• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

This link is to a 16 page .pdf document on Public Transportation in Cozumel... in English. It has info on Ferries, Airlines, Plan Local cards and - the gold mine for me - bus & collectivo maps. Lately I've been staying in town on 10th in the North and love, love, love that I can walk where I want or take a bus if I'm hot, tired, late, carrying packages or dive gear. I've had several aventuras finding friend's houses back in the hood via the bus system and have longed for a route map.... TA-DA!!!

On my aventuras I stand on a corner and flag down a bus or collectivo on 15th going South to Chedraui and get off (all routes begin and end at Chedraui). There I ask the men in charge which Bus# to take to my destination. They are always very polite and spot on with their info. Then in my bad Spanish I ask locals on the bus where to get off, if it's not evident. Many of the nice people of Cozumel love helping and it's always worked out. Now with the maps I will know more about where I'm going and how to get there - and back.

So far no busses to the beaches in the North or South... maybe someday. For that I take a cab or go with friends.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#2 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

That appears on our computer to be a locked site and will not let us print it out. Any ideas? It is an excellent source of info as our option was going to be hop on a bus and see where it goes. We will have time to do this but your way is much better.

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Ask and you shall receive. Try this for a printable

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#4 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Thank you, Thank you very much. That worked

#5 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

I had no idea this .pdf doc wouldn't print as I was able to print it out at home using a Linux/Ubuntu/Gnome OS... it downloaded to a generic doc reader and just printed. Since it was a .pdf I figured Abobe Acrobat would suffice on Windows and Mac computers. So I posted the info. After seeing there was a problem with a locked doc, I finally got to a regular Windows PC with Adobe and... it wouldn't print for me either.... Dang!

BIG THANKS to Chief for converting it to a printable doc so everyone can access this great resource. Huzzah! and a beer on me at El Fish. I'll be there this June for you to collect.

And also a big thanks to Ric Hajovsky for getting these maps from the Dept of Transportation of Cozumel and posting them. To have maps of the bus and collectivo routes has been a goal of mine. When I last visited the island, August/Sept 2011, I finally tracked down the Dept of Transportation and spoke to the guy in charge about getting them so I could post them online. He was happy to hear gringos cared to know this information and was very willing to share it... but there was some technical difficulty and my limited Spanish wasn't getting it. It was my last day... I was running out of time and couldn't get back to get the data myself. I seriously doubt there is a copyright issue as it is Public Info.

I'm hoping visitors feel more confident about riding the buses and collectivos in town with the info these maps provide. At 7p a ride (about 50 cents) it is a real bargain.

One funny thing I noticed on these maps. 30th aka Coldwell is spelled Codwell on several of them. (??)

...Christine

#6 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Ric does have his work copyrighted and I have seen his maps available at several retail locations.

Todos los derechos reservados por CZM S. de R.L de C.V. Prohibida la reproducción total o parcial del contenido sin autorizadión por escrito de los editores. Los editores asumen que el material aqui presentado es original y no infringe los derechos reservados por ley. Copyright 2011 by CZM S. de R.L. de C.V. All rights reserved. No part of this work may be reproduced, transmitted, or stored without express, written permission of the editor. The editor assumes all material submitted for the advertising contained in this work does not infringe on any previous copyright.

#7 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for pointing that out Charles. I will make a point of meeting with the Dept of Transportation guy again on my upcoming trip and obtain the Public Info Transit maps.

...Christine

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:05 AM

I have deleted the posted links at the request of the copyright owner.

"The contents of mine they are offering to the public illegally is contained in my book Cozumel Survival Manual, (available from Amazon in both kindle and paperback versions) and has a world-wide copyright as well as an ISBN number. What they are doing is unethical and illegal". Ric Hajovsky

Until Carey changes her mind about allowing Ric's site to be listed, nothing that is clearly copywrited should be posted without the owner's permission.

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

Well at least he got a little advertisement out of it and sold a few books.

While I am at it, I would dispute the charge that it is illegal and unethical. I can make a very good fair use argument if you wish to engage in it. I have removed the linked copy out of respect for the author as that seems to be his wish. I am however offended a bit by Charles re-posting a personal attack on both of us. Since Charles tends sometimes to seems indignant to me, I thought perhaps I should seem indignant as well.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

Hijack, sorta...Not linking to Ric's site but to the product, which contains some valuable info not available on this site or forum. Nice to know it exists! Another great resource for those moving or having recently moved to Cozumel -- this is NOT a tourist guide. Check the table of contents at Amazon Listing. The info is current as of 2012. Don't know if Ric will update each year -- that would be a ton of work and the cat's meow. Thanks to Charles & Ric.

#11 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

I've bought both the hardcopy book (to leave on the island and for the technology-impaired) and the Kindle version (to use on my Android smartphone) to carry around with me. Lots of information there.

#12 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

Awesome book. Ric did a super job on this book. Anyone considering a move here should get it for sure!

#13 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:24 AM

Since I can't see the links, I can't say what is or is not copyrightable material. However, as a general matter, copyright does not extend to factual material - only to creative expression. To the extent that Ric has added an element of creativity in the organization or mode of expression in his work, that is clearly copyrightable. But to the extent that Ric has just taken a public document, like a bus route map prepared by the Public Transportation Dept. on Cozumel, and republished it without creative editting, that particular piece of his work cannot be subject to copyright, and he can't prevent copying of that limited portion of his work. His work as a whole may still be copyrightable, if it represents at least some minimal creative input in organization or expression, but he cannot claim copyright on factual data or public documents which he did not author, but simply included in his work as part of a compilation. So if he has simply reproduced a publicly available route map produced by a public agency, again, assuming no "value added" by him, such as translations, editorial comments, etc., he can not stop you from copying that isolated piece from his work. At least as a matter of US Copyright law, title 17 U.S. Code.

#14 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

Ric's material includes textual descriptions and information -- in English, no less -- not provided with the original documents. This work makes it copyrightable under the US regulations.

Mexican copyright law is different. His work is copyrightable because he collated and published the information in a format not previously published.

In either case, he has furnished the info as a PDF download on his site of the personal use of the person who downloads it and requests permission of the copyright holder to distribute. That's very fair.

The book, which contains much more than bus maps, costs approx. $15USD at Amazon.com; Kindle version approx. $5USD. Very reasonable prices for this unique handbook.

#15 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

And beyond the issue of whether the material is able to be copyrighted, the second question is fair use of copyrighted material. (Especially the minor use of a small portion of a mainly factual text for educational, non-profit use that actually sold copies as well as this repeated rehashing with references to the additional value of the full text making the original work more marketable rather than damaging its marketability.)

I agree that Ric's requests are reasonable regardless of the legality and am happy to comply with them out of courtesy long before a consideration of legality.

I do still object to the over the top comments re-posted on behalf of the author who, I believe, no longer would stand by their strident nature. Yet he who posted them, allows them to remain, to my surprise. But then I am more about resolving issues than the propagation of vitriol, so YMMV. :)

I was thinking I might buy the Kindle version too to keep on my Iphone. That is a good idea, MStevens.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#16 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

Yeah, I'm really hoping for annual updates. Some of the most useful information is of the type that stales quickly, such as calendars of events.

#17 ljohnson

ljohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Salsa Dancing, Kiteboarding, Scuba Diving, and living in Paradise

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

I wonder if we can buy the book here on the island. I don't have a kindle or ipad to download to...so I'd like to have the hardcopy. Any where to buy it here?
Laura Johnson
www.salsacozumel.com

#18 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

Go to everythingcozumel.com. This guy really knows the island and there is a ton of info there including where to buy his book.

#19 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

I checked with the author. The books is only available on Amazon, but you can examine a copy at Cozumel Capital Real Estate on the corner of 5th Avenue & 5th Street.

You can buy and read Kindle books on your computer. You don't have to have a Kindle.

The only books available in stores on the island are:

The Yellow Guide to the Ruins of San Gervasio
Tulum; Everything you need to know before going to the ruins
2012; Everything you need to know to understand what all the fuss is about!

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#20 El Graduado

El Graduado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

There is a limited quantity of paperback versions of The Cozumel Survival Manual now available at Cinco Soles locations, Mi Casa, Aqua Safari, the kiosk at the bottom of the escalator at Mega, Remax on Calle 10 in Corpus Christi, and Cozumel Capital Real Estate at 5th Av & 5th st. Get 'em while they last!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users