8 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

My wonderful housekeeper who has been with us for 12 years tells me that a friend of hers, another housekeeper who she worked with many years ago when they were both employed by one of the big vacation rental agencies, has just returned to the island. She doesn't like living in Playa (among other things, the taxistas are apparently not very nice.) She is looking for work here.

I cannot vouch for her work, of course, but if she's a friend and associate of Maria, there is a good chance she is intelligent, honest and hard working and its getting more and more difficult to find high quality help here. She also has a very nice smile, I note, as she came by to visit Maria this morning which is how I heard about her.

If you are looking for a housekeeper, send me an email with your phone number and I'll pass it along to Maria. Don't write if you are looking for someone dirt cheap. The good ones are like gold and if you want to keep them, you must pay fairly and not pile on unreasonable amounts of work. careycsutton@hotmail.com

#2 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

Cary,

I pay for my housekeeper through a property management company, so I'm not too sure what housekeepers go for. What should I expect to pay someone direct for a three bedroom condo?

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

For a full-time housekeeper -- 6-7 hours per day 6 days per week -- not sure what the 'going rate' is and that might make a good discussion. A good starting salary might be around $1200 pesos/week with a raise every year or two if the work is great and reliable.

#4 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

We have a housekeeper for one afternoon every other week. What does a full-time housekeeper's job consist of? Do they watch kids, do laundry, shop, cook, iron? I'm just curious.

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

Seriously. I could feel like Donald Trump for 100US a week?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

We have a housekeeper for one afternoon every other week. What does a full-time housekeeper's job consist of? Do they watch kids, do laundry, shop, cook, iron? I'm just curious.

They do a lot of dusting and sweeping and washing of tile floors, furniture, ceiling fans, walls let me tell you. This is one dusty place especially in the dry season. Dish washing and kitchen clean up, bathrooms, sheets changed. Some do laundry others don't. Maria does all our laundry including a lot of hand washables. And she helps with watering the plants in our somewhat extensive gardens. We have 6 large rooms plus 2 kitchens and 4 bathrooms. Many outside terraces that need to be swept periodically and even hosed down in dry season. She stays busy. Doesn't work fast, just goes along at a good, steady pace. That's the way it works down here. Don't try to rush them. It's one of the perks of getting so much less money than their US counterparts -- more relaxed style of working so less stress.

#7 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

Ok, thanks Carey!

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Seriously. I could feel like Donald Trump for 100US a week?

You have to add in also the segura social which will run around $400/year. And a bonus is expected and legally required every Christmas.
We pay Maria top dollar at this point, what most would consider a shocking $1600 pesos/week. But she worked her way up to this and is trusted and highly valued employee who is really kind of part of our family at this point.

Still a good deal. I pay a maid service to send two cleaners to my parents condo in So Cal twice per month. It's $86 US/pop. So that's $86 US for 3 hours x's 2 people=6 hours.

#9 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Carey
Is that for one day a week?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users