• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Carey Thanks for getting the ball rolling here - I have been revisiting hoping to see Coz2wonders 2 ingredient onion soup..I am not much of a cook but love recipes w/ less than 5 ingredients;)

Also for anyone else, I will be staying in a house rental for the first time on Coz as we wanted to feel closer to the culture for our 5th trip (The Presidente just did not fit the bill ;) Anyway will be cooking sometimes in the house so any unique recipes with less than 5 ingredients you suggest.. I promise to try and some and offer feedback on how I/it turned out!

Thanks all, we arrive April 4th yippeee!

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

lso for anyone else, I will be staying in a house rental for the first time on Coz as we wanted to feel closer to the culture for our 5th trip (The Presidente just did not fit the bill)

Be very, very careful!

We started out staying at the Presidente and switched to renting houses. We should be closing on a house we're buying (that we previously rented) in 2 days. This addiction is progressive.

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

So you moved from the President to buying a home because it was cheaper? :lol:

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#4 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Too funny....if it was just me I would say you are sooooo right.

However, as it is me and hubby and he has strong opinions on his 2nd amendment rights and enjoys his venison, me thinks I might go hungry in Coz ;)

As he puts it..if I cannot protect myself, I'm not living there...See you in paradise real soon!

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

I totally get that. I can't walk in a straight line in Coz because of the missing weight....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#6 Guest_coz2wonder_*

Guest_coz2wonder_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Spencer and anyone else who might be interested.

I use 4 ingredient now to make the onion soup. It improved the richness of the taste.

Crock Pot Onion Soup

I use about 6 large white onions, sliced thin
I saute them in a heavy frying pan in butter, with either Jugo OR Soy sauce...I use about 1/2 stick butter, and about 1/8th of Jugo or soy sauce.

When the onions are caramelized (not fried)and soft and have taken on a brown color they are ready for the crock pot.

Add two cans of Campbells 'caldo de Res'. I only used the canned broth, not the stuff in the box.
Add two cans of water

Cook for at about 4 hours on high, then turn down to low and let it go for at least another 8-10 hours.

It will be a very deep, rich brown.

#7 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thanks Coz2wonder...ahhh beef broth - had to look that one up was afraid it could only be purchased in Mexico;)

Thanks so much, we loooove onion soup but usually only order it in restaurants.

CVChief...Funny..one of our favorites below...

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it
would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -- The Dalai Lama

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Check in your local market for Campbell's beef broth in the can. It's the same stuff.

When the soup is ready, I put a slice of mozzarella cheese in the BOTTOM of the bowl, but of course you can do it the traditional way which is on top, then browning it.

Other then maybe the Jugo, which you can use Soy you have everything you need.

If you want, I can get some cans of the beef broth and Jugo and ask to have it muled back for you. Now that's a twist.

Gun not included.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hi Coz2 - Thanks but I think soy and beef broth will be fine. However we are coming down April 4th - 14th if you need us to mule something, we only have carry ons but always have extra room as firearms must be left at home;)

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

Check in your local market for Campbell's beef broth in the can. It's the same stuff.

When the soup is ready, I put a slice of mozzarella cheese in the BOTTOM of the bowl, but of course you can do it the traditional way which is on top, then browning it.

Other then maybe the Jugo, which you can use Soy you have everything you need.

If you want, I can get some cans of the beef broth and Jugo and ask to have it muled back for you. Now that's a twist.

Gun not included.

But without the firearm, I guess you would have to use.... a can opener?

I spent better part of an hour at Mosaic place in the the plaza debating gun control with a very nice man from CA while nursing a Pacifica. I don't know that I changed his mind, but I must say it was a polite, intelligent exchange and we left as friends. I only mention as it is so unusual these days to be able to do that.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#11 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Spencer,
I have a super easy, less than 5 ingredient recipe for Avocado Pie. Someone else here may be able to confirm if a couple items are available on the island.
1 - prepared graham cracker crust
2 - avocados
1/2 c - fresh lemon juice
1 (5 oz) can - sweetened condensed milk
1 tub - whipped topping (like Cool Whip)

Blend 1st 4 ingredients until very smooth and creamy.
Pour into crust and chill for atleast a couple hours.
Top with whipped topping before serving.

It is so yummy and easy.

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Can lemon juice can be substituted for real lemons?

I have seen real lemons here twice. Once at Mega and once at AKI.

Pac's something carries the brand REAL LEMON JUICE.

We do have sweeten condensed milk, it is a Nestle brand, and is called La Lechera.

Everything else is available.

Thanks for posting, I have been wanting to make this. :D

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#13 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

So you moved from the President to buying a home because it was cheaper? :lol:

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Actually, we stopped staying there a few years ago when it became so overpriced. We just bought the house to have a place to store our dive gear and clothes so we can travel with carry-on luggage from now on...

I agree that buying a home is not a way to save money. We could rent a nice place as often as we could conceivably go for less than a house costs. On the other hand, if one rents out a house to vacationers, the cost potentially goes way down - years of documentation on the house we're buying show that it essentially pays for itself, plus or minus a couple of hundred bucks per year. That comes with a significant amount of work on the part of the owners, though.

#14 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Can lemon juice can be substituted for real lemons?

I have seen real lemons here twice. Once at Mega and once at AKI.

Pac's something carries the brand REAL LEMON JUICE.

Ack! No! It's awful! The preservatives wreck the taste. If you can find frozen lemon juice (which is hard to locate), it works fine.

We always have limes in the house and never have lemons. Limes are more acidic, so I often substitute lime juice diluted 1:1 or 3:2 with water. This usually works just fine in hollandaise and lots of other recipes that call for lemon.

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

I agree. For me the canned/bottled lemon juice has always tasted kind of off. And here we have all the limes we can handle and then some! I will have to try that water to lime ratio next time lemon is called for. Thanks

Avocado pie looks good too except its not on my boring low glycemic index eating plan. Maybe just one piece when I reach my target weight.

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

I agree. For me the canned/bottled lemon juice has always tasted kind of off. And here we have all the limes we can handle and then some! I will have to try that water to lime ratio next time lemon is called for. Thanks

Avocado pie looks good too except its not on my boring low glycemic index eating plan. Maybe just one piece when I reach my target weight.

Careful, I think one whole piece can induce a diabetic coma. We try to split it at least 4 ways. I am not sure of the avocado pie overdose levels.....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#17 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

Coz2wonder,
I have never tried the bottled lemon juice but agree with everyone that it doesn't taste the same. I have seen a few recipes that do 1/2 lemon and 1/2 lime juice. I have never tried that either but maybe mixing bottled lemon and fresh lime wouldn't be too bad. I don't know.

#18 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

Coz2wonder,
I have never tried the bottled lemon juice but agree with everyone that it doesn't taste the same. I have seen a few recipes that do 1/2 lemon and 1/2 lime juice. I have never tried that either but maybe mixing bottled lemon and fresh lime wouldn't be too bad. I don't know.

Awesome, my son and I love avocadoes, I will be making that when I get there next week. It will be snowing this weekend here in CT so I think the hot onion soup recipe will be my first to try here at home.

I am really surprised about the lemon "shortage" WOW I would think in the Coz climate you could grow your own lemon tree....

#19 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

But without the firearm, I guess you would have to use.... a can opener?

I spent better part of an hour at Mosaic place in the the plaza debating gun control with a very nice man from CA while nursing a Pacifica. I don't know that I changed his mind, but I must say it was a polite, intelligent exchange and we left as friends. I only mention as it is so unusual these days to be able to do that.

Hey CV Chief, that must have been great....we are originally from the mountains of Virginia and moved to Connecticut 10 years ago...talk about a different state of mind in regards to guns...geez you would think we were the bad guys.

#20 Guest_broylance_*

Guest_broylance_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Spencer,
I don't know the rules on fruit through security but maybe you could pack a couple lemons. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users