• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Voldens

Voldens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

My husband is a diver and we noticed what seemed to be rescue helicoptors fly over our resort yesterday(around 1pm). Rumor has is that a diver was missing. We continued to see that same helicopter searching back and forth yesterday, until sunset.

Does anyone know the fate of that diver?

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

There is a 72 hour search going on for the American diver Cristina Cassin, 49. She arrived in the island at 07:30 of Wednesday morning aboard the Celebrity Equinox cruise that docked at the port terminal SSA Mexico.

It was reported that she was diving with Sand Dollar Sports on Santa Rosa reef.
http://www.poresto.n...idTitulo=156973

Perhaps Mike has an update.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

I don't know anything except that the currents were going so crazy, that I was surprised to see people at the wall at Santa Rosa.

This is the time of the year for bizarre current patterns. Currents going South instead of North. Currents changing directions in the middle of a dive. Sometimes whirlpools, especially near Santa Rosa (which is why I can never understand people snorkeling at the wall). Be careful out there.

Cozumel Diving

#4 Voldens

Voldens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Oh this is heartbreaking.
My husband was out diving with Sand Dollar on a different boat and he said the currents were the weirdest he's ever seen. He was thrown by a whirlpool. Everyone on his boat was safe and sound and they continued on to their second dive, which from all accounts was amazing.

He has dove exclusively with Sand Dollar for over 12 years. I pray they find her.

#5 kentmorrdave

kentmorrdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

having dove every day from March 19-27, I can say it is not suprising someone had difficulty. I aborted a dive after 12 minutes on Palancar last week after fighting the current which was moving towards the blue instead of north or south. I have dove Barracuda and every other reach in Coz and that was the first time I ever aborted. Out of 8 days diving, we had 4 good days and 4 crappy viz/current days

#6 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Eeek - Prayers sent for them to find her.

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

That article said the currents could take a diver 200 meters a minute - 7.5 mph currents? Holy cr*p
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#8 Shigdon

Shigdon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

My mother still hasn't been found. My stepfather is trying to work with the Navy and Port Authority to cover as much water as possible while the sun is still out. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

#9 Voldens

Voldens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Don,
I am so sorry. We will continue to pray for your mom and your family.

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Shigdon, please tell us how we can help.

There are many of us on this forum who live here, and are more then willing to assist.

Our thoughts are with you, and your family

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 Shigdon

Shigdon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

To be honest, I don't know. My stepfather is there, and I am getting all my information second hand. Thank you again for your concern. I am trying my hardest just to get updates like everyone else.

#12 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

any new news? shigdon, your mother is in the prayers of many here.
i have a friend here who is an instructor and had 2 people lost on his dive a few days ago due to the currents. they too were on or near santa rosa. fortunately, the 2 folks were expert divers, found a little cave to hang out, and showed up 10 minutes later.
ditto mike's words.... be careful and enjoy the shallow reefs this time of year.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#13 Hooked on Coz

Hooked on Coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Sky Diving, Riding my Fatboy

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

Our hearts and prayers are with you and your family.

#14 Shigdon

Shigdon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

No news. The official search is ending tomorrow at 10:00. Thank you all for your concern.

-Steve

#15 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

So sorry...

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#16 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

Are there any updates?

#17 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

Last I heard, search would have gone 'passive' Saturday morning.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#18 phardy

phardy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

I, MY WIFE AND I WAS IN COZUMEL LAST MARCH BETWEEN 24TH TILL 31ST MARCH, SHE WAS DIVING ON MARCH 28TH MORNING WITH TWO OF MY FRIEND, THE CURRENT PULL HER DOWN IN SECOND,SHE INFLATE HER VEST TO BE EJECT ON THE WATER, SHE REALLY GOTT SCARED BUT VERY HAPPY TO BE STILL ALIVE, THEN ANOTHER COUPLE POP OUT OF THE WATER, THEY GOT SCARED TOO.AFTER BEING ON THE BOAT THEY HEARD A LADY CRYING FOR HELP, THEY PULL HER OUT OF THE WATER ,THEY GAVE HER OXYGEN AND SHE WAS TRANSFER TO COZUMEL HOSPITAL, THE LAST THING WE HEARD FROM PALANCAR FACILITIES SHE PAST AWAY DURING THE NIGHT, OUR TOUGHT GOES TO THE FAMILY HER NAME IS LAUREN ??? MY PRAYER GOES TO HER FAMILY AND FRIEND IF ANYBODY KNOWS THEM MY WIFE THAT HELPED THE LADY WOULD LIKE TO SEND HER REGARDS TO THEM, THEY ARE FROM COLORADO

PIERRE HARDY
FROM MONTREAL CANADA

#19 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

What? Are you talking about last March as in 2011?? Or are you talking about the current situation with the lady that was lost last week in 2012?

:confused:

#20 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

There was talk of a second older lady in the same time frame. I don't know facts.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users