• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Design Kim

Design Kim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

We happily stumbled across this place after kicking ourselves for taking the wrong street home. We were walking back to El Cantil from the Mercado and instead of walking down 10, we found ourselves on 5. Now, we know that this dead ends at the cemetery gate and we have to walk a block out of our way to go around - but we were on vacation and strolling around Cozumel is one of our favorite things to do, so on we went.

Just before the cemetery we noticed this place. It was cute and looked well maintained. We wandered in to have a look. It was about 2:00 in the afternoon and the place was packed with locals. Intrigued, we went in to investigate further. We talked to one of the waiters. He told us that they are open until 7:00 and that one of their specialties was lionfish. He showed us the menu. (I have a picture if I can figure out how to post!) On the way out, we noticed a truck of theirs with their logo and advertizing. I think they must also be seafood purveyors for the local restaurants. And there was a line advertizing sustainable fishing. Always a good thing.

We had been wanting to try lionfish, so we came back about 6:00 for dinner. It was still quite busy. We both ordered the Pez leon entero - the whole fish for 75.00. Before they brought the entree, they served us chips and mixed seafood ceviche. The only other place where I have enjoyed cheviche is San Carlos. This was every bit as good, if not better. The lion fish arrived. It was absolutely delicious! It came with rice, beans and vegetables - all nicely seasoned. The meal was more than generous enough for me.

All of this and served under a lovely palapa roof. The locals at the table next to us seemed to be celebrating some event. Their food kept coming out, botanas style. Each dish looking better than the last.

We will definitely be back!

Attached Files

#2 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Design Kim,
Were you there last week? We were staying at El Cantil last week and talking to a gentleman at the pool (if we exchanged names I don't recall). He said they had happened along this place and wanted to go back to have dinner that night. I believe it was Friday because they were leaving the next day and we never got a chance to see how it was.

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

That lionfish is good stuff, isn't it?

Bahia del Caribe is now on my list for when we're back in a few weeks. I must have driven right past it last week, but one sees things differently on foot.

#4 Design Kim

Design Kim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Broylance - Yes, that would have been us! Val did say he had been talking to a couple at the pool about this restaurant while I had been doing a little bit of snorkeling.

And mstevens - yes, I'm sure you would have missed it from a car. There is a sign out front, but you have to walk in past the front building to get to the restaurant area. I didn't pay too much attention to the building on the street, but I recall that it looked like there was some sort of carry-out window. I probably would have investigated further if we had been there a few more days.

#5 Design Kim

Design Kim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

My other half has a few comments that he thought I should add, and so I will copy and paste:

why don't you add that the guy did tell us they have had the restaurant going for a couple of years + they have all the regular coctels one might expect + that takeout window you alluded to , i believe that is what it is and there were airport transport drivers waiting there for their order when we left . . . don't know if their orders were for cooked food or fresh fish but either way - locals

#6 valentino52

valentino52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

that's my girl!
signed, the other half

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

It is behind the fishing co-op. There is a stand in front to buy seafood and the restaurant behind. They have been there for years. The seafood at the stand is really inexpensive and much fresher than the Ched or Mega.

Cozumel Diving

#8 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Diving; cooking; gardening

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

I did a really quick review on ScubaBoard. I don't know why anyone would buy fish at Mega or Chedraui with this option so close. When we went, they gave us free seafood soup, free fried whole fish, free ceviche and free crab in mayonnaise. Finally had to tell them to stop! This was mid afternoon.. DH and I shared a plate of fish majo de ajo.
Marg Moran McQuinn

#9 valentino52

valentino52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

I want to expand a bit on something Kim briefly mentioned in her original post above. Another favorite spot of ours 'Pescaderia San Carlos' 

On 50 bis en la media 3 south and Salas. So worth seeking out.

We went there for the first time several years ago based on Carey including it in her restaurant recommends and we have been there every year since, AT LEAST ONCE per trip.

For us, if we arrive on Sabado, it's drop the bags at the condo ASAP and head right over there (as they are not open for dinner).

Fun any day, but Saturday afternoons are the best. Diego has a kind of sound-machine-karaoke thing with a piano keyboard that he fires up

and while it's being played by a musician friend of his, Diego pops in and out to handle some of the vocal chores.

Wonderful food, try the great ceviche (shrimp, fish or conch), and talk about family, fun and locals - we always have the best time there.

#10 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

I want to expand a bit on something Kim briefly mentioned in her original post above. Another favorite spot of ours 'Pescaderia San Carlos' . . . .

Fun any day, but Saturday afternoons are the best. Diego has a kind of sound-machine-karaoke thing with a piano keyboard that he fires up and while it's being played by a musician friend of his, Diego pops in and out to handle some of the vocal chores.

Wonderful food, try the great ceviche (shrimp, fish or conch), and talk about family, fun and locals - we always have the best time there.

I also love Pescaderia San Carlos, and I always schedule a Saturday lunch there when I'm in Cozumel, but not for the Karaoke, for the Sopa Mariscos, a seafood soup full of all kinds of goodies, which they only serve on Saturday. I get some of their hot sauce and put about 1/2 teaspoon into the soup - you need to tread carefully, that hot sauce has a kick, but about 1/2 spoonful, maybe a full spoon if you're feeling brave, really brightens up the broth. Love that soup. And the Grouper in Garlic Sauce is a real favorite of mine, as is the Conch Ceviche.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users