Plant Advise

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

What is best for the combination of FAST growth, and Cost. I want to plant something that will grow over the front metal fence to give us privacy.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

What is best for the combination of FAST growth, and Cost. I want to plant something that will grow over the front metal fence to give us privacy.

copa de oro -- yellow flowered vine is a fast grower and does well here with no special attention. Bougainvillea grows pretty fast, too and needs little if any care. Both these vines are readily available at all the nurseries.

The pink flowered oleander grows pretty fast and gets very tall if pruned properly. And, finally the red flowered hibiscus -- bright red only -- really loves it here and grows very fast as well.

#3 Gator & T

Gator & T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Is the pink flowered oleander poisonous? I'm not familiar with this particular species but I do know some species are extremly toxic to people & animals.

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

Is the pink flowered oleander poisonous? I'm not familiar with this particular species but I do know some species are extremly toxic to people & animals.

Consider any true oleander (there's only one species, oleander, in the genus Nerium no matter the color) to be toxic. Related plants such as "Yellow Oleander" are also toxic. They contain cardiac glycosides similar to what's in digitalis. Every part of the plant is toxic to ingest. It's really only a problem if one eats it - getting it on the skin is not dangerous.

I did my medical training in Galveston, TX, which occasionally calls itself the Oleander Isle. They're everywhere there. Occasionally we'd see a poisoning when somebody would use oleander sticks to cook hot dogs or marshmallows at the beach or when a toddler nibbled a flower. Given how common the plant is and its poisonous reputation, there are surprisingly few poisonings with it reported and very few deaths.

I can check with a veterinarian friend there to see how common it is, but in the 14 years I was there I never heard of a pet being poisoned by oleander (though I'm sure it must happen). I have a strong notion that it tastes bad, but I'm not going to test it.

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

Bougainvillea grows pretty fast, too and needs little if any care.

Is that what locals refer to as "tulipan" and grow along walls and fences because it deters people from climbing over them?

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Is that what locals refer to as "tulipan" and grow along walls and fences because it deters people from climbing over them?

tulipan is what we call hibiscus. I am thinking bougainvillea is called the same in both languages. Certainly any nursery understands it. Someone recently offered a thorny fast growing hedge plant that might be what you need. Look through this gardening section for posts in the last week and you may find it.

Certainly bougainvillea will keep anybody out. It's hell just to prune it! And you WILL be pruning it. And not liking it. So be prepared to hire a gardener periodically to do that work if you choose this plant. Brutal thorns!

Oleander shouldn't be a problem for any pet if you just prune the lower branchs so your pet can't reach them. It doesn't lose its leaves. None of my pups have ever given a hoot about ours. Although we do prune them up high. Low bush cover is a breeding ground for mosquitos. No laughing matter in the Land of Dengue we had for 3 months last fall!

#7 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

bougainvillea is easy to grow. doesn't take up much dirt and grows very fast if given a decent amount of light. i cut out 8" half moons (about 8"deep too) on our sidewalk against the front wall and planted 6 baby bougainvilleas. one side is growing very well, the other side of the gate is at half the height. upon inspection, the short side's leaves are being eaten by the giant ants. the other side is not. strange. ants can travel 10 feet easily.

anyway, just be aware that the leaves can be eaten thereby preventing the rapid growth possible. a good ant killer does the trick.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Yes, bougainvillea needs full sun and doesn't seem to need watering at all once it gets established. We haven't had any problem in our gardens with ants going for this particular plant although AJ is fighting a war currently with Tiny ants that are harming a cayomito tree he's trying to protect until it grows big enough to take care of itself.

We're after trees first and foremost as they provide lovely, lovely shade. And the light is so bright here that most plants will still do well in this open shade -- not bougainvillea so much, however.

One of the marvelous things about living in the tropics is how fast things grow.

#9 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

It looks like our choice is bougainvillea. Best place to buy it and can some one reccommend a gardner to plant and get it started? Thanks

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

Before you plant bougainvillea, or any flowering plant for that matter they are a nightmare if you have a pool.

Bougainvillea drop flowers constantly, and your pool, and skimmers will be full of those pesky, but beautiful flowers.

My friends pool is always clogs with the flowers, and the nearest bougainvillea bush is about 1/2 block a way.

There are 3 large garden centers
1. On 11th, right by the public hospital
2. One on 30th and airport blvd
3. One on Transversal, right off of 65

Felipe the huge garden center further out on the Transversal no longer sells plants.

The nursery that I like is the one on Transversal, right off 65. Really nice plants, fruit and none fruit trees, they also have a big selection of ceramic pots...you have to negotiate the price because nothing is marked.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

I;d be very careful about this... If those are anything like a trumpet vine, they grow faster than a cage full of rabbits... And once they're there, almost impossible to kill or manage, plus floweing vines = BEE BUSHES...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#12 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

i just went to this vivero near the gas station for the first time as i am starting to think hard about what i want in my garden. i found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable about the plants, shade vs sun, etc. pretty plants there. and yes, willing to bargain.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

i just went to this vivero near the gas station for the first time as i am starting to think hard about what i want in my garden. i found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable about the plants, shade vs sun, etc. pretty plants there. and yes, willing to bargain.

Yah they are a good source for trees, too. We just bought some caymito and mamey trees from them. We wanted more than they had in the nursery but they said they would get them from their farm and bring those along when the truck delivered. When the plants came they tried to fob off 3 really crummy trees on us, ones they picked out for us from their farm. Guess they thought we were stupid. No problem about bringing them back and replacing them with healthy plants however so all's well that ends well. Left a small bad taste in my mouth, however. I had a feeling we were asking for it buying 3 trees sight unseen. So word to the wise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users