• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

Does anyone know where this is and if it can be accessed from shore?

#2 gcwright

gcwright

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

It is WAY down south on the west side, almost to Punta Sur. I can't imagine getting there from shore. Absolutely stunning.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

check out Rosi's tour for info.http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelSnorkelingTour.htm

I have been wanting to do this for a long time, and am booking the tour with Rosi for next month when my kid visits.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

It's a shallow section of Columbia Shallows and is only accessible by boat. Every really good snorkeling guide has their special place they like to go in this area and they kind of guard that information. Possibly so it doesn't get overrun.

But not too much danger of that because most snorkel trips won't take you there. Why? Because it's too far south and as virtually all the boats leave from la caleta, just south of downtown, it uses of a whole lot of gas getting there and back. To make money on these trips, operators must charge clients more money to reflect this major expense. But many guests don't understand this and bridle at paying a higher price. They don't realize that they aren't comparing apples to apples in this case. Sure they get a snorkel trip for $35/person. But, typically those tours take you to places you could actually swim out to from shore yourself.

#5 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

You can drive to the Palancar beach club. They do trips to the Columbia shallows every day of the week. The boat trip to the reef from the beach is less than 10 minutes.

Cozumel Diving

#6 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

The boat at Playa Palancar takes you to Colombia Shallows and Palancar but not to Cielo. We've charterd private boats to take us to Cielo where we take our water toys and just "play" in the water.. It's like a huge swimming pool in the ocean.. beautiful sand and lots of star fish.. no coral so not much to see snorkeling. Shallow too!

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

Anyone have pics?
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

There is an underwater pic of the starfish at Cielo on Rosi's snorkeling tour page which can be accessed from the banner at the top of this page.

#9 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Before hiring a private trip to the area known as el Cielo, keep in mind that basically it is a large shallow sandy area that borders the Columbia Shallow and runs half way to the beach. There is absolutely nothing to see there other than the starfish and the starfish can be plentiful or there can be just a handful.

Please do not handle the starfish. It is very tempting and I have seen snorkelers take starfish back to their boats. Please don't.

Cozumel Diving

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

ust for the record, Cielo is just one of the stops on Rosi's trip. She starts here because it is the easiest for first time snorkelers.

#11 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

I agree that it would be a great place to introduce novice snorkelers! And I agree about the starfish.. I hate seeing pics (and I have seen alot of them on FB) of the peeps picking up the starfish.. I did it once before I knew any better. I'll see if I can figure out how to upload a few pics.. maybe gcwright can do it.. he's got some too!

#12 gcwright

gcwright

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Links, I wanted to, but I don't have them in an online album other than FaceBook. There might not be "Anything to see", except for starfish and the occasional lone triggerfish that might come cruising by, but standing and playing in that water, on that white sand, is just amazing. You're right, it is like a swimming pool in the middle of the ocean.

#13 gcwright

gcwright

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

And for the record, I have done Rosi's snorkel tour, it was very nice. She is very attentive and safety is her top priority. I'll never forget the first time we snorkeled to the edge over the abyss...it took my breath away.

#14 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

I think I need to go back to bed... I just misread two posts...

“I agree that it would be a great place to seduce novice snorkelers!”

and

“She is very attractive and safety is her top priority.”

LOL sheesh what is wrong with me!
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#15 smiling028

smiling028

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

what happens if you handle the starfish? just wondering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users