• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Did they accept your blood, Jenn? And, Traveller? Any news?

Good news - they took my donation. Bad news is, he still is very much in need of blood. Its going to take numerous donations.
From what I understand from Soledad (his novia) several people have tried to donate (including another person besides me today) and were unable to.
It could be something as simple as slightly elevated blood sugar, elevated blood pressure, recent surgical procedure, recent dental procedure, imbibing alcohol 48 hours before donating (although I think 48 hours is a bit of a stretch and in the states its 24...but what the heck do I know), elevated white blood cell count or anemia, etc.

It was easy, just like you said Carey. Big thanks to Barbara and her husband for providing a "taxi service" for me to the hospital this morning.
You just walk in and find the line and Soledad will already be in line. She gave me a slip of paper with all Greg's information to give to them. At 7:00 they started taking everyone's identification and then started calling everyone in to take a blood sample for the initial testing and questions. Then you take a seat and wait until they call you and you return to go in and speak with the physician where they ask more questions and take your weight and height. Then the final call you go in and donate.

You just need to plan on being there about 6:30am and be prepared that you are not going to leave until around 11. That's hardly an inconvenience in the grand scheme of things, isn't it?

Its very hard to watch someone so very worried about their loved one and desperately trying to help him. I am sure this must be so very stressful for Soledad...the waiting and waiting and the not knowing. Meanwhile his health is deteriorating and they still desperately need blood!

I'm glad I just happened across this post yesterday and was able to help...even if it was just in the smallest of ways.
Soledad asked me if I could post on Facebook or anywhere I could contact our friends here on the island and I will do that now.
I am sure she would appreciate it if others can get the word out, as well. I am sure time is of the essence.

Thanks, Carey and Albert for getting the ball rolling.

#42 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

So glad to hear you were able to donate. QUE DIOS TE BENDIGA.

I know what it is like. Several years ago I had a friend who had been in a motorcycle accident and needed blood donors. She happened to have the same blood type AB positive so I could donate. But for her like myself she is very lucky because AB positive is the only type that can recieve from all types. Yet out of all her twenty to thirty Mexican friends who went to donate I was the only one that was accepted. I was one of only a few who did not have a tatoo and the others were disqualified for medications, not being in general good health, medical conditions, drinking etc. It was a terrible situation. I donated twice in less than two weeks.

I wish I could donate, I did a few weeks ago but could still donate again. But AB positive can only donate to AB positive.

Anyone who can donate please do.

Again if you are

A negative

B negative

AB negative

O negative

PLEASE DONATE

#43 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:54 AM

The rules for donors are very strict, far more so than Red Cross guidelines in the States. I don't know if any changes have been made since I faced that impossible situation with my wife four years ago when she suffered serious blood loss from a stomach ulcer. No alcohol nor any medications for at least 48 hours. One of the few requirements that were the same was for women to weigh a minimum of 110 pounds, 50 kilos. Many women are disqualified for being under the stricter limits for anemia. I did talk to the lady in charge three times regarding the regulations and the dilemma faced here.

My wife was in very serious, grave condition, in danger of dying and if in the States, she would have been given two or three units of blood immediately. No way could I have pulled off an air evacuation to where there was a reliable supply of blood. She had O+ so we are not talking rarity which is a whole 'nuther major obstacle. We share the same blood type, but since I wasn't qualified to donate, medication, no exceptions could be made even under the dire circumstances.

Among our doctors, one was well connected. We were well known with considerable history on the island. It took every last drop of my powers of persuasion, connections and absolute shameless begging to get the first unit of blood sent from Cancun. The doctors hoped that one unit would bring her up two points, but then she would still be four points low.It took 24 hours to get that first unit and she only gained one point. I had Diamonds International as a labor pool of people to beg for donations and the bosses granted permission for anyone to miss work without loss of pay to make a donation.

There is a short window of opportunity if it is still like it was before. They open at seven, can start taking samples and trying to qualify people, but the director said the cut off time was around 11:00 in order to get the blood shipped to Cancun to begin processing. It isn't easy, not when compared to the States. People have to miss work, but the director said their time restraints, there were times when they had more qualified donors than they could handle. They had space and personnel to handle two people at a time and could only do so many per hour. She said she hated to send people away that were qualified, had been tested and had been waiting there for three or four hours, could you come back tomorrow?

God bless that man Victor who was scared to death, had never donated before, but had never had a blood test before where blood was drawn from a vein. That piece of paper of a donation had been made was worth its weight not in gold, but in diamonds> After his blood arrived in Cancun, they were fully satisfied, then they agreed to send a second unit the next day. The blood is there in the bank, except in cases of rarity, they release one unit from the bank once they are sure they have the replacement unit in hand. It was 60 hours since she entered the clinic when she was given the second unit. At that point, she was responding some to the medication treatment and her blood loss had slowed, but she was still dangerously low, but it bought me more time to beg and arrange more donations. In our case, O+ blood being common, any blood type donation to the bank would work for us, it didn't have to be type specific.

The final outcome, over the course of five days, she did receive four units of blood, all of it was male. I did threaten a law suit if she grew a thick mustache. If you should need blood, expect it to be a problem, but rest assured, it has been handled and processed under far stricter rules than what would apply in the U.S. or Canada probably. It will be safe, rest assured. The issue of blood supply, in my case a very common type is one of the most serious short comings and gaps in the health care on the island. In an emergency, you need to somehow get airlifted to Merida.

My thanks to anyone, everyone that tries, but it is somewhat of an achievement to manage to give a donation.

#44 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

Charles if you don't mind me asking how is your wife now

#45 liverbird

liverbird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

This is a long shot, but does anyone know a potential donor that could fly in to the island and donate? It sounds a bit dramatic but, if all else fails, and if enough people clubbed together for the ticket...

#46 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Good news - they took my donation. Bad news is, he still is very much in need of blood.
Its very hard to watch someone so very worried about their loved one and desperately trying to help him. I am sure this must be so very stressful for Soledad...the waiting and waiting and the not knowing. Meanwhile his health is deteriorating and they still desperately need blood!

You're a good soldier for stepping up to the plate, Jenn. I agree that it was extremely saddening watching Soledad waiting, watching, hoping and, in my case, getting her hopes dashed at the 11th hour when they refused me.

If anyone else can find it in their heart to help, please do it and then let us know the results. I should add that the waiting isn't bad with a book. There are comfortable chairs in a breezy hallway that feeds off to the right about 20 feet before you get to the line and the lab doors. If you have something to do, you can pass the waiting time quite comfortably there.

I think this is a good opportunity to quote John Donne's famous poem:

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

#47 pjgoris

pjgoris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Carrie
I have o neg but I have been having problems with my asthma and on predisone. I don't think they will take it will they..I am willing to donate if so. DO you know, If not then I will go see. I think o neg can donate to anyone just can take fro antone other that o neg

#48 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Charles,
That sounded like a terrifying ordeal to go through. After reading your experience, I think I would be inclined to do anything I could to get off the island if I became ill or injured and it appeared I might be in need of blood. Of course, I am talking personally since I am O negative and can only receive O negative blood. I never gave it a thought before now. The doctor yesterday told me it's a lot more rare here on the island where most have positive blood types.

I was reading further on the U.S.Red Cross site about what medications are acceptable and copied and pasted the list below. (Prednisone is acceptable)To be frankly honest, in a life or death situation such as this, I might be inclined to "forget to mention" that I was taking it. Also, I can understand them refusing you if you have had a recent tatoo (in the past year) but to refuse you at all if you have EVER had a tattoo is pretty extreme.

They did mention to me, that you can go come back to the hospital, get tested where they send the blood to Cancun and they run all the panels and then you would be on the OK list to donate. Might be prudent for someone like me, who is O negative - to know of a donor on the island in case I ever had an emergency.

List from the Red Cross site: Red Cross Eligibility Criteria (Click on Medications)

Red Cross Medication Restrictions

In almost all cases, medications will not disqualify you as a blood donor. Your eligibility will be based on the reason that the medication was prescribed. As long as the condition is under control and you are healthy, blood donation is usually permitted.

Over-the-counter oral homeopathic medications, herbal remedies, and nutritional supplements are acceptable.
There are a handful of drugs that are of special significance in blood donation.
Persons on these drugs have waiting periods following their last dose before they can donate blood:

– Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis or Sotret (isoretinoin), Proscar (finasteride), and Propecia (finasteride) - wait 1 month from the last dose.
– Avodart (dutasteride) - wait 6 months from the last dose.
– Aspirin, no waiting period for donating whole blood. However you must wait 48 hours after taking aspirin or any medication containing aspirin before donating platelets by apheresis.
– Feldene (piroxicam), no waiting period for donating whole blood. However you must wait 48 hours after taking Feldene (piroxicam) before donating platelets by apheresis.
– Clopidogrel - wait 14 days after taking this medication before donating platelets by apheresis.
– Coumadin (warfarin) , heparin or other prescription blood thinners- you should not donate since your blood will not clot normally. If your doctor discontinues your treatment with blood thinners, wait 7 days before returning to donate.
– Hepatitis B Immune Globulin – given for exposure to hepatitis, wait 12 months after exposure to hepatitis.
– Human pituitary-derived growth hormone at any time - you are not eligible to donate blood.
– Plavix - wait 14 days after taking this medication before donating platelets by apheresis.
– Soriatane (acitretin) - wait 3 years.
– Tegison (etretinate) at any time - you are not eligible to donate blood.
– Ticlid - wait 14 days after taking this medication before donating platelets by apheresis.
– Ticlopidine - wait 14 days after taking this medication before donating platelets by apheresis.

#49 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

Unfortunatly neither I or my daughter can donate due to medical history. I have posted this on the Cozumel Complete Facebook and hope maybe someone will respond. Prayers are sent to these nice people.

#50 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

I posted this on Cozumel My Cozumel's facebook page as well as on my own Facebook page, per Soledad's request.
This seems like a great idea but I do not know how to facilitate it...perhaps someone can help?

"No Calesas En Cozumel posted: "The base of the taxis is on 2nd street, they report to them and the radio to contact all of them is right there.Just tell the person there or the driver on duty there to help u out. I know a driver , but he is off duty till tomorrow."

#51 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

I posted this on Cozumel My Cozumel's facebook page as well as on my own Facebook page, per Soledad's request.
This seems like a great idea but I do not know how to facilitate it...perhaps someone can help?

"No Calesas En Cozumel posted: "The base of the taxis is on 2nd street, they report to them and the radio to contact all of them is right there.Just tell the person there or the driver on duty there to help u out. I know a driver , but he is off duty till tomorrow."

This is what I pasted together and posted.

Urgent / Urgente Greg Agness needs a Blood transfusion Quick. His kidneys are shuting down! No family member can come down..... If you know anyone on the island that has a rare blood type AB he is at General Hospital--Dr. Garcia..
But just so you know AB negative is the rarest of all bloods (world wide 1 in 200) but can receive blood from O neg A neg B neg and AB neg. O neg is a universal donor who can donate to anyone
Call 987-118-7768 for more info ask for Barb

#52 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

I am not familiar with Predisone. I assume you are refering to Prednisone

Prednisone is a steroid. Depending on what it is being prescribed for you may be able to donate.

If it is for migrain, mild asthma, acne, allergies than it should not be a problem.

If it is for a more severe situation like certain cancers than of course you would not be able to donate.

In your case if your asthma is not severe, and there are no symptoms at the time, then donating should be fine if you are taking Prednisone.

When you donate a unit of blood it will be replenished within a day by volume (plasma). The body has on average 5 L of blood. With one unit (450 m.l.) they are taking less than 10%, which will be replenished very quickly. The blood level is replaced within six hours, if you take fluids after (no alcohol). White blood cells within twelve to twenty-four hours. Platelets take around three days. And the red cells are replenished in around four weeks. It is different if you donate plasma.

Definitely check with a doctor. I would be very interested what they say.

#53 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Any updates on the condition of Greg?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#54 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Yes, we need an update. I would think in a situation like this, any blood would be better than no blood.

#55 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

I greatly fear that no news is bad news in this case.

#56 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

Greg is holding his on for now, 2 or 3, maybe more, people have responded and gave blood, request for blood went out on several Facebook pages in english and spanish. He has had at least one transfusion and has had a dialysis treatment. Two 2 sons arrived late last week......, he is due to fly out tomorrow, arrangements have been made w/Delta for the use of O2 on the flight and for major assistance with the transfer of planes in Atlanta......

I have been out of the circle for a couple of days, had to go to Cancun for some medical test.

Thanks to all of those who have come forward to help........

Traveler....

#57 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

praying for his recovery and strength for his family during this tough time. i used to give blood every 6 weeks until doc said not to anymore due to borderline anemia. drives me nuts cause i would have been there in a heartbeat to help him or anyone else out there. god bless those who went, even if their blood was not accepted. they tried.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#58 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

That is guardedly good news. And better than I expected, frankly. So relieved.

By the way, some readers of this thread may remember that I was disqualified from donating at the 11th hour for having a somewhat stupendously high blood glucose level which was ascertained by the doc using a portable, home-style glucose monitor.

Was told to see a doc. Bought and tried to use one of the few home glucose monitoring kits available on the island and found it too difficult to work. (Couldn't bull's eye the blood droplet on the circle in the center of the strip even in 6 tries.)

So I finally went in yesterday to confirm what I assumed to be true -- that I was an untreated diabetic--and got a fasting blood chemistry panel and also the A1c test for diabetes. Results show I'm in the completely normal range!

So what it must have been and why I was rejected in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation -- I stood in line in the hot, airless little corridor for about 20 minutes and suddenly started to feel extremely faint. So faint I thought I was going to fall down! This has never happened to me in my life before so it kind of scared me. Made my way carefully and quietly to a chair around the corner where there was plenty of air circulating and f?elt fine in about 2 minutes. But I think that episode might have released panic hormones (ephidephrenes??) in my bod that jumped my glucose levels sky high temporarily.

If I have to do this again -- and I'll be glad to try if its needed -- I will bring along a cold compress in a zip lock bag and a fan like the southern ladies use in church in the US

#59 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

That is such good news. I tried to call and did not get an answer so I am soo relieved to know all efforts were not in vain.

Carey, I know what you mean about standing in line in that corridor. I was silently wondering what it would be like in the summertime as I was getting warm very quickly! Luckily I was in the first part of the line and it went by pretty quickly. The waiting area is comfortable enough and there was a nice breeze flowing through the window.
So glad I was able to help. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

I very glad to hear that you are not diabetic. Even if you were, there is so much you can do with diet and exercise to control Type II. Nonetheless, I am happy to hear that was not the case. Even I had a reading of 105 after fasting and I have always been under 100. hmmm

Also gives me pause when I realize that as a person with O- blood I could have a bad situation if I ever needed that help. Am upgrading my medical insurance to cover air transport in case of emergency!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users