• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 la pulga

la pulga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

just a warning. i arrived in cancun on april 9th in cancun with the normal usda international health certificate like i do every few weeks. i was detained in sagarpa because there is a new rule as of feb 23 that requires an embossed seal and signature from a usda vet. mind you, i have been in a few times since the new rule was put into place and no one said anything until this last entry. bottom line, the folks in sagarpa wouldn't let us enter until a vet from cancun arrived at the airport to give his seal of approval, costing 750 pesos. i asked and received a copy of the new rule from wherever in df. i have no problem with complying, but since the health certificate is not supposed to be dated more than 72 hours before entry, try sending your paperwork off to a usda office in your state and getting it back in time. it is not like you can find a usda vet where you live. in florida, there are only 2 usda offices and neither are close to where i live or fly out of. mexico has forced me to get a bogus embosser so i can stamp the papers myself. i had a friend arrive in czm with her dog on the 9th as well and she was given a warning but allowed to enter "this time". as an aside, why does mexico require this additional signature and embossed seal? like anyone is going to spend $100+ each way to bring in a sick, unvaccinated animal? and why isn't the local vet's signature where you come from, etc enough? i spoke to the usda office in gainsville, fl and all they will do, for a fee, is simply stamp and sign the left side of that form. it is not like they have to see the pet. so many sick dogs and cats here, you would think that the focus would be something different than requiring this new stuff. i would rather have sagarpa just charge me a fee to produce the paperwork that nobody cares about.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Thanks very much for this information. I will have to alter my paper plans accordingly when I come back with my dog next month. Could you tell me where you found the embosser and how you got the correct design, etc? I would appreciate that info.

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Thanks very much for this information. I will have to alter my paper plans accordingly when I come back with my dog next month. Could you tell me where you found the embosser and how you got the correct design, etc? I would appreciate that info.

Also is this the form? It's what I've used for awhile. You can have a vet fill it out. http://www.docstoc.c...lth-Certificate

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Also is this the form? It's what I've used for awhile. You can have a vet fill it out. http://www.docstoc.c...lth-Certificate

Here's a pdf that can be printed out: http://www.petreloca...f/APHIS7001.pdf

Needs to have a folio number added in the upper right corner where it says 2. Certificate number. Google international health certificate for dogs and choose images and you'll see several filled out examples including the type size and number of digits typical in the certificate number. Easy to create your own doc. Not that I would ever do that, of course.

My daughter came in two years ago with one of these forms that had been filled out for her by her California vet. But he didn't send it off to the USDA vets because it didn't have a folio number on it we found out in animal control at the Cozumel airport. The guy also didn't like that the vet had filled it out by hand, preferring typed as looking more official. AND, by the way, all vaccinations MUSt show the expiration dates clearly. So what they care about is:

up to date rabies showing the expiration date clearly -- not good enough to have it say it's a 1 year or a 3 year shot and was given on so and so date.
international health cert with the stamp per the downloadable file I've provided, signed and with a folio number.

I'm not sure it needs to be embossed but having been through this dance about 20 times at this stage of the game, I would like to know if that is yet a new surprise awaiting me upon my return.

Thanks a lot for this heads up. Will report on how my return goes in June.

#5 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

I guess my dog will not become a frequent flier. To many hoops to jump through plus she is to big.

#6 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

This is the official goverment site of the agency where the pet entry requirements are clearly indicated:

The site in in both spanish and english.

http://www.senasica....dioma=2&id=3691

http://www.senasica....dioma=1&id=3691

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

This is the official goverment site of the agency where the pet entry requirements are clearly indicated:

The site in in both spanish and english.

http://www.senasica....dioma=2&id=3691

http://www.senasica....dioma=1&id=3691

Thanks for offering that link. I would suggest anyone traveling with a pet should print out the Spanish version and bring with. I can tell you that for the last 3 years and as late as NOvember of 2011, in addition to the rabies vac, proof of heartworm and frontline administration was also required and if you didn't have it, u had to wait for a vet to come to the airport and administer these to your pet. This is yet another example of how Cozumel eccentrically interprets the rules.

I note that you are supposedly NOT required to have a stamped and officially signed USDA health certificate. But it may well be that they haven't updated the website yet to reflect this new requirement. They are always coming up with new ones and it continues to enrage me. So far I've been winning the paper wars over the past 4 entrances with my pup. Now, I will bring both.

Whatever you do, be sure it has the exp date of vaccinations listed IN ADDITION to date given. And make the vet put on there that the dog had frontline and heartgard administered even though the vet will think you are strange and demanding to request this.

#8 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for offering that link. I would suggest anyone traveling with a pet should print out the Spanish version and bring with. I can tell you that for the last 3 years and as late as NOvember of 2011, in addition to the rabies vac, proof of heartworm and frontline administration was also required and if you didn't have it, u had to wait for a vet to come to the airport and administer these to your pet. This is yet another example of how Cozumel eccentrically interprets the rules.

I note that you are supposedly NOT required to have a stamped and officially signed USDA health certificate. But it may well be that they haven't updated the website yet to reflect this new requirement. They are always coming up with new ones and it continues to enrage me. So far I've been winning the paper wars over the past 4 entrances with my pup. Now, I will bring both.

Whatever you do, be sure it has the exp date of vaccinations listed IN ADDITION to date given. And make the vet put on there that the dog had frontline and heartgard administered even though the vet will think you are strange and demanding to request this.

#9 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

According the site, that that updated April 13th 2012-

Only pets coming from country others that Canada and the US need to show that they have been under a preventive treatment for internal and external parasites within at least six months before coming to Mexico and that they are free of internal parasites.

and I would print that in spanish, as well.

Although, it does not hurt to have you vet stated the pet have been under Frontline and Hearguard treatment. :)

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

Although, it does not hurt to have you vet stated the pet have been under Frontline and Hearguard treatment. :)

one

That is the same information that's been on the website for the last 3 years. At least.

I'll repeat this one more time. At this point in time and for the past 3 years if you do not LIST heartgard and frontline on your vet letter, you have a real high chance that you will have to wait an hour or more at the Cozumel airport for a vet to come and administer these medications and you will have to pay for them.

The fact that the original poster was REQUIRED to have an international health certificate with an embossed seal in Cancun even though the official government website doesn't say this is required, ought to give you a clear example of how local bureaucrats can administer laws here any way they jolly well feel like it.

Having a print out of the Spanish version that includes the letterhead, etc., should prove quite helpful as well. I will add this to my arsenal as I come in and out with my dog approximately 3 times per year and have done for the last 6 or 7 years.

#11 cdg85705

cdg85705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

I came from the US, arriving in Cozumel, with my cat on May 11 and had no trouble with a translated letter with my cat's medical history from the Cozumel Humane Society that included updates from his US vet. I hear that US Air and United Airlines are no longer allowing pets in the cabin. I am supposed to return to the US in July for a month. I was told that there was a Mexican 1950's law that was not being enforced but now they are enforcing......Anyone know if there is anything being done to change the law or if this is going to be a permanent change? The airlines charge $125 each trip for a pet and force you to check your carryon bag as the animal carrier is your carryon bag....it's a pretty good revenue raiser....

Tina

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

GRRRR. I'm going to have to change to a one way on AA back from SFO to CZM and then get real ugly about a refund on the pet res on United plus a credit for the second half of my ticket which I can't use. I hate them.

Tia thanks so much for bringing this up. It would have been a huge bummer to get this information trying to get on the plane in Houston.

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

before you change your airline ticket to one way, I would check with the airline you are currently booked with. You flew out with the dog on that ticket, you may very well be allowed to fly back with him...this time.

Next time, AA.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

By the way,found some this-month-postings on a couple of expat in the Yucatan forums that specifically mentioned the usurious aduana charges. "Starting at $500 US" was one person's experience.

Apparently Mexican law doesn't require aduana brokering or taxes on up to two pets entering the country on the same plane as their owners. (Three or more does, however.) However, United/Continental insists on sending animals in with the cargo classification and papers filed to that effect. So this puts the pet and the pet's owner in the position of having to pay these absurdly high charges.

I will fly American until this gets ironed out because even if American also decides to abide by this archaic rule all of a sudden, they don't classify pets traveling with owners in the hold as cargo. They are treated like luggage.

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

here is my questions then, if American does NOT abide by this Mexican rule, then how exactly is the law applied to other airlines, and not AA?

If the law is not applied across the board, how can the law be enforced?

If it's an 'old Mexican' rule, what triggered its enforcement now?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#16 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

A long time ago I was looking to fly a dog in some airlines put the pet in the cargo hold and it would not go on the luggage conveyer belt. I think it was AA or Airo Mexico that after the dog left the cargo hold it went on the conveyer belt with the luggage, therefor not considered cargo.

Ron

#17 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Is there a problem taking in-cabin pets OUT of the country? I thought it was just coming in only? Crossing fingers I make it back with my little guy in 12 days on American out of DFW.

#18 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

The immigration guy told my wife in Cancun this month: You been here too much, you need to get an FM2. Odd and seemingly quite untrue.

Seems like a lot of rules are luck of the draw like that. Do you feel lucky today? Put a rabbit's foot on the dog's collar maybe?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#19 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

any flights in mexico, according to the mexican law, can not have animals in the cabin, regardless of origin of flight. going UP to the states, or coming down from the states.
again, only a couple of airlines are adhering to the law.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#20 diverdi

diverdi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

Oh Boy, bad subject for me...was to arrive in Cozumel on United, April 29th 2012 on a United flight I had booked about 5 weeks in advance with my dog that flies as carry on with me. She had a reservation, which I again confirmed 1 day prior to departure. We live north of OHare airport, 1 hour + to the airport, a 5 am flight means out the door at 1. No sleep. We arrived at the airport, to be told at the ticket counter that we would not be allowed to board due to a NEW regulation from the Mexican government that says NO PETS IN CABIN. I asked for a paper trail of the denial to board, ticket agent said there was a record in the system, not to worry about a refund. I asked if he was sure it was Mexico and not United. he said Mexican Regulation.

We arrived back home, exhausted & in shock. We have a home on the island and travel often with our dog. She has made this trek 25+ times. We selected her breed so we COULD take her when we go and not need to worry about boarding our pup, a much loved member of the family. I got on the phone with United, about our refund, I was told that I chose not to board and there would be no refund, 560 a person, and 250 for the dog RT. I asked for a supervisor, after 1 hour and 4 minutes on hold ( United song for over an hour!!) bum bum bum....bum bum....da da da, da da, la la la....la la.
OMG! I got a woman who I could barely understand, I told her I was going to take a deep breath and remain calm to tell the story, in the end, she said she believed me!! Also, that I would get a refund within 2 billing cycles. She also said it is a Mexican Government new rule. There was no apology offered for allowing us to show up for our flight uninformed of the new rules...

I contacted Andrea at the Humane Society on the island, she said this was not true, with her reassurances, I called American Airlines, got on a flight the next day, with the hubby and the dog! Same as always, no issues whatsoever! Bottom line is...United, and now Delta, will not allow pets in cabin into Mexico, it is their interpretation of an old regulation. Why now? Who knows. I don't. Andrea has asked we do not sign petitions, that we need to be careful how we go about a protest. I would contact her for any current information, but American, was at least, on May 9th 2012, still flying in cabin pets in and out of Mexico. I really don't know what I will do if American stops....We come down for extended periods with our dog.

It was a day I will not forget, I hope we can get clear resolution on this issue sooner rather than later for all us that love our pets enough to go through the time and expense of vetting them before a trip down and back, and paying for their flights. Anyone with new info, please post. I am waiting to see what happens before I attempt to book my next trip.

For much more information, google...pets in cabin to Mexico. There is a whole community of people like us. Livid. I must say, United had the worst customer service. When I was at the airport I asked the check in person how they could allow us to show up? How hard could it have been to see who had a ticketed, pre paid, in cabin, pet booked for a flight to Mexico?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users