Shipping From Philadelphia Pa To Coz

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 J belle

J belle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Family, gardening, swimming, snorkeling, being on the ocean any way possible

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Does anyone have any advice on shipping from Philadelphia to Coz? Philly is a big freight port city so it seems like we should be able to go direct port to port, if not to Coz to another nearby Riviera Maya port. Most of the info I've read is either about movers who drive from Texas area, or shipping out of port in Miami. I've tried researching Philly services specifically but haven't found anything all that helpful yet. Any advice from anyone who knows about this area? Thanks.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Does anyone have any advice on shipping from Philadelphia to Coz? Philly is a big freight port city so it seems like we should be able to go direct port to port, if not to Coz to another nearby Riviera Maya port. Most of the info I've read is either about movers who drive from Texas area, or shipping out of port in Miami. I've tried researching Philly services specifically but haven't found anything all that helpful yet. Any advice from anyone who knows about this area? Thanks.

I'd call the Phillie port authority, find the right person and ask if any ship's sail to the east coast of Mexico. The big ports international ship's come into in this part of the world are Cancun and Progresso. Cancun, obviously, is more convenient if you're trying to get your stuff to Cozumel.

If you have a huge load of stuff you'd be shipping to the mainland, you'll then have to figure out how to get it picked up from customs, trundled down the coast somehow and then brought across on the vehicle ferry.

Let us know if you figure out how to ship to the Yucatan or Q. Roo and then maybe someone can give you some leads on a contractor to help you get your stuff the rest of the way after it clears customs.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Before I found Marcos, I contacted many International Shippers for the type of International shipping services they provide.

Hyde is the only ocean going International shipper that I am aware of who delivers to the Yucatan.

You would need to hire an International shipper in Philly to prep the goods for shipment to Hyde, then have them transport to Hyde.

Or you could do the prep work yourself, via Hydes policies, and hire a local shipper to deliver to Hyde.
http://www.hydeshipp...ault.asp?p=home

We used Hyde once to deliver a generator. We where responsible to hire a broker in Puerto Morelos to clear customs. Once customs was cleared, we had to hire a UNION truck to deliver it...they wanted 1,000 usd's to deliver to Cozumel. So we took a Union driver from Cozumel to pick it up...we did have to pay at the gate to ENTER, but it saved us 500 usd's by doing so.

Many of us hired Marcos. He comes to your home, packs up if you want, completes the inventory, and documentations and clears customs in Laredo, Tx and hits the trail for Cozumel.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hi Coz2Wonder gave some good contact info including Strom movers.
I also plan on getting in contact with Marcos.
I need to ship some of my furniture here from the D.C. area. Let me know if you might have any interest in sharing a container. I am looking at several options right now. Am still deliberating over whether or not to bring my car (4x4) here.

#5 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

wow paula they tried to screw you big time. since i import all the time, pto morelos to playa del carmen deliveries (up to a truck load of stuff) costs 1400 pesos, can be 1 box or 50, so a generator would be included in this price range. usually if a company is willing to bring it to cozumel from pto morelos or from cancun, will charge around 4500 pesos. $1000usd sounds like they were giving you an absurd gringo rate. sorry that happened to you.

btw, rules for getting your stuff via air (amerijet miami to cancun) are very diff than by hyde shipping (pto morelos) if you personally want to pick it up.
cancun airport, air cargo: you can hire someone to take your stuff to playa or to calica (negotiations) for around 1400 pesos. if you go yourself and do not have a car, you can rent a car in playa, drive to the airport, bring car back and hire triciclos, pay 10 pesos per box to go on the ferry, and 10 to get off the ferry, and a cargo fee of around 100 pesos in general. then triciclo to your final destination in cozumel. a lot cheaper than 4500 pesos, but a royal pain in the bootie. if you cross with a car or truck, that is fine too. NOTHING, and i mean nothing can be in the car when you go the aduana.
pto morelos: you need to hire the driver to get the stuff out of pto morelos to playa or calica, or cross the ferry with your OWN car. you can not borrow a car nor rent one and pick up your stuff. also, if hyde shipping or your forwarder packs your boxes and labels it as a pallet of boxes, the PALLET must be able to be placed in the vehicle, hence, must be a truck. last week i had a pallet. i have an suv, and they told me to tell hyde shipping, for future freight, to ship them as loose boxes. doing so will allow me to pick up my stuff personally. like cancun, NOTHING can be in your vehicle. they even told me to remove the tools for emergency to enter.
pto morelos is faster and little cheaper than cancun.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

Those are lessons that you learn the hard way.

That's why this site is so valuable.

Everybody shares the news, and how to survive moving forward. That way others do not have to repeat some of the errors we may have made in the past.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 J belle

J belle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Family, gardening, swimming, snorkeling, being on the ocean any way possible

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

wow paula they tried to screw you big time. since i import all the time, pto morelos to playa del carmen deliveries (up to a truck load of stuff) costs 1400 pesos, can be 1 box or 50, so a generator would be included in this price range. usually if a company is willing to bring it to cozumel from pto morelos or from cancun, will charge around 4500 pesos. $1000usd sounds like they were giving you an absurd gringo rate. sorry that happened to you.

btw, rules for getting your stuff via air (amerijet miami to cancun) are very diff than by hyde shipping (pto morelos) if you personally want to pick it up.
cancun airport, air cargo: you can hire someone to take your stuff to playa or to calica (negotiations) for around 1400 pesos. if you go yourself and do not have a car, you can rent a car in playa, drive to the airport, bring car back and hire triciclos, pay 10 pesos per box to go on the ferry, and 10 to get off the ferry, and a cargo fee of around 100 pesos in general. then triciclo to your final destination in cozumel. a lot cheaper than 4500 pesos, but a royal pain in the bootie. if you cross with a car or truck, that is fine too. NOTHING, and i mean nothing can be in the car when you go the aduana.
pto morelos: you need to hire the driver to get the stuff out of pto morelos to playa or calica, or cross the ferry with your OWN car. you can not borrow a car nor rent one and pick up your stuff. also, if hyde shipping or your forwarder packs your boxes and labels it as a pallet of boxes, the PALLET must be able to be placed in the vehicle, hence, must be a truck. last week i had a pallet. i have an suv, and they told me to tell hyde shipping, for future freight, to ship them as loose boxes. doing so will allow me to pick up my stuff personally. like cancun, NOTHING can be in your vehicle. they even told me to remove the tools for emergency to enter.
pto morelos is faster and little cheaper than cancun.

#8 J belle

J belle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

So if I am understanding all this, it sounds like I should arrange container shipping out of Philly to connect to Hyde freight out of Florida, then it sails into either Cancun or Moreles. Then I hire union truck to transport down coast to Playa then across on car ferry to Coz. We're not bringing vehicle so sounds like We would need to do union truck. Furniture is involved so we would have to do union truck anyway I think.

As far as recommendation about Marcos, I didn't quite understand that. Would the recommendation be to fly him here to Philly then somehow he arranges stuff to get to Texas then drives it from there? I think maybe I missed something there. That doesn't seem practical from US east coast. What was reference to Strom movers.

J CozDiver, thanks for kind offer to look into shared container. But I think we may be kind ofva ways out from doing this so it would probably be too long for you to wait.

Please excuse if I am not using reply function properly. I try to reply to entire stream of comments and somehow always seem to attach to just one. Will attempt to get more efficient.

Thanks all.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

In regards to Marcos. He drives to your location with his truck, completes the paperwork, loads up, then drives it to Laredo, clears customs then drives to Cozumel.

When I did this, we hired Marcos to drive to Northern California, pick up our goods, do all the documentation, re-packing, and deliver it to Cozumel. I had 8,000 lbs of furniture and it cost me about 7,700 usd's.

If you look through the treads on 'I want to Move to Cozumel' there is lots of information about how to go about importing your goods.

When I started my search, I first contacted international shippers which included, United, Global, American Van lines. The more information I collected, the better able I was in finding someone like Marcos who was able to complete the transaction at reasonable cost.

As to Strom, in my search for shipping companies, I came across Strom. They where great at providing me with a guide to shipping into Mexico, plus it included all types of forms I could use.

Strom is was only available for shipping to the West cost of Mexico when I did my move. You may want to contact them, and see if anything has changed.

not sure if you read through the post I made a while ago about my experience, but here is the link to it, which may help to clarify what I did, and what I learned. http://www.cozumelmy...hp?showtopic=32

Hope that helps.

Anonymous

#10 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

if anyone knows the scoop on bringing your furniture down, it is coz2wonder. she did her research and had success with her big move.
i have the scoop for importing boxes and merchandise.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#11 J belle

J belle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

Thanks everyone for all the information. Now I have somewhere to start looking when the time comes. The info on Marco is kind of astonishing to me - from Philly to Playa is more than 3000miles so that would be a 6000+ round trip! But I will probably contact him as well as shipping companies when we get to that point. Thanks all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users