Where to Buy Rustoleum Brand Paint

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:34 AM

Does anyone know who might sell Rustoleum brand spray paint? I have a small project that I need to paint and my experience has been this brand works best at preventing rust.

Do they also sell the "rusty metal primer"?

All I need is basic "flat black". if there are other brands you have had good experiences with, that works as well.

Thanks.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

Comex is pretty widely recognized here as making the longest-lasting paint and they are just a tad cheaper than Sherwin Williams. I haven't seen the Rustoleum brand except at the now-defunct Ace Hardware but I have used many, many a can of metal primer for good or not so good. (Hard to say as things rust so fast here.) Haven't seen primer that dissolves rust if that's what you're talking about. The paint stores all sell sand paper in various grades to address that issue.

Your best bet to see what's available is to park on Avenida 30 between Calle 1 and Morelos (Las Seras tacqueria is right there at the Morelos intersection). There's a big Comex on the west side of the street between Morelos and 3 on 30 and the Sherwin Williams is one block north on the corner of Calle 1, also west side of the street.

If you don't see what you want out on the shelves, ask for primer para metal (pronounced PREE-mer pah-ra may-TALL) espray (es-SPRAY). Cans should say anti-corrosivo also, by the way just to double check. (AH-tee coh-ROW-see-voh)

#3 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

Jim's Hardware and Paint Supply Store is closed right now or I would be glad to sell you a couple of cans.I brought some down. I would try Excito. I have bought spray paint there before and they may have primer but I don't every remember seeing the Rustoleum brand. We were in Mega a few weeks ago I went down the paint isle. There were a large assortment of spray paints there as well. But there again I am pretty sure it was a Mexican brand.

As Carey said Comex and Sherwin Williams are two good places to try. I stopped at Comex and bought five gallons of latex for repainting the outside of our house and a quart of oil base for painting the banisters in the stairwell a few weeks ago. Wasn't really looking for spray paint.

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

Yah, Exito (pronounced EGGZ-ee-toe) on 35 with Calle 6 is another good place to try. They sometimes have stuff the other stores don't carry. Like silicon spray, for example. None of the ferraterias are big into painting products however and I doubt they'll carry US brands. A trip to costco or Sam's Club on the mainland might yield results. Or might not and you've wasted your money on a bum trip. Ah, island life.

#5 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

Thank you for the locations.

I've done the stick the paint in the bag trick a few times. I was hoping it would be easier to get it on the island.

I have several cans of Rustoleum there, just none in basic black. Looks like a bag drag item.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

you can't bring aerosol cans in, can you? Homeland security will get 'em. Every bag I've brought in or out of the country in the past two years has had the homeland security inspection notice in it.

#7 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

Try Home Depot in Cancun.
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#8 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:21 PM

Sorry don't mean to be a wise guy but the states will be your best bet. All I can find here is mx brands have never seen rustoleum. I have seen the red oxide primer at Comex. They seem to have the best selection of spray paint around.
Good luck B)
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

At Ched's this morning, they had ONE CAN of FAM brand black spray paint. The can states it is anti-corrosivo.

Paint section, top shelve.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:05 AM

anti-corrosivo metal primer is available everywhere. Possibly the paint stores' most popular product given our salty humid air environs. I always buy the highest end primer I can get my hands on and the Ched doesn't carry it. Nor does Pintura Martinez. Although Martinez is the best place to buy linseed oil (aciete de linaza) by the quart and sometimes good turpentine instead of the hellish chemical know as locally by its English name but with the Spanish pronounciation of 'THEE-ner'

#11 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

When it comes to paint thinner if you go to comex and ask for American paint thinner it is a different chemical than the "hellish " thinner you mentioned. :angry:
It is closer to what I would have used in the states,stronger and faster drying.
How about acetone (a type of thinner ) anyone seen that here?
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#12 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

sherwin williams has a new thing...it's called acrilic esmalte, or basically a water soluable "oil" like paint. it is supposed to be excellent for bathrooms and kitchens, as well as (as it says on the lable) being perfect for metal surfaces.
i bought some and used it on my gates. got white and the navy blue. rust spots showing right thru. we even did a primer with 3 or 4 coats. so not so good IMHO for that application. gonna have to do a do over with the regular stuff.

however, for my hurricane protection plywood, i painted them with this stuff and the great thing is that it dries very fast, no fumes or odor, and the brushes wash off with soap and water, as do your hands. 2 coats was more than enough and it can be diluted with up to 10% water.

so if you go to sherwin williams, i would avoid the acrilic esmalte for OUTDOOR metal projects.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users