• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

If you plan to fly to Cozumel this summer... better get to booking, airfare is rising. I have been procrastinating on purchasing a flight (trying to iron out my summer plans and such first) and everytime I check, flights are going up up up in price. I'm sure it's across the board with any destination. Anyhoo, just wanted to offer a gentle prod for anyone considering a trip to paradise. It's worth every penny to be on the island, but... why not save a few if you can.

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:22 PM

I have always used Cheaptickets.com and it works for me.

My friend just booked yesterday for a flight down at the end of May and it was only $450 with tax.

Her friend only wants to come a week, and it was $327 with tax.

Seems to me to be pretty cheap prices.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

Yes I have been seeing the same thing. Normally the rates start coming down this time of year, but they are continuing to rise. I could have booked a month ago and saved about $300.00 bucks...darnit!

#4 lsr3

lsr3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

My wife and I are coming down on June 1st. We booked on March 3rd and got great flights.
Some friends decided last night that they wanted to join us and in booking today we found the cost has doubled.
Hotel rates are the same, the increase is strictly airfare.
We checked Travelocity, Expedia, Bookit and Cheap tickets, fares seem to be sky rocketing.

#5 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

It seems to me that people living near major airports get the benefits of the $300-$450 range RT to Cozumel. For the remainder of us that live in the boonies and have to leave from small airports... those lower price ranges for flights are just not possible. I guess there is some advantage to living in or near larger cities perhaps. I live in the midwest.. it's far from everything.

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:43 PM

Artgirl, I so agree. As midwesterners, we too pay exorbitant prices for not living near anything. Oh to pay $350-$450 to get to Paradise...

#7 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:24 PM

The Peso is rising against the dollar ya know, about 12 to 1 instead of the 13 to 1 last year. Might want to keep that in mind folks.
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:02 PM

As of today, the Mega grocery store is giving 12.30 pesos to the dollar, down from the 12.50 pesos to the dollar they've had posted for at least 6 months. And their rates are not going to be quite as favorable as you are likely to get changing dollars to pesos via an ATM bank machine depending on how much your bank charges you for out of country ATM withdrawals.

#9 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, airfare keeps going up...don't wait....book now. Tuesdays seem to give better prices sometimes....as does the middle of the night.
I use Kayak to give me a daily price...it's increasing daily now but was staying the same all thru Feb. and March.
We live 400 miles Dallas and 400 miles from Austin. We drive to either place and stay a night with friends before flying out the next day.

#10 Pjhomes

Pjhomes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

if anyone catches a RT, 7 days, to Cozumel lvg, Dallas, Austin, or Houston, under $300...................let me know immediately. Can't find anything reasonable and don't stay online that much. Crying to come back soon.......... Pjhomes@cableone.net

#11 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

pjhomes...I've been looking for the same thing for a long time and have been told it's not going to happen...at least not this year.
I think them under $300. daze are gone.
good luck.
best wishes.

#12 Nelda H

Nelda H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:11 PM

Just booked on American from CZM to St. Louis..........$109 each way. My lucky day!

#13 diverN2H2O

diverN2H2O

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

NeldaH,
When and what flight #'s did you find such a great rate, we fly from St Louis and have not been able to find anything decent.
AA flights seem to be some of the highest I've ever seen, have flown them for years to Coz.
Best I've found now has been Contenintal $304 R/T

#14 Nelda H

Nelda H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:08 PM

I have always found the AA website to be my best source. I check the feature that shows schedule and prices. Since I live in Cozumel, my schedule is very flexible and that seems to work.

Your price seems very good also. Enjoy your trip.

#15 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

Nelda that's awesome, I would probably be willing to do the 4 hour drive and leave my car at the airport for that price. Can you tell me if the $109 includes tax? What was the total price for you?

#16 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

Yes AA seems better at the moment. I just booked CZM to Waco TX, hold there for a week, then to Atlanta and return to CZM. My Grson is going one way with me as a lapchild so was 10% plus tax. Total was $523..not bad considering that the flt rd trip from Atlanta to Waco had I chose that was over $400 alone.

#17 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

We have been watching Delta for next February and found today that it is over $200 lower per person than what it has been.

#18 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

I was checking this weekend for flights from Chicago to Coz for February 1-March 1,2011, and we got $368 including taxes pp. That was on American.
I didn't book, but probably should have. Will keep checking, and if we see increases, we will book right away!
A direct flight on United was $1270 pp! We have done that in the past for $540 pp. I love those direct, non-stop flights!

Jennifer

#19 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:15 PM

I do think large city departure points, like Chicago, are significantly less costly than smaller airport departures. I'm glad people are finding some good fares.. it gives hope that maybe they will drop before summer vacation time kicks in. Cost with everything seems to be creeping up... AGAIN!

#20 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:23 AM

Airlines are also added additional fees, such as Spirit Air who is now charging for carry-on bags. What next, pay toilets?

I'm not kidding about the pay toilets. Europe's Ryanair is planning just that.
http://www.thestar.c...-excess-baggage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users