• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Incubus2112

Incubus2112

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hey all. In my study of all things Cozumel, I have stumbled across a review for, what is described, as "the best ceviche on the island," at Albino's. Reading about this place is difficult as it appears they do not especially want to be well known. I have read that they rent out the place for large parties oftentimes and are rarely open outside of the peak season of travel.

My travel dates are in the end of April, specifically the 21st to the first of May. My main question is as I want the best ceviche I can find, will Alibino's be open during that time? Or should I start hunting around for another place to grab some mind blowing ceviche? Thanks ahead of time for the comments.

ALSO this would be a good place to leave me a message to attempt to hit up the places which have not yet been reviewed.

#2 jenster101

jenster101

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:40 AM

Albinos will be open (my neighbor works there). Another place for GREAT ceviche is Conchinita del Caribe (Av 65 between Calle 15 & 17).

#3 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

San Carlos Pescardio on 55 Bis is our favorite place for ceviche

#4 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:54 PM

Nobody should be eating conch ceviche. There is a ban on harvesting conch. Between being harvested to eat and the dredging of the sand banks the local conch population has been depleted to the point of near extermination.

Cozumel Diving

#5 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

I echo CZMDM's reply. Florida has had to import their conch for years due to overharvesting. Please, no conch anything (fritters, soup, ceviche, etc.) until the little guys get back on their feet (or foot - they're mollusks). The island has many other more sustainable options including beef and pork in addition to fish and shrimp.

That said, Albino's is freakin' fantastic for seafood and atmosphere!

#6 Incubus2112

Incubus2112

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:12 AM

I have never had conch, but I refuse to eat it under those circumstances. Hell, I haven't even had ceviche yet. Thanks for all the great recommendations!!

#7 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

I totally agree that no one should be eating conch - as cerviche or anything else. But if you haven't had cerviche, please know that there are lots of varieties. Fish, shrimp, mixto etc. I prefer simple fish cerviche. I'm pretty sure that Albinos doesn't have plain fish cerviche, but they do have shrimp and mixed (not necessarily with conch).

#8 Incubus2112

Incubus2112

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

Gonna need to find out the Mexican word for conch.
Update: Ok it's caracola.

#9 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:24 AM

I should have added that Albino's is great and Albino is one heck of a nice guy.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users