18 replies to this topic

#1 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Our mask cases got totally crushed in our checkin bags during our last couple trips. Is there a place on the island to purchase new cases? Or does anyone have a crushproof solution?

Thanks!

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Our mask cases got totally crushed in our checkin bags during our last couple trips. Is there a place on the island to purchase new cases? Or does anyone have a crushproof solution?

Thanks!

don't know about mask cases but have you thought of rolling them up in bubble wrap and taping them? That way homeland security can see what it is without unpacking it and if they toss the mask carelessly back in before zipping up your suitcase, the mask will still be protected. This solution also has the added benefit of being very light.

If you're on the island now, the Pak Mail place on Avenida 10 between Calle 1 and Juarez, east side of the street, carries bubble wrap that they sell by the yard from a giant roll. I've used it to protect liquor and glassware when I travel.

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

Not a bad idea, Carey! I usually wrap stuff in clothes and plastic bags. Strangely, our liquor bottles have always survived. Our mask cases are hard plastic, and had the masks not been in them, they'd have been smushed too, so am looking for hard plastic replacement cases.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

check at Wal-Mart in the kitchen isle. I would look for something that is 'Tupperware' like that your face mask would fit in.

The one I have is Sterilite, ultra seal and holds 2 qts. A mask would fit easily in it, and it is pretty thick, and sturdy.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

Good idea, Paula!

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

If you're on the island, we've bought plastic food containers at the larger grocery stores to bring back fragile items. I'm positive that Chedraui or Mega, or possibly San Francisco or Soriana, would have something that would work. Bodega Aurrera might, too, but I don't recall seeing as much of that kind of stuff there. It's quite possible that the large dive stores (such as ProDive) would have an actual dedicated mask box, but you're going to pay for it. It depends on how much shopping you're willing to do.

If you're not on the island and don't have a dive shop handy, Leisure Pro has a mask box for 8 bucks.

We never put any important dive gear in check-through, so our masks are always with us. I actually don't put mine in a mask box anyway. Numerous trips back and forth in carry-on, and it's still fine.

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

The problem I've found with packing fragile things in openable cases is that US security opens them and half the time they just toss the item back in. If you're lucky its in the container but maybe they don't shut it tightly. If it's something you care about, I wouldn't pack them like that. Not to mention the weight and room it takes up. I'd go with bubble wrap done in such a way that they can see what you have and don't care about opening it.

#8 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

Heh. Just got some travel fins from from LeisurePro, free shipping. Wish I'd thought about asking about the mask cases!

Will place an order, and definitely wrap them in bubble wrap!

Thanks, guys!

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

You know I bought the mask bags from leisurepro. Rather than a case, this are small padded bags the size of a mask. They even have a nice pouch for some defog and your snorkel will fit across the tops. They pad the mask to protect it, but it has air and drain holes to ventilate the mask. Smaller to back and you don't get 'stinky mask' from it or a slap strap being damp and sealed in a box. I love 'em.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#10 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

Since our checkin suitcases are now 80% duct tape after being run over numerous times by tanks or whatever the screeners use, I think we will put masks in our carryons. Got bubblewrap.

Will check out the padded cases rec'd by CVChief.

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

Our mask bags These are the ones we got. The wife who hates change, like them. They even come with some of that Sea Gold antifog. I forgot our Spit one day and used some sea gold. Might even be a better defog.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

That's a good deal, Chief. Sea Gold runs $10 on the island just by itself. Thanks!

#13 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

I use my shoes as storage also...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#14 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

I use my shoes as storage also...

That's a good way to get Athlete's face.... :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

I used to pack things in shoes, wrap in clothing and on and on. But starting about five years ago, US airport security really seemed to get into clawing through suitcases and they seldom put the stuff back in your shoes or clothing. I brought down a George Forman Grill wrapped up in clothes and it arrived loose and with the lid badly cracked. Still useable but looked horrible. That's why I now tape anything fragile in bubble wrap before packing it. Travel ain't what it used to be.

#16 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hmmmm good to know... I ended up losing my norelco one year thanks to the TSA

and Chief - :P yourself haha
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#17 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

Our mask bags These are the ones we got. The wife who hates change, like them. They even come with some of that Sea Gold antifog. I forgot our Spit one day and used some sea gold. Might even be a better defog.

Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered and received mine a couple days ago.
Cindy

#18 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

We just got ours too. Very well made, and the Sea Gold was a nice bonus!

#19 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

Glad you like 'em. I was so sick of those boxes in the gear bag. Digging trying to match the tops and bottoms and I swear just traveling back from Caleta they got a little stinky. You know I also wonder if the sea gold is even a little better than Spit (the bottle kind, not au natural).

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users