• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

This gent is interested in land and building I believe he said.

He is not to be taken seriously. He messaged me and asked for the two places I mentioned that had crashed and burned. (I didn't, it wouldn't help him anyway) You mentioned one of the handful of Realtors, most of the rest he can stumble through on his own or at least hire a competent attorney. After saying yes, he was joking, LOL, let him earn a little respect if he is indeed serious.

Beachgirl, you have the right idea. If most people did half that planning, things would be a lot better. Too many fools made gross errors, drove prices up, saturated the market and gave the less than honest ones the idea that the sky was the limit.

#22 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Are there specific neighbourhoods to avoid the flooding? Or is it dependent on the structures within every neighbourhood (sorry for Canadian spelling of neighbour); or are there any other clues for the novice home buyer? Want a swimming pool, but not necessarily in the dining area.

#23 Neilan

Neilan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

He is not to be taken seriously. He messaged me and asked for the two places I mentioned that had crashed and burned. (I didn't, it wouldn't help him anyway) You mentioned one of the handful of Realtors, most of the rest he can stumble through on his own or at least hire a competent attorney. After saying yes, he was joking, LOL, let him earn a little respect if he is indeed serious.

Beachgirl, you have the right idea. If most people did half that planning, things would be a lot better. Too many fools made gross errors, drove prices up, saturated the market and gave the less than honest ones the idea that the sky was the limit.

Charles you sound like a real winner my friend and I don't want to earn your respect. You know nothing about me or what I'm about. And yes I did ask you of your so called friends that were in a bind. I have looked at houses also but have not found what I want. Also my really good friend is looking for property to bad you have your nose stuck so high in the air you don't want to pass there info on so be it. If you cant be respectful in my post please don't post in them!!!

#24 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Neilan, focus on your goals.

As long as your upfront, honest, and have follow through, then you should have no problems.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#25 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Don't forget to bring your patience. :rolleyes:

#26 Neilan

Neilan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

Don't forget to bring your patience. :rolleyes:

Yes I see that a lot of patience's is needed.. Well of to finish packing as I will be in Cozumel tomorrow!!!

#27 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

So I am buying a lot and building my house in Cozumel. So I will be asking questions and adding my input experiences etc. Hope to meet some of you soon! Will be on the island on April 2nd let the fun begin.

Have you bought your lot yet? Many of the vacant lots may require from 1 to 2 cubic yards of fill for every square yard of land, some lots are over cenotes that allow storm drainage from the neighborhood, block this flow you and your neighbor may be facing problems, it happpened to me and my neighbors when some one closed off natural drainage. I know of a new build, with fill that has close off the natural drainage, not only that, but they closed off one of the strom drains......., 3 or 4 families could take water should we get another major rain. As I said in another post there are properties on the market that may or do take water in very heavy rains. All everyone is saying is to do your homework. I have several friends that rent very nice small apartments year round for $6000 to $7000 US per year even if they are only here for 4 to 6 months out of the year...., properties are well maintained cared for by the owners. My friends have the pleasure of having a place here, without many of the problems faced by individual home owners.

By the way, between Charles, his wife and I there are over 6o years of island living.

#28 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

And you can add me and AJ in for another 24 between us. Getting the figure up to 84. Add Mike and Teresa, gets us up to 100, add Paula and Greg we're at 124 years of experience living here. And then there are the wonderful posters who have been here for less time but also have a lot of experience and insights to offer! It's 3:30 in the morning and I'm too tired to list you all personally now but you know who you are and thanks from all!

Re the flooding and water rising -- there is no way to tell just looking at a place. I've seen areas with no obvious low spots or dips flood to 3 feet or more in heavy rain. You either have to have a seller honest enough to share this info with you or be here during a 2 plus day drencher like we get most often in Sept or October and see for yourself.

Another reason its good to rent before you buy and for a long period.

We added a meter of fill to the back of our building site because old friend Traveller was kind enough to tell us that section flooded in heavy rain. Too bad we didn't add 1.5 meters because even with that amount of fill, we've had the floors of our first story flood to about 2" on 4 occasions.

When we bought the lot directly adjacent to our property, which also floods, of course, we added more fill half in the form of gravel. We can hope that will suffice but only time and a good tropical storm will truly tell the tale. Fingers crossed.

#29 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

Just a word of appreciation to totally thank you for your candour. Like most, I am soaking up all of the advice as I get ready to make my own plunge. These are big decisions, not to be taken lightly. There are too few people in this world who call it the way they see it. Look forward to every post and hooking up at some point real soon and eventually giving back. Thanks again.

#30 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Welcome to the island fellow Canuck!! We have been here just over 5 years now and try to pass it forward to newbies like yourself with good and clear advice. Do your research, get two or three quotes on things you want done and keep asking questions...Many people on this forum and are year round residents and know the ins and outs of issues. If you are planning to buy a lot and build, PLEASE get a certified accountant/lawyer to check all the papers for the title before you put your money down and sign anything!! Many people have been burnt by not thinking clearly and jumping in and find out their dreams are gone because they didn;t get the right information first...I agree with the many posts..RENT something first for a few months and check out the different areas before making a purchase.
Good Luck and let us know if you need any information as we are happy to pass it along.
Susan & Mike
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#31 Neilan

Neilan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

WOW I am home!!! I'm in my apartment and all is well! last night I bought some stuff for the place like pillows etc. Got up this AM and went for a flight all in all it's great to be back!!!!!!

#32 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Bienvenido

#33 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

Hey Neil. If you ever have any other general medical question you could ask it here. The very good and brilliant Doctor ( who is probably way smarter than I will ever be) can probably answer any question you would have. And everyone can learn from it. I sure have. Thanks again Doc!

#34 Neilan

Neilan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

Hey Neil. If you ever have any other medical question you could ask it here. The very good and brilliant Doctor ( who is probably way smarter than I will ever be) can probably answer any question you would have. And everyone can learn from it. I sure have. Thanks again Doc!

Yes I will be looking for a doctor here on the island PM me his info and if any one else let me know thanks

#35 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

I believe Morenita is referring to one of our members who has a home here, is an M.D. and has engaged in several interesting and helpful discussions on medical topics. He is hardly going to treat you locally, however. And any advice he might care to give you would be very general.
Also he doesn't practice in Mexico. That's a real big 'also' as there are some significant differences in the medical cultures between the US and Mexico. And Cozumel, as always, is a little country onto itself in how they do things.

Search the forums and you'll find numerous recommendations for doctors here on the island. A lot of people really like Dr. Cruz at the San Miguel Clinic, for example. And I believe he speaks quite good English. In any case most savvy foreigners living here who have any money atall go to the San Miguel Clinic and make sure they know you're local to get the best rate. If you don't speak any Spanish you're kind of screwed on that count however. But you'll get flayed less on the prices at the SM than at the CMC and these are the only two places on the island where you reliably expect to find doctors who can communicate with you in decent, although in many cases not perfect, English

Also and by the way, where possible and when there is information being exchanged that is of general interest to lots of people, why don't you skip the "PMing" and just post your message on the forums. That way everyone can share in the knowledge. If its some private issue, of course, do your thang. But otherwise, give a little back in terms of information sharing. Entiendes? Do you understand?

#36 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Carey that was my point exactly. Thanks for the clarification. I was only suggesting that any question that can be of use to others on the general forum could be asked here so everyone can benefit from the information. Like your thread on diabetes. Valuable information can be gained by all. The Doctor who posts here is very highly qualified and a wealth of information. He has allways been willing to share his expertise. He is brilliant and very kind to share. So yes if you have a general medical question and someone else can benefit from the information. I am pretty confident the good Doctor will share his expertise with all.

Sorry if my post was confusing and gave the wrong impression.

When I have a question that can benefit others I post it on the general forum. When I have a very specific question for example involving medical equipment or specific medical tests that would be beyond the basic knowledge that the average person would have I would ask it in the private message.

A test for prothrombin time would be private. A treatment for rash from jellyfish or testing for diabetes would be general for an example.

As for a local doctor I think your recomendation as to a specific doctor was a good one and San Miguel hospital is also an excellent suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users