58 replies to this topic

#21 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

just so you know AB negative is the rarest of all bloods (world wide 1 in 200)

Not really.

It's the least common of the common blood types. There are entire other groups that are considerably rarer than any of the ABO types. All told there are about 28 "major" groups other than the ABO and Rh groups. These include things such as Lutheran, Duffy, Kidd, Langereis, and others I can't remember.

The upshot is that knowing one's ABO and Rh types isn't necessarily sufficient. You always have to cross-match potential donors with potential recipients.

Here's hoping there are enough donors for our guy.

#22 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Delighted to find out I don't actually have the rarest type of blood in the world. 1 in 200 would be doable in a larger population base which we don't have here, obviously.

#23 amelia

amelia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

While I agree posting on a local forum is best, in this situation maybe reaching out to as many people as possible is worthwhile. Alot of TA people follow that forum while they are on the island, and who knows for sure if they follow this one? Worth a shot.

#24 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

[quote name='TRAVELER89' date='13 March 2012 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1331658521' post='18851']
Urgent / Urgente Greg Agness needs a Blood transfusion Quick. His kidneys are shuting down! No family member can come down..... If you know anyone on the island that has a rare blood type AB he is at General Hospital--Dr. Garcia..

Hi. I live here and I am O negative, and am quite sure of it. I used to donate blood on a regular basis in the states.
If you need to reach me you can call my Cozumel cell at nine eight seven 113 four zero one eight and I will also answer a text message.
I believe Carey has my gmail address as well.

Jen

#25 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Correct: "It's the least common of the common blood types. There are entire other groups that are considerably rarer than any of the ABO types. All told there are about 28 "major" groups other than the ABO and Rh groups"

You are right. Thanks for pointing that out. There are 30 groups that I know of with some 600 different antigens and Rh groups have some 50 different antigens. Some are very rare and within specific ethnicities. And common blood types vary allot between ethnicities. B pos in less than 10 % in the U.S. but it is 20% worldwide. This is mainly due to India. There are over 1 billion Indians and they have an average of over 30% of the population with the B pos type. But for this type of discussion I thought it appropriate to discuss the ABO and Rh groups since these are the first two most important for blood transfusion and the others would be beyond the average persons understanding of the common blood types. My point I wanted to make is that 4 different blood types could be potential donors for Greg. The ABO groups are the common A, B, AB, and O. And the Rh is either positive or negative. The rest would mean little to most coming across this discussion, but very interesting.

Some blood types increase your risk to certain disease ( Duffy and Malaria ). I did not think about getting into antigens, immunoglobulin or genotypes and phenotypes. If you would like to have a very thoughtful discussion of these factors lets start another thread, I would love it. There is allot I need to learn and I would enjoy the discussion but I doubt many would read it. I didn't want to complicate this one with things the average person knows little about and will not help this gentleman.

My point was that AB neg is the rarest ( 1 in 200 or 1/2 of 1%) of the "common" blood types within the ABO and Rh classifications. However a person with this rare blood type could potentially receive blood from four different blood types and to encourage others with those types to donate. My interest here is only to offer, what little valuable information I have when I think it can help.

I wanted to keep this simple and to encourage anyone with A neg, B neg, O neg and AB neg to donate since ABO is the first most important consideration in blood transfusions and Rh the next most important.

I recently donated in the last two weeks. Unfortunately in this case I do not have the right type (AB pos) and can only donate to AB pos. But if you have any of these other four types please donate. And O neg is always a good donor.

Steve and J CozDiver I would definitely encourage you to donate. O neg is a universal donar and can donate to all. But O neg can only receive from O neg.

#26 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

Wow, Lutherans get their own blood type? That's cool..... :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#27 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

I got my blood typed this morning at 7 AM, waited for the results. All was a go but then she did a glucose blood test before signing me up and my fasting blood glucose levels were too high. 120 and 122. Not dangerous but a possible warning sign to check and keep an eye on, apparently. Gist they won't take my blood.

I felt so badly for Soldedad, Greg's stalwart companion, who got to the hospital at 6 AM so we would be first in line when I arrived at 6:30 and stayed with me the whole time, right up until the bad news an hour later.

Greg is in a very bad way and it sounds as though he will die if he doesn't get some blood very soon. Read Morenita's post re the types of blood that will work and if you have one of them, give this some serious consideration re making a donation. I realize you don't know him from Adam -- I don't. But think of all the Karma that will accrue to you.

Anyway, I struck out and I feel pretty rotten about it. If anyone else can step up to the plate, maybe Greg won't die and kind, enduring Soledad have her heart broken.

#28 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Carey so sad to hear that. Please keep an eye on your Glucose levels and have them checked again.

SO PLEASE any one with type AB negative, A negative, B negative or O negative please donate!!!!!

Anyone can have their blood tested , if you do not know what type you are. You can do this at many of the clinics. The one I have used is across the street from Pemex on 30th. It is very inexpensive 50 - 70 pesos I believe. It is always good to know your type, just for situations like this.

PLEASE DONATE IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE TYPES

#29 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

I called the number my wife believes she is A neg but her age prevents her from donating, Also there was a health issue years back and don't know if that would have any bearing if she could donate. But they have my home number if needed.

Ron

#30 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

In many cases YES. Depends on what type of cancer she had. With a blood cancer like leukemia No. For basal cell cancers there is very short waiting period before being able to donate. But with many cancers after five years you may donate. In some cases after two years and with others after a year. But it will vary from the doctors in charge at the blood bank. Best to go and see. They can let her know.

#31 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Their cut off is age 65 but not sure if that is older than or up through 65. There was a line of about 20 people waiting to have their blood tested this morning. Soledad had to wait in line an hour starting at 6 AM to get me in first at 7 AM. I guess they would take results from another lab in which case you could save yourself quite a little wait if you don't mind paying for the blood test yourself in advance.

#32 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

That is unfortunate here with the age cutoff. From my understanding in EE.UU. there is no maximum age only minimum, 17 or 18 years I believe.

If you have a Mexican drivers license you can take that with you. It has your blood type on the back. You were required to show a blood type test when you applied for the license

#33 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

They won't take my blood either because I am taking coumadin.

#34 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

They won't take my blood either because I am taking coumadin.

In some cases it's for the safety of the donor in others for the recpient or for both. This is a blood thinner or anticoagulant drug

I am not a doctor. Only a few years in Med school. There are many people much smarter than I will ever be.

But I do love to share what I do know if it can help others.

In the case of this drug I have heard pros and cons about whether it is OK to donate. To my understanding the Red Cross policy prohibits it. Because of the anti clotting effect of the drug. Others claim it should not be a problem. But I leave that debate to those with much more knowledge than I have.

#35 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

As I stated before, I am 0 negative and willing to donate blood. No health problems and am on no medications.

My contact information in listed above in a previous post as I am not quite sure where I would go to get tested, etc.

#36 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

As I stated before, I am 0 negative and willing to donate blood. No health problems and am on no medications.

My contact information in listed above in a previous post as I am not quite sure where I would go to get tested, etc.

If you will look higher up in the thread, Barb's cellphone is listed. She is an American and lives next door to the couple. She can give you the exact details and arrange with Soledad to do the same thing she did with me this morning -- meet her at the little hospital on Calle 11 between 15 and 20 -- at 6:30. Get tested at 7. Bring a good book.

I got there by parking in back of the hospital, walking in the door that says ambulancia. Walked straight ahead as far as I could, turned left and there was the line. Soledad spotted me immediately as I was the only gringa there.

Thanks for offering. You might save his life.

#37 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hola Carey.
I just spoke with Barb. I'll be there tomorrow morning to donate. I am glad I can help!!

#38 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

Hola Carey.
I just spoke with Barb. I'll be there tomorrow morning to donate. I am glad I can help!!

Thanks Jen, I'm sorry, but I had missed your first post...... Take care, good luck tomorrow!

T.

#39 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hola Carey.

So glad you're goingto give it a try! Will keep my fingers crossed and double crossed you pass. You onlyneed your passport by the way. Don't forget to bring a book. And a watch.

#40 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hola Carey.

Did they accept your blood, Jenn? And, Traveller? Any news?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users