• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Our washer is leaking. Anyone knows a washer repairman?

Thank you

#2 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Really, no one know a person that can repair our washing machine? We used to know an excellent repairman but he moved away.

#3 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Mario will probably be able to help you.
044 987 112 4353

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

Mario will probably be able to help you.
044 987 112 4353

Yah, I was going to mention Mario but decided I didn't want to sound like a broken record. He actually taught himself English maintaining washing machines and dryers many anos ago. He may well know what the problem is and if he doesn't have time for it, he will at least give you the name of someone who CAN help you.

#5 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Mario is a lot of people's go to guy when things go south ;)

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

There are many high quality guys out there, but you need to speak Spanish to work with them.

Cozumel Diving

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

There are many high quality guys out there, but you need to speak Spanish to work with them.

There are actually more bums then good ones out there in my opinion and based on a whole LOT of experience on the subject.

I speak plenty good Spanish to deal with any workmen situation. Mario is the only English speaker I've ever used. I've seen a number of appallingly bad painters, electricians and iron men here in my day. Bad fridge repair guys, bad AC installers. The list goes on and on. Bad electricians would be at the top of the list. There are a whole lot of men here passing themselves off as electricians that barely know doodley.

If you have good service providers to suggest, ones that only speak Spanish, fire away, Mike. Plenty of people who read these board don't have to have an English speaker. Let's give your good guys some referrals! Times is tough, let's share the wealth.

I always recommend Mario not just because he's good and conscientious but because he is a good friend of mine and has been for at least 10 years.

#8 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

We have a small company of them. We have recently been installing mini-splits in several homes and condos and have won a bid to put an entire roof on a condo and reset all of the A/C units. We, well the wife re-did an entire house. We have guy who can re-wire anything. We just tore out a huge walk in shower and re-did all of the tiling. We recently re-sealed and resurfaced the roof of our villa. We can get high quality painters.

I certainly would agree, especially from what I have read, that there are people who are terrible and some scammers and even some American scammers. But to say that the guys who can't speak English don't know what they are doing....:) eek we're in Mexico. There are killer workers here all over for everything from construction to refurbishing furniture to working on cars. I mean really excellent workers.

I am not arguing aboout Mario. He is great. I was just pointing out that I felt it wrong to say that there were not others who can do just as well. As far as leaving the names..............that's what the wife does for a living and it took years to put these guys together.

Cozumel Diving

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

I don't believe I intimated that someone had to speak English to be a good technico, Mike. But to be specific, I have never worked with an ex pat worker or contractor -- all Mexican nationals. A goodly percentage of those I've worked with were Just Terrible. I'd put it at 50% or higher of good ones to bad ones.

1 great iron worker out of 4, 2 good AC guys out of 3, 3 bad painters out of 4, 4 bad carpenters out of 5, 2 horrible electricians out of 3. 1 good gardener out of 2, um...1 lousy fridge repair man so far. I've had nothing but good luck, however, with masons and tile guys. Now THAT is something they do better than anyone here!

#10 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

I didn't meant to imply that. I don;t want it to sound rude, especially to you, but there are 100,000 of us living here, not counting condos. There are a lot of very nice, state of the art, places, gardens, pools and lighting systems here. They were not all done by one guy. That's all I was getting at. And yeah good workers are hard to find. That is why we charge people to use ours.

That is the thing. There are excellent workers here that work out of there home or some field, with no signs and nobody can find them. An example would be something as simple as gravel. It's needed for a lot of ornamental puposes in gardens. We used to use two places on 65th for years and were never happy with the product. One day sitting on a boat I am bemoaning this fact and the mate directs me to a place by Plaza de Flamingos. Twice the quality for less. Its just you have to really know your way around and I mean like a street dog. Teresa has done property management since before 2000. She has lots of helpers that are dependable and indispensible.

Cozumel Diving

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

I swear nobody on earth works harder than Mexicans. They can be incredible. But Cozumel is kind of a backwater rural place still and it was much more that way when we were building 12 years ago. There weren't even any portable cement mixers or iron scaffolding to be easily had, a rarity. So technical expertise in newer areas has been slow to catch up here as far as I've been able to see.

10 years ago home made Mayan ladders and cement mixed on the ground. 2012 I was able to get a fancy electronic garage door installed. Who woulda thunk!

Anyway, Mike, feel free to post Teresa's contact info. I've always been an invent the wheel home contractor myself but that's hard for a lot of people that are new down here -- especially if they have language issues. Sounds like she offers a good service.

#12 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

"There weren't even any portable cement mixers or iron scaffolding to be easily had, a rarity"

Yeah. They built our entire villa slogging one bucket of concrete at a time, even for the roof. No electricity....the tile guy would have to measure the floor area and then take the marble home to cut it. Not one power tool ever used to build the villa.

They did a hell of a job on your new garage and that whole area you refurbished. Looks great!

Cozumel Diving

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

"There weren't even any portable cement mixers or iron scaffolding to be easily had, a rarity"

Yeah. They built our entire villa slogging one bucket of concrete at a time, even for the roof. No electricity....the tile guy would have to measure the floor area and then take the marble home to cut it. Not one power tool ever used to build the villa.

They did a hell of a job on your new garage and that whole area you refurbished. Looks great!

Thanks and man was that crew fast! 3 maestros and 3 ayudantes and it took them only two months to build that huge long wall and the garage structure. They DID use a small cement mixer to speed things up only for the floor and roof of the garage structure. But they handed the buckets up to the roof by hand.

I am seeing these giant cement trucks sometimes now that pour it out of a long tube. But that's still fairly new at least for single home dwelling use. Dino also actually now has some metal frame scaffolding. In the old days I used to take photos of the ladders which were all home made from scrap wood, as I'm sure you remember. They were strong. But they didn't LOOK all that strong

#14 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Yah, I was going to mention Mario but decided I didn't want to sound like a broken record. He actually taught himself English maintaining washing machines and dryers many anos ago. He may well know what the problem is and if he doesn't have time for it, he will at least give you the name of someone who CAN help you.

#15 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Mario is indeed too busy. He only offered a referral that I did not need or want, which is the store that repair appliances, next to Mission restaurant on 30th. I rather buy a new washer than deal with them.(past experiences). This is how much we trust this guy.

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

everybody's experience is different, we have used the same shop a number of times on 30th and have only positive results...thank goodness.

Before you toss the washer, you might want to check with Lisa at the HS. They where looking for a washer and it might be worth it to them to repair it.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#17 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

everybody's experience is different, we have used the same shop a number of times on 30th and have only positive results...thank goodness.

Before you toss the washer, you might want to check with Lisa at the HS. They where looking for a washer and it might be worth it to them to repair it.

#18 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Mission accomplished! Washer being repaired. Thank you all for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users