studio units, 1, 2, 3, and 4 bedroom units. The 3rd floor units also have access to private rooftop terraces.

Posted Image

We stayed in a first floor, 1-bedroom unit in the building farthest from the beach. It was quite stunning when we first walked in. The photos don't do the place justice. The photos pull everything to a midrange/grey tone but the units had a great warm brownish tone to the tile. The kitchen had black marble countertops, a glass/ceramic stove top (that we had to go online and download an instruction book for since we had never used one like that before, a side-by-side fridge/freezer, coffeepot, blender, toaster and microwave. Since we cook a lot, we had to get some extra plastic bowls and pitchers for the place but other than that it had enough cookware and tableware. Here is a view of the dining room and kitchen from the living room.

Posted Image

And a view of the living room from the dining room.

Posted Image

The bedroom was large. It had a queen bed and a sofa that pulled out to another queen bed. There was a closet large enough for the two of us. Both the bedroom and the living room had sliding glass doors that lead out to a covered terrace where we had breakfast each morning.

Posted Image

#2 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hi Dan. We've always done the bag drag out to the road to get a taxi, but are getting tired of the hassle. How much was the 'authorized' van service to ISIS per person?

#3 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

I think it was about 6 per person. I seem to remember the lady telling me 12 US. I used to do the bag drag also but the last time I did it a taxi picked me up at the circle and was immediately surrounded by vans that yelled at him. I was told later that the 'van people' technical had the concession within 3 blocks of the circle. So I would have to walk down to airport road and ave 50 to not anger the van people. If I have a bunch of people with me. I leave them (and all our luggage) at the airport and take the van myself to ISIS. Then I come back and pick everyone up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users