Carnaval Trip February 2012 Part 6

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

One of my favorite dive sites is the Palancar reef. There are at least 4 separately identified sites at this reef. Probably the shallowest of these sites is called Palacar Gardens. Its got towering walls of coral that form corridors that you swim along, some with little mini-tunnels called swimthrus.

Posted Image

I'm really happy I got this next shot. Out of the corner of my eye I saw this large ray swimming along the top of the Palancar reef. I was able to get my camera up and take the shot in time.

Posted Image

A crab sitting under an overhang.

Posted Image

There is a very shallow area just outside the Caleta Marina entrance called Paradise Reef. The part closest to shore is a sand and grass area where the snorkel tours like to hang out. It is a good place to look for sea horses.

Posted Image

Eels are pretty common - both green and spotted.

Posted Image

And again, a lovely landscape.

Posted Image

Most of the dive sites people go to are south of town. The dive sites north of town are considered a little more difficult since the currents can be stronger. I had never done any of the north dive sites but I read about a site called the 'eagle ray wall' (most locals call it the Cantarel wall). Sometimes you can see a whole group of large rays swimming together in formation. And sometimes not. This was the one guy we saw during our dive there.

Posted Image

And the infamous Lionfish. (After we took the photo, Pancho speared him - the marine park pays a bounty for each lionfish killed. All of us divers were expecting some lionfish ceviche for the next day. but a big triggerfish kept fighting with Pancho for the lionfish and Pancho finally just gave it to him.)

Posted Image

And finally we surface. For those who are not divers, all the dives in Cozumel are 'drift dives'. The boat takes you to a spot where you start your dive, you jump in and descend. The current moves you along the reef. The boat captain keeps track of you by your bubbles and when you end your dive and surface, the boat is right there to pick you up. This makes the diving pretty effortless and low-stress. You don't have to 'remember' where the boat is and figure out how to get back to it.

Posted Image

Next posts will show the rest of the week above sea level.

#2 Design Kim

Design Kim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

Thank you so much. These are lovely photos!

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

Wonderful trip report, DanB! Thanks so much!

4 more days till paradise!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users