31 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

I can't prove it but I have noticed a huge increase in litter on the sidewalk in front of our house since new tenants moved into one of the homes across the street a couple of years ago.

We did okay for years with one of those iron basket trash cans that sits on a post sunk into the concrete. You put your bagged trash in there and it keeps it out of the reach of dogs and the trash guys pick it up.

When we first put this in, it had more basket rails. This led to everyone who walked by tossing their soda bottles, etc. into the basket and it was falling down through the cracks onto the sidewalk. Then we removed half the rails so that the basket obviously looked like a holder for bags and wouldn't keep in loose trash. This worked great for a long time.

However, of late, neighbors are dumping untied Chedraui bags of trash into our basket and these spill out on the street and make a continuous mess. I hate it. On the other hand, I'm damned if it's going to be my job to pick up some lazy ass's trash on a daily basis!

It's been bugging me for a long time but couldn't think of a solution. Then I was reminded again yesterday when a Cowardly English as First Language neighbor pasted a large note to our gate ruining the paint job. Called us horrible pigs. Ja Ja. Oink Oink. We're not. Obviously. We bag up everything oh so neatly, paid for the trash can, tip the street sweeper outrageously whenever he comes by to encourage more of same. Our irate Ninja Note leaving Neighbor obviously hasn't been in Cozumel long or would understand the problem is not with us at all.

However, the incident DID get me thinking again about the Final Solution since Nauticab's great iron man is already coming next week to do some other work for us. (Thanks, Dailene for that Don Rigo rec!)

What I'm thinking -- Cut down the basket trash can. Attach two small iron hooks to the wall outside our gate. Hang our trash bags there, high enough up so the dogs can't get them and also possibly high enough that it is difficult for the average shortie here to easily reach and include their own, nasty, over-loaded Chedraui bags of trash to the mix.

I know the typical thing here is just to hang your trash on the gate. I think that looks repulsive. Right at eye level, too. So don't bother to offer that suggestion. Also already considered putting a top on the basket and padlocking it. But I'd have to leave it open all night for the trash guys and neighbors would start adding their stuff again after I go to bed, I'm sure. And ditto for a big iron or plastic trash can chained on the sidewalk out front -- total invitation for people to throw in loose garbage which will NOT be taken away.

Anyone come up with an attractive and creative solution to this ever present and pervasive problem? If so, we'd all love to hear your tale. Digame! Digame!

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

I hate cleaning up after the beach goers, taxi drivers, and workers throwing debrief in, and around our wire garbage box.

The only other solution I can think of for you is to put a garage bag in the bin, tie a string around it so that it does not fall down. It won't work for me, because ours is square, and pretty good size.

Not sure what's worse, pick up the trash from others, or having it laying around on the streets.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

I hate cleaning up after the beach goers, taxi drivers, and workers throwing debrief in, and around our wire garbage box.

The only other solution I can think of for you is to put a garage bag in the bin, tie a string around it so that it does not fall down. It won't work for me, because ours is square, and pretty good size.

Not sure what's worse, pick up the trash from others, or having it laying around on the streets.

Tried that. city won't take loose trash. If I lined the basket with a new bag every day so everyone could throw their trash in it and made it loose so it could be grabbed out by the garbage guys, they'd take it, I'm sure. But that's kind of hard dirty work as the basket is pretty tall -- top is at like 68". Hooks on the wall are still looking like the best option, I'm afraid.

Now that I think about it, when we first came here there used to be tons of these baskets around and they were a standard item for the iron workers. Now you hardly see ANY. All removed for the same reason ours is about to go, I'm sure.

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

How disappointing! First you have the problem of people using your basket and making a mess, then you try to fix it, then you get castigated for trying to fix it (and your gate gets messed up into the bargain!).

I'm really hoping to read some useful solutions to this as I've gotten totally accustomed to taking all our trash to the dump in person but had noticed, as you pointed out, that the iron baskets seem to attract everyone's loose trash and leak it onto the sidewalk.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

Well, we're thinking that an attractive-looking decorative wrought iron hook bolted to our exterior wall will be pretty much the only thing that's going to work. Just have to design it so it will only hold two bags tops. And I guess we'll have to switch to the kind of bags that have yellow ties at the top. Will report if we have good luck and can get it not looking too atrocious

Whoever posted that nasty note, well, the heat is probably getting to them and they snapped. My guess is they won't be long for Mexico. I really wish they hadn't messed with my new paint job, however.

#6 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

We keep our trash in our gated garage until trash night, and then place our bags on the curb. So far, so good, in terms of dogs leaving it alone. Their window of opportunity is pretty small as the trash usually goes out around 9pm and I usually hear the trash guys at 10 or 11.

Good luck :)

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

We keep our trash in our gated garage until trash night, and then place our bags on the curb. So far, so good, in terms of dogs leaving it alone. Their window of opportunity is pretty small as the trash usually goes out around 9pm and I usually hear the trash guys at 10 or 11.

Good luck :)

We have trash pick up 7 days per week at around 4 AM! That's why I don't dare just leave bags out on the street. Can't stay up much past 10 PM. Fohgetabout middle of the night.

#8 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

we have the giant trash barrels, with a long chain. it does receive lots of loose trash but more often than not, the guys literally dump the whole thing upside down in the trash truck and all is good.
it is an ugly barrel, but it works for us.
glad you have don rigo doing your stuff. he is good. when we were burglerized in the store and they broke the protector, we filled it with block so we lost a window. we were able to reuse the protector....he made a few changes and converted it into a new front gate for my mother-in-law, installed in time and reasonable cost.

i am sure his hooks will be nice and probably look much nicer than our ugly barrel. might consider that for later...
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#9 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

We have had the same trash barrel for 16 years. We use an 55 gallon heavy plastic drum that we found in the channel that fell off of a container ship. We cut 4 holes into it and chain it to the street light next to the garage.

Cozumel Diving

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:24 AM

We have had the same trash barrel for 16 years. We use an 55 gallon heavy plastic drum that we found in the channel that fell off of a container ship. We cut 4 holes into it and chain it to the street light next to the garage.

Your house is on the quiet, very low pedestrian traffic end of 15, however, Mike. Whereas, as you know, it's pretty busy on our section of the street. Lot of car and foot traffic out front. Plus a whole lot of small dwellings mixed in with a few apartments. I'm pretty sure our problems are mostly with the newest Mexican renter family that live almost directly across the street from the location of our iron trash basket. I think when we put up the hooks, I might move the location to a place where they don't see it every time they open their front door.

#11 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

A lot of people think we live in a quiet area and we do sort of. Every day we get a few hundred kids passing back and forth to school and hanging in the park. In the middle of the day there can be dozens of kids with the attending vendors leaving trash everywhere. And on Sundays we get a couple thousand people passing to get to the beach and then back to their homes. I honestly would say that per local foot traffic there is not a much busier area than right in front of our villa.

Your neighbors must be complete as#$#les to think they have a right to tell you what to do with your trash.

It's always the new guys that think they have some right that is just ridiculous.

Cozumel Diving

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

True, Mike! I'd forgotten about your playground, weekend vendors and a school being so close. Well, with that big trash barrel you have a lot of people must dump unbagged stuff in there. Do the garbage guys take it all? Like by turning over the barrel?

And as to the whining, indignant neighbor, yah, he/she wrote they'd been here 3 years -- which almost exactly coincides with my suspected dumper nabes from across the street moving in.

Sounds like this person has been holding a grudge for years. And now is snapping as yet another relentless summer in a house without AC approaches and that job as an Animator at the Melia starts way dragging on the tips. Or leads start drying up for time share sales. That kind of anger doesn't mix well mood-wise with Septhambre, Octhambre and Novhambre in tourist land.

#13 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

I walk my dogs to the little beach by El Cantil most mornings and walk by a bunch of houses. I have seen hooks fastened to telephone poles. The hooks are spaced evenly and go all the way around. If there's a telephone pole that's close enough to you to get to and, hopefully, VERY close to your neighbors' house/yard maybe they will more reluctant to dirty up their side of the street. You said that they use untied bags so at least the hooks would fasten the bags somewhat. Just an idea.

#14 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

True, Mike! I'd forgotten about your playground, weekend vendors and a school being so close. Well, with that big trash barrel you have a lot of people must dump unbagged stuff in there. Do the garbage guys take it all? Like by turning over the barrel?

And as to the whining, indignant neighbor, yah, he/she wrote they'd been here 3 years -- which almost exactly coincides with my suspected dumper nabes from across the street moving in.

Sounds like this person has been holding a grudge for years. And now is snapping as yet another relentless summer in a house without AC approaches and that job as an Animator at the Melia starts way dragging on the tips. Or leads start drying up for time share sales. That kind of anger doesn't mix well mood-wise with Septhambre, Octhambre and Novhambre in tourist land.

The way the barrel is chained to the post they could never get it upside down or near the truck. So yeah we could have the problem with others putting trash in it. We avoid this problem by taking it out at night and we run at sunrise, so it is pulled in early.

Your dipstick neighbors do not seem to have a clue as to property laws. What do they think they are the road monitor?

No a/c? In the tropics? Why would anyone want to put themselves through that? A lot of people move here for reasons that are baffling. Work 70 hours, six days a week, for nothing, can't afford or have the time to dive or a car to go to the beach, no a/c, can't afford to eat out. And they wonder why they are not happy. They still make palm trees and blue water in Florida. Why not just go there and live a much easier life?

Cozumel Diving

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

The way the barrel is chained to the post they could never get it upside down or near the truck. So yeah we could have the problem with others putting trash in it. We avoid this problem by taking it out at night and we run at sunrise, so it is pulled in early.

Your dipstick neighbors do not seem to have a clue as to property laws. What do they think they are the road monitor?

No a/c? In the tropics? Why would anyone want to put themselves through that? A lot of people move here for reasons that are baffling. Work 70 hours, six days a week, for nothing, can't afford or have the time to dive or a car to go to the beach, no a/c, can't afford to eat out. And they wonder why they are not happy. They still make palm trees and blue water in Florida. Why not just go there and live a much easier life?

Well, I'm speculating that it is probably one of the young women who live right next door to us and I don't believe those places have AC but I could be wrong.

As to litter monitors -- well, in the states in the 'burbs calling up someone on this might be appropriate. Here I do kind of take offense that they would assume it was us rather than one of the other 40 or 50 people who reside in this particular half-block not to mention all the people going by on foot. Ah city life. This is a problem in inner cities in the states, too, of course.

We're going with the hooks. And I may take cozitsnice's advice and throw in a couple of free hooks on a telephone pole across the street as well. We've already removed a derelict vacant lot that was a mosquito den and eyesore to the whole neighborhood by buying, enclosing and turning it into a garden. So we might as well just keep the ball rolling.

I don't like to invest too much emotionally-speaking into litter problems outside my door, however. Litter is just one of the downsides of life in Mexico. And from what I hear, Cozumel is a lot cleaner than many places in the country in that respect. So I consider it one of those aspects of life here that you just have to learn to ignore to some extent. If you can't manage this then, as you say, Mike, move to Florida.

#16 victoriawasserman

victoriawasserman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

Well, we're thinking that an attractive-looking decorative wrought iron hook bolted to our exterior wall will be pretty much the only thing that's going to work. Just have to design it so it will only hold two bags tops. And I guess we'll have to switch to the kind of bags that have yellow ties at the top. Will report if we have good luck and can get it not looking too atrocious

Whoever posted that nasty note, well, the heat is probably getting to them and they snapped. My guess is they won't be long for Mexico. I really wish they hadn't messed with my new paint job, however.

#17 victoriawasserman

victoriawasserman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

DEAR NEIGHBOR LIKE I ALWAYS SAY ..IF YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM JOIN THEM! GO FOR THE HOOKS!
WE HANG OURS OFF NAILS AND OUR FRONT GATE BUT EVEN THEN THE DOGS OR CATS GET TO THEM EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE!
I DID ASK THE GIRLS ABOUT IT AND THEY WERE CLUELESS..TWO OF THE SWEETEST GIRLS ON THE ISLAND QUITE CONTENT TO BE HERE
AND THEY BOTH HAVE A/C. BUT I HAVE INSTRUCTED THEM NOT TO USE YOUR GARBAGE BIN SO AS NOT TO ADD TO YOUR WOES...IN THE MEANTIME
I'LL KEEP MY EYES OPEN TO SEE IF WE CAN CATCH THE COWARDLY PERSON WHO POSTED IT!
I, MYSELF PREFER TO TAKE A MORE PERSONAL APPROACH THAN LEAVING AN ANONYMOUS NOTE...OR BLOGGING ABOUT IT..
HOW ABOUT KNOCKING ON YOUR NEIGHBORS DOOR AND TRYING TO RESOLVE IT IN A NEIGHBORLY MANNER.
AS HUMAN NATURE GOES WE ALL THINK EVERYBODY ELSES "TRASH" STINKS WORSE THAN OUR OWN!

#18 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

:o

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#19 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

I am waiting for the 'Surrender Dorothy' music to cue.

Cozumel Diving

#20 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

the key word is 'clueless'. It did take a big effort, and awareness in the states before people stopped throwing litter around everywhere, burn piles and creating garbage dumps. Remember the poor Indian crying campaign.

Blog away, the more people made aware, MAYBE the less they will want to live in their own filth.

I am a strong believer in property rights. Nobody has the right to dump THEIR trash, and debrief on my property and that includes bio-degradable.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users