Carnaval Trip February 2012 Part 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

Just so that you know that Claudia and her art are not figments of my imagination, here is one of the sketches Claudia did while on the trip. Usually she starts some sketches or does some studies (quick trial drawings), takes a photo of the scene and then finishes the work later on when we are back home.

Posted Image

Thursday night Pancho and Carla had us over to their house for dinner. They made some quesadillas and guacamole for the first course.

Posted Image

Then they made Tacos al Pastor.

Posted Image

Then we had a dinner party at our condo the next night. It is our custom to invite all the people we dived with that week to a dinner at the end of the week. Residencias Reef has very strict entrance control so we had to 1. get permission to have a bunch of people over for a dinner, and then 2. get a list of the names to the front gate. The management of the place were very responsive to us and everything worked out well. Claudia made Imperial Shrimp (a spicey chinese dish), a broccoli salad (broccoli, onion, dried cranberries, pecans in a mayo/lime juice mixture), and fresh pineapple with ice cream and a carmel sauce. I made the margaritas (from a recipe I got from Josephina who offers the cooking classes on this site). Other guests brought beer and nachos. A bunch of people came early and helped prepare the food and then we sat down to dinner.

Posted Image

The broccoli salad was the biggest hit of the night. Our Mexican friends were not used to eating uncooked broccoli.

The next morning we checked out of the condo, drove to the airport, and checked in and left our checked luggage. Then we drove back to ISIS and dropped off the car. We still had over 2 hrs before the flight so Pancho picked us up and took us to see the home he is building in the "jungle". There is an area just to the east of the developed part of San Miguel where people are beginning to build some homes. It still does not have electricity (supposed to happen in the next month or 2). The last time I had seen the house was in May 2011. It was twice the size it was then, and much of it was finished off (tiled floors instead of cement, plastered/cemented wall surfaces instead bare cement block. I find it fascinating to see the building techniques used in Cozumel since they are so different than our standard in Michigan.

Posted Image

After the visit, Pancho took us back to the airport for our flight. On the flight back I started thinking about how I could trick some of my diving friends into the next trip.

Well, that's all for this trip. Hope it was enjoyable to read and see. (Of course, my respects to Steve who has defined the standard for what trip reports should look like - Hope to run into you some day - I'll buy the 'Beer and Ice'.)

#2 JMCADAM

JMCADAM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Thank you so much for posting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users