price of airfare

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

I like the guy who said he would bring his own plasitic bag and let the airline dispose of it.

#22 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

yep, American Airlines increased its checked baggage fee twice in the past year. Used to be $15 first, $20 second. Now $25 first, $35 second! That can add significantly to your roundtrip price if you're checking in dive gear, camera equipment, etc.

I typically wait until about 3-4 weeks out to book Coz trips, and have always gotten the better deal that way, but this time, with the economy showing signs of rebounding, and all those folks who were scared away from last year's trip by swine flu (not this kid! made two trips!) returning this year, I think prices are being driven up by increased demand. Booked back in February for our late May trip (2 ppl, hotel & air) for $1271. Just checked today, and it's now going for $1850.

#23 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

Mexico is an International fare for AA. I am booked and I get my 2 checked bags for free.

#24 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:19 AM

Mexico is an International fare for AA. I am booked and I get my 2 checked bags for free.

Wait, so how's that work? International fares don't pay baggage fees? I'll have to check their website.

#25 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

Some do, but Mexico still gets 2 check ins. What really suprised me was that they gave me the free baggage all the way. I am on a 3 leg flight...Flying to TX where I will spend 6 days and then on to Atlanta and then back to Cozumel from Atlanta. Last year I did the same basic thing in reverse on Continental and I had to pay for my bags on the Atl to Tx portion because I was staying there for a few days. You really have to check with each airline, and even then they sometimes give you the wrong information. LOL

#26 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

We used to drive three hours and stay overnight in Chicago when there were direct non-stop flights into Cozumel. Then those disappeared, and we had to take AA thru DFW. United added the non-stop but it was pricey. For the extra dollars, we decided it would be better to leave from our hometown and not have the drive and overnight stay. This got even better when Delta and NWA merged giving us the Atlanta option. When I first started checking last month it got as high as $866 per person. Today it is $577, taxes included. This is about what we paid in February. We incurred no baggage fees on those flights.

#27 kentmorrdave

kentmorrdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:05 PM

Just booked a rt for 2 from bwi, room at VB w/ breakfast, $ 710 for both, with the entertain200 from orbitz, for November 9. That is a little cheaper than last November.

#28 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

Dave, bring a couple dozen of those crabcakes to the airport, you can trade them for an upgrade to 1st class. YUMMY

#29 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:32 AM

Finally found a decent deal from DFW to Coz. Not as good a deal as in the past, but much better than I have been seeing. I was trying to stay from Saturday to Saturday and it was running around $2800 for air and hotel(playa azul) which is our favorite place to stay by far. I changed from Monday thru Friday which is three days less, but it cut the cost almost in half $1,474 and the flights are direct and at better times of the day than the weekend deals. I would love to have stayed longer, but the cost savings were to great. I can go back again later for the savings. I found this deal on Expedia and the flights are through FunJet. When I checked directly with FunJet, the price was about $250 higher. Does'nt make sense. I looked again this morning and the price had actually dropped by around $25 bucks.

Sam

#30 DaveSI

DaveSI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

We just paid $454 RT from NYC (Newark) for the week before Thanksgiving. Not a stellar deal, but not a beating, either.

#31 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

If you can change the dates from Saturday to Saturday, we always fly during the week, Tuesday, Wed or Thursday as the prices can be almost half of the weekend routes. Great connections and these are from Canada to Cozumel or Cancun via Houston on Continental.
Westjet are offering direct oneway flights from Vancouver or Calgary to Cancun (5.5 hour flight)
for just under $250 US$ a great deal in our opinion. check all carriers. Expedia, Cheap tickets, Orbitz etc. and post flexible dates, the prices can be a real deal.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#32 nascarcharchar

nascarcharchar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Nascar, Golf, PBR Bullriding (Not Myself, just on TV), Cooking

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:43 PM

Everyone had better check on the AA website about the 2 bag rule on international to Mexico. I am reading the new rule as, if the ticket was bought before May, which thank goodness mine was, you get 2 bags per person free. If the ticket was bought after May you only get one bag per person free. That is the way I read it.

#33 sailboat47

sailboat47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

On 6/9/10 I was able to book thru Orbitz :Mpls. to Coz.for 2 people round trip airfare with 1 stop in Dallas each way, 17 nights at Playa Azul from 2/2/11-2/19/11 for $3116.93. I checked today and they quoted $4222.00 for the exact same trip. I had heard that their are days of the week that are better for booking. Must be Tuesdays for Orbitz.

#34 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:37 PM

If I could find airfare for 300 I would leave in the morning. NC prices suck

#35 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

I haven't looked this morning, but Continental's flights from Houston to Coz dropped by more than half. We had been looking at a fare of over $800 in December, but it dropped to $361 including taxes. We jumped on it fast!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#36 nich3cats

nich3cats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

i like to plan ahead so just booked round trip Los Angeles to Cozumel $888 for two tickets on US Air for next April. Sounded like a good deal to me.

#37 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:44 PM

Always check with the airline directly about baggage fees. Online, AeroMexico had the 1st bag free and the second at $15. I called about my seat assignment and they said $40 for the second bag. Then when I got to the airport there was a weight limit on the carry-on. Surprise! Trying to avoid the $80 RT 2nd bag fee, I had a fairly heavy carry-on with my computer and my new dive reg on me. Had to do some shuffling around right there at the counter and cross my fingers nothing would get stolen out of the checked bag. Nothing was. With the hike in baggage fees I'm not surprised they are starting to look at carry-on weight, but sheesh... United has no weight limit on the carry-on. Airlines seem to be more generous with international than domestic flights and bag fees. They are all different and it pays to know what is what.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users