• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Man, this really sucks. I feel so bad about the lost divers and their families dealing with the loss.

I have been thinking about this for a while now... That i am not going to do any future dives without carrying a safety sausage... I think if any of these lost divers had one at the surface, they would have easily been found. Or is that a false sense of security on my part?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought back when i started diving in CZ, the normal protocol was to have a DM leading the group and a DM bringing up the tail to make sure the group stayed together... Anyone recall this?

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#22 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

Well, I don't know that anyone can say that the lost diver actually surfaced. It seems unlikely it was an SMB issue.

The second was rumored to have been taken to shore, but again I don't know that one to be true.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#23 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Unless its a larger group of more than 6 -8 guests on a boat, I believe only one divemaster and one boat captain?...carrying a safety sausage in my opinion SHOULD be a required part of your diving gear, also a whistle on your BCD...My husband and I have both these items on our BCD's and although I hate all the stuff hanging like a Christmas tree, I did have the occasion to use my safety sausage when a buddy I was diving with needed to go up early because of an equipment issue. We signaled the divemaster and he watched us get to the surface before carrying on with the rest of the experienced divers. Our boat was close by and picked us up very quickly, but there were other boats in the same area that I know would have picked us up if our boat wasn;t there. Get to know your dive boat, the name of your captain and the name of the boat in case they have to radio your boat to come and get you. All common sense things to remember.
Very sad about this new diver who got lost in such strong currents on that day last week. It really puts a bad ending to a nice cruise vacation plans. Our thoughts are with the family.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#24 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

I am going to start a new thread so we don’t get too far off topic, thanks Salisgirl.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#25 phardy

phardy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

What? Are you talking about last March as in 2011?? Or are you talking about the current situation with the lady that was lost last week in 2012?

:confused:

Yes last march 2012 , we are back home and she is still having in memory the moment spent with the lady reconforting her waiting for her husband to be close to her, hopefully we will hear from him.
So sad for That gentleman and his family
Again our thought goes to them and Steve family
Sincerly Pierre and Maryse Hardy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users