Carnaval Trip February 2012 Part 8

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

After dinner we walked down to Melgar and Calle 4 (the block where the Isla Museum is located) and watched some of the final Carnaval parade. I included several photos from the Saturday night parade earlier so I won't do a bunch more here. This young girl's costume and float struck me.

Posted Image

They have fireworks on the last night.

Posted Image

The next day (Wednesday) was a day where we were diving in the afternoon so Claudia and I got up early and did a shopping trip to town. Siince it was Ash Wednesday, we started off with early morning mass and ashes at the Corpus Christi church. This is a beautiful church at Calle 15 and Ave 20A with the two towers. The 'Corpus Christi" neighborhood is named after this church. Here is a shot of the inside.

Posted Image

After mass we drove around some of the side streets to find photo shots that Claudia will later on use for her sketches and drawings. We stopped to take a photo of this curving wall when the dog jumped up and posed in the middle.

Posted Image

Melgar at this time of the day was pretty empty. The cruise ships had not arrived yet the shops were just opening. The one truck you see facing us was a city truck that was removing the ripe coconuts from the trees so that they would not fall down on the heads of the people walking by (and the cars driving by).

Posted Image

I think they put these decorative statues up for carnaval. Here are a couple a shots of them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users