• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Friend my mine can not use her pool because her coconut palm is dropping coco bombs.

The tree is between 20-25 feet high, and loaded with coco's.

One last question, can coco trees be sterilized?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

The gardener we've been using, Enrique Arco or one of his sons might have that as a specialty or know someone who does it. None of them speak a word of English, however. Can your friend handle that?

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

Friend my mine can not use her pool because her coconut palm is dropping coco bombs.

The tree is between 20-25 feet high, and loaded with coco's.

One last question, can coco trees be sterilized?

Yes, but their voice gets higher and they pee on the furniture more....

Seriously, you can sterilize a tree? That does sound a little scarey, dodging coconuts.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:56 AM

That does sound a little scarey, dodging coconuts.

Palm trees can be a lot of trouble and dangerous, too! Our 35 foot high royal palms of which we have 3 survivors from 5 before Wilma are a real danger, too, when the giant, razor-edged palm fronds come crashing down. They hang by a thread for weeks sometimes and then the right wind will come along and BLAM. You or your dog do not want to be under it. It would kill my dog for sure.

Trimming Coco palms and removing the nuts appears to make a pretty good livelihood for a lot of guys in Hawaii. The resorts and rental properties in particular are on the hook legally if a tourists takes on in the noodle. Down here it's every man for themselves.

Here's an interesting factoid -- palms are in the grass family. So imagine a palm tree as a giant blade of grass.

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

Jeez, now I am in trouble. I have to look down to make sure I don't take a header on a cracked sideway and at the same time look up for incoming coconuts and palm fronds. I guess I better stop chewing gum while I walk. :lol:

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#6 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

palaperos can also help with getting them down. pretty much any palapa company can do it.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

palaperos can also help with getting them down. pretty much any palapa company can do it.

Good idea. Those tend to be real jungle folks, too, who still know the old ways. However, I was told they do NOT like to be referred to as 'palaperos' at all. I settled on Maestros de las palapas a long time ago in the interest of not insulting anyone inadvertently.

My contractor, Dino, will know how to find one for you if the ever helpful Dailene doesn't have contact info to hand. He's coming back later this week to finish up a few small jobs like hanging a reja so I can most certainly ask him.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

the Gardner that Jimmy and Laurie Anderson provide where able to climb the tree and remove the coco's.

It took much effort, but the tree is now clean of nuts, for now.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 J belle

J belle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Family, gardening, swimming, snorkeling, being on the ocean any way possible

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

Those tall palms can be seriously dangerous! Years ago (not in Coz ) I was walking under one about 30 feet high and a frond came crashing down on my head. Knocked me unconscious! Not one of my choices now for our backyard.

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

On the bright side, I read a news article that you have a better chance of hitting the Mega-millions than being killed by a falling coconut.

*Of course, they didn't mention being seriously beaned, but not killed.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#11 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

Per the fronds and coconuts killing someone or something: Unless your name is Keith Richards that's got to have the odds of getting hit by a crashing airliner or getting fed to alligators by eco-terrorists. :)

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users