#41 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

another reason mayo is not correct all the time...

I totally disagree!!!!

But my wife likes to use Miracle Whip, so don't tell her I said that.... :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#42 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

another reason mayo is not correct all the time...
"Use a mild detergent and skip the fabric softeners and dryer sheets because they can contain fragrances that may irritate your baby's skin."
skipping fabric softeners is not to reduce the irritation (very small part). fabric softeners STOP THE ABSORBENCY. they create a slight water repellent layer on the fabric. NOT something you should do when the diaper needs to absorb to pass thru the fleece to get to the absorbant microfiber insertion.

I would not know. You would obviously know alot more than me about that. I wouldn't have a clue

I have read that with cloth diapers you are not supposed to use creams for diaper rash because it reduces its absorbency. But I have no idea if that is true or not.

#43 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

B)
creams do not wash well. zinc oxide is very difficult to remove from fabric. also quite difficult to remove from the tush of a baby with severe diaper rash, however it is one of the main ingredients of so many diaper rash creams. guess what i used? my organic salve. no stains, easy on the tush, and better overall for the baby's bottom as it cures faster.
it does affect the absorbancy a little as well, due to smothering the fabric.
no reason to further bore people with this info. for your own reading enjoyment, read all about it here and check out the info tab. may you find the info and the STATS enlightening. http://ecopipo.com.mx/

i am done talking about dirty diapers.
next!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#44 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Chief you giving me a hell of a chuckle today. Thanks
Needed the humor. Have been reading peer reveiws all night and all day. Burnout!

I'm all for MAYO too.

One thing though Chief, in defense of cloth diapers, the actual results would be less here in Cozumel than this study, for a variety of reasons. One obvious one I doubt few would dry diapers in a dryer. I had read that study awhile back. Quite thorough.
But regarding some of it I will come to the defense of the cloth diapers.

#45 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

Chief you giving me a hell of a chuckle today. Thanks
Needed the humor. Have been reading peer reveiws all night and all day. Burnout!

I'm all for MAYO too.

One thing though Chief, in defense of cloth diapers, the actual results would be less here in Cozumel than this study, for a variety of reasons. One obvious one I doubt few would dry diapers in a dryer. I had read that study awhile back. Quite thorough.
But regarding some of it I will come to the defense of the cloth diapers.

I do my small part where I can.:P

I have to say I don't agree with mayo that has been left out in the heat. I don't care about the stats on that. I aint eating warm mayo!:o

On the diapers, I wonder what the carbon foot print of MX electric is VS British power? They do say in the study you have to line dry them to get them lower than disposables. Fascinating reading. Well maybe not fascinating....:unsure:

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#46 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

I could be wrong but I think line drying will lower the footprint but still does not get them lower than disposables. Because most studies I have read assume the same average that 75% line dry. So with 100% line drying it will improve their rating some. I think this one, if my memory is correct, assumes the same average of 75% line drying. But I could be wrong about that.

I will defend cloth diapers when I think they are being unfairly attacked. And the Huggies study was one of those situations.

#47 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

I have had it with the snipping, and deleted those posts.

I am getting complaints as to how and why this topic has gone so far off the tracks...

THIS POST IS ABOUT GETTING RID OF PALM FRONDS.

It appears an easy solution is to cut them into small bundles and hope that the city picks them up, or you can find a vacant lot and throw your carp there.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#48 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

carey, did you get in touch with them and is there a solution for your pile?
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#49 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

carey, did you get in touch with them and is there a solution for your pile?

No that job hasn't yet come up to the top of my list. I a Cozumelena now and, just like everyone else around here, I takes me time. I'm not completely blocking the sidewalk (we built and paid for, I might add). So no huge hurry in my mind. But it do look as though I'm going to have to call and/or go in to get this taken care of. When I do, I will post results. I need to know as this is going to be a continuing problem for awhile. A lot of our clippings can be used for mulch in the garden but right now, for reasons I won't go into now, that's not going to work.

#50 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

I smell a bonfire....Texas style. Bring the marshmallows and hot dogs. :P

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#51 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

I smell a bonfire....Texas style. Bring the marshmallows and hot dogs. :P

Hmmm. There's a thought. If I could just set the fire when none of my neighbors were peering out their windows -- which could be at any time of the night, I might add. Only thing is it might set the tilting telephone pole against which the pile is leaning on a slow creosote burn as well and there goes my cablemas connection.

#52 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

Since I started this sh*t storm with *gasp* occasionally bagging my organic material for trash pick-up, here's a quote by one of my favorite comedians, George Carlin, to perhaps lighten the mood. <Stirs pot...> ;)

Hilarious, Erin! Thanks for adding that much needed note of levity to the proceedings. Really enjoyed it.

#53 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

Called the Palacio this morning at 9 AM -- 872-9800 and explained the situation to the operator who transferred me to another office where I inquired and explained again. She asked me how much basura del jardin I had and I told her less than half a truckload. So now we'll see how soon they pick it up. But obviously, they DO pick it up so thanks all for those tips, the number, etc. Much appreciated.

For anyone else needing to do this with shaky Spanish, here's what I told them if you want to keep it for reference:

Buen dia. Tengo basura del jardin (accent over the "i") que necessita ser quitada. Es posible que la ciudad puede quitar esto para mi?

#54 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:44 AM

Update on my pile of garden refuse. Hooray! They took it away! Called the number for the palacio kindly provided elsewhere in this thread. Spoke to two people in Spanish (exact phrases in Spanish are also listed elsewhere in this thread) and the city picked it up yesterday morning -- so about a week after I alerted them. And they did a great job, too. All cleaned up and pretty again! So this works. They come. Just be patient. I was planning to give them two weeks and then a gentle reminder if necessary. It wasn't necessary. They were on the case!

Now I'll get my iron trash basket sawed down and put iron hooks to hold our trash bags on a reach of wall all the way around the corner from there and that should clean up the sidewalk in front of our place once and for all.

I do wish I could be a fly on the wall, however, the first time whichever neighbors it is that have been piling their untied trash in our basket come out and discover they're going to have to make other plans. But they'll prolly be peeking out through the curtains watching Don Rigo saw it off or burn it off or whatever he's going to do. It's sunk in concrete I know that. So I think I may have to get a mason involved to fix the sidewalk afterwards. Not that anyone ELSE ever does that. The sidewalks here are minefields. But that is another topic for another day.

#55 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

You think about a sign on the basket that says "Tie bags" maybe?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#56 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

Not worth the aggie. And it's not just tying them. It's putting in small bags that fall through between the basket slats. Plus there's passersby throwing in plastic coke bottles and styrofoam boxes containing remnants of lunch.

Just found out that AJ was out there picking up our sidewalk trash for years. But he made a decision to Just Not Do It any more about a year ago. And I guess our passive-aggressive note leaving complainer didn't want to step in and take up the slack either. (I know I'm not doing it. Sorry if that makes me a bad person but if so, there it is.)

#57 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

That is sarcasm right? :)

Cozumel Diving

#58 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:31 AM

Of course it would work better in Spanish... Wouldn't hurt until the iron guy arrives right? Hope springs eternal and all that? ;)

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#59 Olivio

Olivio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:143040

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

We can now see more of your garden George.
And you were right, you do have a lot of shrubs, nice ones in there as well.
Didn't notice the hoof prints.
Keeps you out of mischief.
Is it just you who looks after the garden?

Malcolm
Lo bueno de los anos es que curan heridas, lo malo de los besos es que crean adiccion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users