58 replies to this topic

#1 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

Urgent / Urgente Greg Agness needs a Blood transfusion Quick. His kidneys are shuting down! No family member can come down..... If you know anyone on the island that has a rare blood type AB he is at General Hospital--Dr. Garcia..

You hug horses, trees, dogs and cats, now hug Greg....., or at least pray for him.....!!!!

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Is that AB positive or AB negative, Albert?

#3 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Is that AB positive or AB negative, Albert?

AB negative .... General Hospital RM 11 -- Dr. Garcia !

Call 987-118-7768 for more info ask for Barb

#4 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

I would be happy to donate. I just did a couple weeks ago. I am AB positive, and can only donate to AB positive.

But just so you know AB negative is the rarest of all bloods (world wide 1 in 200) but can receive blood from O neg A neg B neg and AB neg. O neg is a universal donor who can donate to anyone. AB pos, like myself, can receive blood from anyone.

If you are O neg, A neg, B neg, or AB neg you can donate to Greg. If you are O neg it is always good to donate because you are a universal donar. And O neg can only receive O neg.

O neg can only receive from O neg

O pos can only receive from O pos and O neg

A neg can only recieve from O neg and A neg

B neg can only receive from O neg and B neg

All others have multiple recipients

AB pos can only donate to AB pos

AB neg can only donate to AB pos and AB neg

A pos can only donate to A pos and AB pos

B pos can only donate to B pos and AB pos

All others can donate to multiple types

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

AB negative .... General Hospital RM 11 -- Dr. Garcia !

Call 987-118-7768 for more info ask for Barb

I am AB Negative although I don't have documentation to prove it. Have called Barb and if they need my blood, I will go and give it. Don't know this fellow but it would be a crying shame for someone to die just for want of the right blood type.

#6 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

Carey they will test your blood type there. But any of the clinics will do it for I believe around 50 pesos but I could be wrong about the price. I cannot donate to him. Carey you can only donate to AB pos and AB neg. But please if you are A neg or B neg or O neg or AB neg please donate if you can.

If you have a Mexican drivers license your blood type is on the back.

Can you flag this thread so it stays on top?

#7 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

Can they not ship him out to somewhere that has appropriate blood? This is nuts!

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

the topic will stay on top, as a priority until notified otherwise.

Thanks Traveler for alerting the community to this urgent need.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

BUMP...THIS IS A PRIORITY POST REQUESTING LIFE SAVING BLOOD DONATIONS.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

WELL DONE COZ2WONDER

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

WELL DONE COZ2WONDER

I am going to donate at 6:30 AM tomorrow morning. But if he needs more than I can safely give, another donor would be good to have waiting in the wings. Don't mind being there at 6:30 AM as I'm an early riser. But I'm going to miss my morning mug of wake up tea with milk. Booh.

For anyone else who does this now or ever, apparently requirements are: under 65, good health, no tattoos in past two years, id. In my case passport and FM3. I haven't bothered to get a Mexican driver's license yet so don't have that with the blood type listed.

As to the comment about 'just sending off for blood', I understand it is difficult and expensive to get AB Neg blood in the states sometimes as well. So much so that a lot of people stockpile their own blood for months before an operation where possible.So you can imagine how much more difficult it could be to find such on an island off the coast of Mexico with a population of only around 80,000.

My mother is AB positive and my parents were friends of Cyril King, the governor of the Virgin Islands for a number of years. Mama got off the plane in St. Thomas once only to find herself being rushed to a local hospital to donate to an accident victim. No choice in the matter. Instead of taking her to their hotel, the government car careened over to the hospital instead.

Another island -- like this one. Goes with the territory supplies can be temporarily limited or even permanently non-existent.

#12 amelia

amelia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

WELL DONE COZ2WONDER

#13 amelia

amelia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

You should post this on TA as well.

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

posting on any other then a local site would not really generate an immediate solution, but it was certainly a good thought.

Most of the folks on TA are not on the island, and those that are here, my guess they keep up with this board as well.

Carey, I can meet you early outside with your hot tea if you would like.

Anonymous

#15 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

I believe I am O negative and would be happy to donate. I use to donate in the states all the time but they won't let me now because I come to Mexico.

#16 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

Thanks ladies......! U too Steve!

#17 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

I will ask his neighbor, Pam, to let me know if he ends up needing more blood than I can provide. So watch for postings on that tomorrow, Steve.

Thanks for the tea offer, Paula! Fortunately, I live only about 12 blocks from the hospital so I think I'll make it. Forgot to mention you can't drink alcohol the night before either. But I'm still on the south b*tch diet so no problem for me on that front.

#18 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

I hope he is ok. Many years ago I suggested a blood registry for all that want to join. Nancy I forget her last name the person that had legal problems with the money bar actually started it. I would try to locate the registry if it exists. I would donate but I am the wrong blood type. Best of luck to him and his family

Ron

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

I hope posting it also on my FB page generate addition volunteers.

Traveler, please keep us posted.

Anonymous

#20 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

Just talked with Barb,,,,. For now with Carey and maybe one other, we should have enough donors......, We are going into standby mode. Greg will be given a transfusion and then given a "dialysis" (sp)...., if he becmes stable he will fly to his home in Dallas and continue treatment......

My thanks and the thanks of his family to those that have responded to this plea......, Prayers for all!

I will post again tomorrow after we see how he is responding.

Thanks again.

T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users