• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

CAMAR is a good start with recycling. But it is only a start. There is alot of room for improvement. Actually the research on cloth diapers is very up to date. Disposable diapers are a very small percentage of waste in a landfill, 1-2 %. Far from a a HUGE impact in our landfills. I am not sure what your definition of huge is but for me 1 or 2% is not huge. I do not know what you do with the water after you wash them or how much you use. But with the cloth diaper industry there are many unintented consequences. The only facts worth debating are what the average person does. On average a person uses 25 gallons a day to wash and rinse reusable diapers. Cotton is considered an environmental wasteful crop. Uses more pesticides and chemicals to grow than any other crop. The increased demand on wastewater systems the increased greenhouse gases, more water and energy usage. It is not as simple as saying you are removing something from the landfill. And it is not a HUGE impact. It is a very minimal impact, and one with other consequences. Those are just the facts. Everything has to go somewhere. And you either pour the dirty water out on the ground or it is going in the sewer. And with the ammount of water it is either more or less concentrated with human waste, but it is still going somewhere. When you solve one problem the others do not go away. My research and my facts are up to date and accurate. I have said this before. There are people way smarter than you or I who have done the research. This is something that has been extensively studied. Reusable diapers are not all they seem to be. Many are under the false impression that if you are not throwing them away then it must be better for the environment. But there are other factors to be considered.

And most people hate them and it is going to be very difficult to convince people to use them. That is why some of the advancements in disposables that I am reading about seem to be much more promising. A reusable diaper with a disolveable liner. After a couple of minutes in the toilet it totally disolves, and can be flushed.

Personally I would like to see a 100% recycling program and a plant to convert the rest to electricity. This makes much more sense. And disposable diapers can easily be converted to electricity.

#22 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

cloth diapers do NOT equal cotton diapers. you are NOT looking at the proper research. have you used them? have you even seen them? where the hell do you find where the average person uses 25 gallons a day to wash 7-10 cloth diapers? there are liners, rice paper liners, that reduce the need for washing once poop is more solid. they flush and dissolve quickly.
so i hate to tell ya, you do NOT know what you are talking about if you are constantly referring to cloth diapers as cotton diapers. and so many of the few existing cotton diapers are organic, so there are no pesticides etc.
just so you know, and how i have also researched by talking to and reading from HUNDREDS of moms using CLOTH diapers, is that the diaper is first rinsed in the toilet to rid of the solids (just like your poop goes down the sewage, so does the baby's). then soaked in a small bucket of water with a small amount of biodegradeable powder soap (like foca). some wash by hand using all of another bucket of water. some put them in the spin cycle, then do a very small wash using much much less than 25 gallons of water. no softeners can be used so there is no 2nd rinse. if there is a large load, it is from a family who has about 20-30 CLOTH diapers and washes them every other day.
so unless you personally have used them, or touched them, or seen someone use them, your stats mean nothing. THEY ARE NOT UP TO DATE as you seem to believe that cloth diapers of today are the same cloth rags used in the past. if there are 10,000 babies on this island, there are 100,000 diapers A DAY being tossed in the landfill. and i am sure there are more than 10,000 babies on this island.
not to mention as being a future doctor, you should be well aware of the HEALTH benefits of using cloth diapers over sticky hot rash-producing and yeast infection-producing diapers. unless you change them every hour and therefore put 20 a day per baby in the trash.
http://www.thenewpar...com/diapers.htm
just what is used to make disposables is sickening.
http://ecopipo.com.mx/
it seems that your research is from pampers and huggies labs. mine may be from the cloth diaper companies. find the middle and it is still better for the environment, from the production to the elimination, to use cloth (the new fancy ones or cotton).
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#23 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

If you would have read what I said you would see that I used the word cloth 9 times out of 11. Only two times did I use the word cotton. Two times out of eleven is not constantly. I think you have a hard time with the definition of the words "constantly" and "huge". And the two times I said "cotton" it was to mention from memory what I know about growing cotton. I was not suggesting they are the same. Or as you put it the "cloth rags used in the past". You are the one who is mistaken. I am looking at the proper research.

Most studies showing cloth diapers to be better are done by the cloth diaper industry. And studies showing disposables are more environmentally friendly, comparing greenhouse gases, are done by the companies you cited (Huggies). I do not read either of those. They are obviously biased to one side or the other. My facts are correct. You are taking your information from the reusable diaper industry. Obviously if that is all decide to believe than you are not going to believe that there is any negative impact from cloth diapers. Yes I have had relatives who tried them and they hated them. The initial cost was more but over time they were cheaper. But they still did not like them. Their popularity is in decline. Again it is hard to get people to use them when 95% of all diapers are disposable. You can site any study you want by the reusable diaper industry. But the research I have read is not paid for by either side.

I think there are going to be new products on the market in a few years that will be much better than either. But cloth diapers are not popular. Their use is decreasing.

And the facts are that they are a very small percent by volume in the landfill. I don't like that diapers are in the land fill but that is a byproduct of having babies. You are washing your diapers. The waste water goes somewhere. The by product either goes in the ground or in the water. Either way it has to be dealt with. It is an increase demand on sewage plants. And independent research shows the water usage by the average person using them is significantly higher than what you suggest. If you used much less I think that is excellent. But this research is independent and done by some really smart people. I will have to go back and look at the study that I read about three months ago. It was supported by a very active environmentalist group. They were going into it with the theory that of course reusable diapers are more environmentaly friendly. And were surprised that the carbon footprint was higher with reusable diapers than with disposable diapers. I must admit I found it surprising as well. Because I would have assumed what you did. That they are better on the environment. The only ones found to be more environmentally more friendly than disposables were the ones made from hemp or bamboo. They were 40% better than disposables. I would not have expected that conclusion either. But it is what it is. This study looked at the positives and negatives of both. The conclusion was the carbon footprint of reusables was higher than disposables. Disposables have a negative impact on the environment. I personally think the possibility of contamination in the lanfill is worse with disposables than added waste in the sewage system. Obviously in the sewage system it can be removed. But the carbon footprint with reusables was greater when all was taken into consideration with the process of first treating the potable water which is used to wash them and then treating the waste water. Comparing the petroleum and wood used to make disposable diapers and the process used to make the cloth diapers. Only the hemp and bamboo diapers were better.

I really wish they would bring back the plan which they were looking at for the plant to make electricity from the waste. That would be the ideal solution in my mind.

I really can't comment about rash. Except to say I seem to remember reading a study showing that babies with cloth diapers are trained quicker to use the toilet because the liquid stays closer to the surface and the baby can feel it. The babys urine stays against the skin longer. This actually led to the baby using the toilet quicker with cloth diapers due to the irritation. So there is a plus and minus in that regard. And with disposables it is trapped away from the skin with less irritation but with disposables it takes longer for a child to be trained to use the toilet. So in this case if I remember correctly rash was worse with cloth than disposable. But not sure. I remember research showing reusables were less sanitary. But I am not really clear on that. I have a guess but won't comment with out the facts.

I also remember a product in disposables which was sodium polyacrylate and had been linked I believe to toxic shock syndrome. But I would need to read more on that if the studies were conclusive and if it is still being used.

It is not an issue if I know what I am talking about. I am not giving my opinion. This is from independent studies. These people are smarter than you or I. I would take this research to be more credible than your opinion or my opinion or a study done by Huggies or by the manufacturers of the reusable diapers.

Say all you want that I don't know what I am talking about. Cloth or cotton made little difference except for the pesticides used. The pesticides comment is from what I know about growing cotton. It uses allot of chemicals and pesticides. I remeber 25% of all pesticides used. But that was not a part of the study that I recall. This study compared all cotton, cloth, hemp, bamboo, rice etc. And cloth diapers had a higher carbon footprint. They took into account the beginning to the end. From harvesting trees for disposables, petroleum used to make them and and the methane gas produced from disposables in the landfill and the potential contamination in the landfill. Every aspect from beginning to end was looked at. I even remember consideration that reusables could be passed to another baby and had more than one life. All types of the outer cover was studied. And I understand there are many. I also understand there are many different brands and types of reusables. It only looked at the environmental impact and no health issues. Anything I referenced regarding that is from memory from another paper I read.

I trust these facts. In spite of what you say about the ammount of water you use. Studies showed that 25 gallons a day are used to wash these diapers. That figure actually came from 75 gallons every two or three days because that is how the average person does it. Most wash every other day or every three days. Also despite what you say about rinsing in the toilet first. Again the study recognized that the manufacturer recommended this but the customer actually after a while rarely did it. They found it messy or awkward. Most also over wash. Many wash twice. Considering the first a prewash and the second wash more sanitary. I suppose if you follow the instructions exactly than it may be closer to what you suggest. But researchers found that almost nobody does it. They err on the side of caution when sanitation for their baby is concerned. This study is accurate and I would trust it more than what your opinion is as to what people do,or my opinion.What I might think is irrelevant. The 25 gallons a day is a low estimate. It makes no difference if I am confusing cloth with cotton,which I was not. It makes no difference of my understanding or knowledge of the product. Whether I have any familiarity with the product or not does not alter the conclusions of an independent study. That is where you are wrong. And whether you rinse in the toilet and wash in a small bucket does not affect the results. The results of a study will not change if the person reading it has no knowledge at all of what they are reading.

This study looked at all types. It was very recent. It was concluded at the end of last year. I read it about three months ago. It means nothing how many times you repeat that I don't know what I am talking about. It is not my opinion. The study was very concise. And it was said that this was not the conclusion they were expecting. They were expecting something showing reusable would be better for the environment. I will find it and pass on the link to you.

#24 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

Not to change the subject, but back to the original posting and topic of this thread: It was my understanding that all limbs, palm fronds (organics that won't fit in a bag) were required to be cut into a certain length, maybe more than a meter, but less than four feet, tied with string in "neat" bundles. This was so the bundles can be placed sideways in the truck. Whole palm fronds are too much to deal with for the workers. This is how my neighbors dealt with a tree and its limbs and another with a bunch of palm fronds. All cut, bundled with string/cord and then stacked. The regular truck then picked them up. Other neighbors have a large roll of unknown material. It is about five feet long (too long?). It sat there for a week and then they bundled it more and tied it with cord and it has been more than a week and it is still ignored. I could be wrong, but from personal observation twice in the last three weeks, both neighbors dealt with their organic debris in this manner and it was picked up the next day. Yes it was work to cut and neatly bundle the palm fronds, I was impressed.

Talk with the Palacio of find out how to contact the PASA office and maybe you can arrange a special pick up.

You can go back to the diaper discussion now.

#25 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

Charles that is my understanding as well. That is why I suggested tying them with string. Not all together but in small manageble bundles. When this is done I have always seen them taken as well.

I think you are exactly correct. Very good point.

#26 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:30 AM

Morenita this is Cozumel. If I personally have over a thousand pounds of debris a year (maybe 60-100 bags, maybe more...if cut and bagged), how much do all the resorts have? You say drop in the bucket. I say if everyone did as you say there would be several hundred thousand of bags at the dump that should never be there. Hundreds of thousands of bags. That is a lot by any standard. Especially on an island that is less than 40 miles long and less than 10 miles wide and already has a problem with the water table. And when those bags decompose they do not do so normally. Instead of rotting and drying in the sun the stuff in the bags has a tendancy to become partially liquid, which goes into the ground and is absorbed by the water table.

Plastic diapers....I have kids too and I know how that works, but the amount of plastic diapers is a mess here both at the landfill and on the beaches.

Glass? Our coke bottles are recycled (unlike the USA or Canada). Our beer bottles are recycled (unlike the USA or Canada). So we DO NOT have the problem with glass and much less cans than either one of those countries. The cans here ARE recycled. We rarely have glass waste and cans are recycled.

Another thing we all should be doing is taking our own reusable bags for groceries. All the stores seem to only have tiny bags that hold only a couple of items. So again, if we do not use our own bags........hundreds of thousands of plastic bags that were only used one time in the dump.

Per trash pick up....you should cut the palm fronds into smaller sections, which is pretty much obvious anyway unless you want 15'-20' fronds laying next to your house, which will not be picked up. In the old days they wanted it tied. Now my understanding is they do not want it tied so that it degrades quicker. There is no normal service to pick the stuff up like there used to be. There is a truck that circulates, but does not have a route. If we get a large pile sitting around for too long, we just go to the Palace and ask them to pick it up and they are usually here that same day.

Cozumel Diving

#27 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

First of all I have only put a bag out on a very few occasions and that is because my compost pile was getting full from taking the neighbors waste. I compost close to 100% of everything I can. I was responding to a post from someone that said they bagged some waste and put it on the curb. I was not responding in the first case to giant palm trees. I stand by my figures. Yours are a guess. And that is all they are. I would never suggest anyone like yourself putting out 100 bags a year. I don't think anyone on my street even has a palm tree or any type of garden to speak of. Our small lots are taken up mostly with construction. The only weeds I pick are what grows in the street in front. You have completely missrepresented what I have said. I never recommended someone putting out 100s of bags or resorts putting there stuff out as well. Or anything close to hundreds of thousands bags. If you read what I said. I mentioned the occassional bag. And yes I think everyone who can should do what I say. And that is to compost 99% of your organic waste. Not anything like what you are suggesting I said. Enough of the exagerating.

When I was living and going to school in the U.S. I can assure you they recycled way more of their glass, metal and cans than are done so here. If you think most all glass, metal and cans are recycled I would suggest that you are mistaken. I think I have a pretty good idea of what goes in the trash in the average Mexican home.

I have my own cloth bags that I take to the store. I compost, I recycle.

I stand by my estimates of the percentages of types of waste going to the landfill. You are only guessing. I have seen how much food waste goes in my compost. And if the average person is not composting than I believe the figure I quoted is accurate. And seeing how much food is thrown out by the all inclusives and restaurants I would think it may be even higher. And I am pretty sure the solid waste estimate is fairly accurate as well. And I am pretty sure the paper estimate is right on also. Packaging is pretty much the same here as it is in the U.S. or Canada.

I think you are getting a little carried away. I know this is Cozumel. I love the island and I love my country and I care about its future. And I sure do not need your insults. And obviously I have no way near the trash in a year that you have (1000 lbs of debris a year).

The estimates are not just for Canada. It is fairly reflective of most industrialized countries. And the percentage for diapers is based on sales worldwide. If you actually have some stats you can give me than feel free to critique. But until then stop guessing. And please do not misrepresent what I have said.

Actually never mind about the insults. I am a big girl and can handle you missrepresenting what I say.

#28 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:49 AM

1) 'I stand by my estimates of the percentages of types of waste going to the landfill. You are only guessing. I have seen how much food waste goes in my compost. And if the average person is not composting than I believe the figure I quoted is accurate. And seeing how much food is thrown out by the all inclusives and restaurants I would think it may be even higher. And I am pretty sure the solid waste estimate is fairly accurate as well. And I am pretty sure the paper estimate is right on as well. Packaging is pretty much the same here as it is in the U.S. or Canada.'

2)'I think you are getting a little carried away. I know this is Cozumel. I love the island and I love my country and I care about its future. And I sure do not need your insults. And obviously I have no way near the trash in a year that you have (1000 lbs of debris a year).'

3)'The estimates are not just for Canada. It is fairly reflective of most industrialized countries. And the percentage for diapers is based on sales worldwide. If you actually have some stats you can give me than feel free to critique. But until then stop guessing. And please do not misrepresent what I have said.

4)Actually never mind about the insults. I am a big girl and can handle anything you can give. But all I see is alot of guessing on your part here.'

I have just realzed there is no discussion with you and that you are not dialed in yet to the fact that wherever you came from has nothing in common with Cozumel. I am responding to 4 points of your last post.

1) I have lived here a very long time and my "guesses" are pretty good. You call them guesses, but you call your guesses accurate estimates.

2)Maybe you don't have a large garden. Many of us do and the resorts are filled with huge trees which unlike the trees in Canada produce a huge amount of waste. I do not exaggerate to make a point. That is insulting.

3) I give an honest estimate based on EXPERIENCE, not some report from 4,000 miles away. By the way.....do you honestly consider Cozumel and advanced industrial nation. I ask because I think anyone that knows anything about the island would take issue with that. We have hardly anything in common with mainstream Mexico, let alone the larger world.

4) As far as I can see, not one person insulted you. If disagreeing strongly with you is your idea of an insult, I think you really need to grow thicker skin.

Cozumel is not Canada. We have nothing in common with the flora or fauna of the North. Cozumel is its own little world. You would do well dealing with what is at hand and forget the comparisons to your old life.

And frankly after your arguing with very long time islanders and going on to such lengths to prove us wrong, with Canadian reports, claims of exaggeration and claims of being insulted....your introduction of "OMG aren't we over reacting a bit" is rather silly.

Go ahead and knock your lights out. The thread started with Carey having a ton of palm fronds in front of her house and she was asking how to get rid of it. You said to cut it and bag it, which is not only a very poor choice but is virtually impossible. Then you go on a minor rant about the rest of the world and garbage. Then when the only two people here (who posted) with considerable time living here disagree with you..............you are right and they are wrong and somehow you have been insulted (in other words you are now a victim of something or other). What a concept.

Anyway I totally disagree with you about the plant waste and bagging it, which is what this was about to begin with until you changed it into every other type of waste available. I also find it very bad form to act as if someone insulted you when this is not true. Playing the victim card is weak.

You can continue with your rant, but I am done responding to someone who refuses to listen.

By the way, you stated that nauticab and myself were changing the topic. Excuse me? The topic was what to do with large amounts of plant waste. YOU changed the topic with your lecture on world garbage.

Cozumel Diving

#29 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:28 AM

How did you make an assumption that I was from Canada after I only made one reference to a study that they did about the estimated ammounts of trash throughout the world? I have never been to Canada and know nothing about living in Canada. I never indicated that I have any knowledge about Canada. I never went "on a minor rant about the rest of the world and garbage". All my conversation was about Cozumel. I was born in Mexico and despite what you think I would bet I have at least as good of an understanding of Cozumel as most. I have lived in Mexico all my life (with the exception of a few years in the U.S. for school) but I do not limit my education only to what I read here.

Not playing any victim card here. I took what some said as an insult only because it was missrepresenting what I said. It was stated that I was constantly saying something when I said it 2 out of 11 times. And it was mentioned a couple times I do not know what I am talking about. My fellings are not hurt. I am definitely much tougher than that. I am saying it is insulting to missrepresent what I say and post on a public forum that I said something I did not.

That is what you did also. I would have no problem with you disagreeing if you accurately represent what I say. But you did not. I never told Carey to cut and bag a palm. That is absolutely false.

I never suggested that people bag 100s of bags of this type of mat. If you had read what I said. Everytime I discussed bagging lawn waste I used the words "few" "occassional" "rare" and "small". I only used 13 gallon bags which are not large. So I do not see how I ever implied anything close to what you suggested I said.

I know Cozumel pretty well and have relatives who have lived here for two generations. So I have no idea what the "forget the comparisons to your old life" is all about.

Read what was actually said. I was not replying to Careys post directly. I replied after Gringa Erin said they bagged debris and put it out to pick up. I never said cut it up and bag it. I mentioned to Carey to tie it with string after she said they were giant palms. I told Nauticab I was refering to tying it in small bundles after she mentioned how much there was. That was just to make it easier to load.

Please do not misrepresent what I say.

You do not know me. You know nothing about me and know nothing about what I do or do not know about Cozumel. I can tell you I surely know more about my country than you do.

Why keep bringing up Canada. I referenced it once. I have no idea of the type of yard waste they have to the North. I only know of what is in the U.S. from the time I was in school there.

I did not use the term advanced industrialized nation. But I think it would be insulting if you are suggesting Mexico is not an industrialized country ( which is what I did said) of which Cozumel is a part. I agree we do things a little differently here than on the mainland. But someone who has lived my whole life in Mexico I would take insult if you are suggesting we are not an industrialized country.

I may have used the word "insulting" incorrectly. I did not mean it in a way as to suggest my fellings were hurt. Only that it is insulting to missrepresent what I said.

I have plenty thick skin. You cannot hurt my feelings. I felt insulted by missrepresenting what I really said on several occassions.
That is an insult. Just as you said I was insulting when I said you were exagerating. You are right. And I appologize. I should have used another word.

Your recent post has nothing to do with any facts just to say how much you know about Cozumel and all you experience and assuming that I know very little.

If you are going to disagree with me why not just stick to facts rather than try to suggest how much you know about living here and how you think I know nothing or as you put it "not dialed in yet to the fact that wherever you came from has nothing in common with Cozumel". I would agree D.F. and Merida are not like Cozumel. But I have been here long enough and have family that were born here to know enough about what I talk about. You may have lived here for many years and may have experience in some areas. But I sure I have more than sufficient knowledge about Cozumel to offer my opinion.

I am not new to this subject of the land fill and recycling and alternative ideas for waste. I was discussing the idea of the plant to convert the waste to electricity back when Juan Carlos was trying to decide whether to look for an investor to do that or to contract the trash service to a private company. And am very familiar with what Gustavo was attempting to do as well.

This is not just something I came across on a thread on CMC.

Personally I thought I had allot of good things to say in the first few posts about recycling, composting etc.

Lets stick with facts and keep the discussion on a serious level and not be condescending and try to act like someone knows more than someone else.

I never lectured on world garbage. Where do you get that idea? I was always talking about Cozumel.

Mike my first post was a response to Gringa Erin. I simply said a few times I bagged garden refuse. And you went into how that was going to lead to 100,000s of bags. And it went from there.

#30 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

If you put a bag of used diapers on your bundle of palm fronds, would it make it more or less likely they would haul it away?

(Trying to bring us full circle here....) :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#31 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:14 AM

If you put a bag of used diapers on your bundle of palm fronds, would it make it more or less likely they would haul it away?

(Trying to bring us full circle here....) :P

they would probably take the palms and leave the diapers.

#32 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

Frankly you know so little about the island, which is reflected in so many of your posts, that I honestly thought you were Canadian.

That seems to be racial poster profiling. Or are Canadian documented to have less Coz-knowledge than other countries' residents? :P

Y'all should relax a little and keep the $%^& in the diapers!

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#33 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

It was reported that the wood chipper that was sent over here after the hurricanes was stolen.

Could this be one of the reasons they are not picking up plant materials?

Now, where would one hide a big old wood chipper on the island...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#34 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

I agree I deleted many things that someone might think was inappropriate. Sorry . Lets stop any more discussion making it personal.

#35 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

It was reported that the wood chipper that was sent over here after the hurricanes was stolen.

Could this be one of the reasons they are not picking up plant materials?

Now, where would one hide a big old wood chipper on the island...

Based on some Por Esto articles, probably in 6 different trucks sneaking stolen scrap to the mainland? :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#36 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

Since I started this sh*t storm with *gasp* occasionally bagging my organic material for trash pick-up, here's a quote by one of my favorite comedians, George Carlin, to perhaps lighten the mood. <Stirs pot...> ;)

“We’re so self-important. Everybody’s going to save something now. “Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails.” And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. Save the planet, we don’t even know how to take care of ourselves yet. I’m tired of this sh*t. I’m tired of fucking Earth Day. I’m tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is that there aren’t enough bicycle paths. People trying to make the world safe for Volvos. Besides, environmentalists don’t give a sh*t about the planet. Not in the abstract they don’t. You know what they’re interested in? A clean place to live. Their own habitat. They’re worried that some day in the future they might be personally inconvenienced. Narrow, unenlightened self-interest doesn’t impress me.

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles … hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages … And we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn’t going anywhere. WE are!

We’re going away. Pack your sh*t, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam … The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas.

The planet will be here for a long, long, LONG time after we’re gone, and it will heal itself, it will cleanse itself, ’cause that’s what it does. It’s a self-correcting system. The air and the water will recover, the earth will be renewed. And if it’s true that plastic is not degradable, well, the planet will simply incorporate plastic into a new paradigm: the earth plus plastic. The earth doesn’t share our prejudice toward plastic. Plastic came out of the earth. The earth probably sees plastic as just another one of its children. Could be the only reason the earth allowed us to be spawned from it in the first place. It wanted plastic for itself. Didn’t know how to make it. Needed us. Could be the answer to our age-old egocentric philosophical question, “Why are we here?”

Plastic, asshole.”

#37 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

I personally do not see any harm in what you posted the first time or what you are saying here about "occasionally bagging my organic material for trash pick-up"

That was my point. I allways used the words "occassional" "few" or "rare". And I think the effect is much less than allot of other things we do.

We can all use a little humor.

Recycle when you can, compost if you can. Do what you can do. It's a small island, we need to take care of it.

#38 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

Wow.... I guess nappies is one of 'those' issues. If you bring it up the &*^% hits the fan....

I don't know its true, but the Brit say with common usage the carbon footprint of cloth nappies is higher?

Brits

AND you have to pick poop outta 'em. EWWW.....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#39 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hysterical Chief. Thank God for a little humor. Thanks Chief thanks Erin. Enjoyed the chuckle

#40 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

another reason mayo is not correct all the time...
"Use a mild detergent and skip the fabric softeners and dryer sheets because they can contain fragrances that may irritate your baby's skin."
skipping fabric softeners is not to reduce the irritation (very small part). fabric softeners STOP THE ABSORBENCY. they create a slight water repellent layer on the fabric. NOT something you should do when the diaper needs to absorb to pass thru the fleece to get to the absorbant microfiber insertion.

gringaerin, I LOVE george and the world misses him terribly. thank you for that post!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users