• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

On my recent trip to Coz I realized part of the reason my suitcase was so heavy was because I had 4 books in there + my Spanish dictionary... one way I relax is reading a lot. And they are currency to trade for another. There was the start of a thread on the old forum before it was wiped out about people using Kindles. I spoke with a friend recently and she is nuts about hers. Also met a guy on the beach using one and he loved it. I was surprised he took it to the beach with the sand and water issues, but he didn't seem concerned. I'm already taking a phone, iPod and now a laptop, so I'm not sure how many more electronic gadgets I want to handle, but I'm curious about people on Coz using Kindles. Book selection? Pricey? Opinions and experiences?

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

Okay, you released the Krakken. I LOVE my Kindle 2nd edition. Load it up with all sorts of faves and freebies. Stick it in a ziplock for beach/poolside/bathtub. Get the free Kindle app for Iphone, PC/laptop, and Blackberry and no Kindle required. Subscribe to Kindle Nation newsletter for more free book downloads and current news, tips and tricks all things Kindle. I have a Spanish/English dictionary on it and on my BB. The worldwide edition is more expensive and larger, but I have so many books loaded on my 2nd ed. I don't need to download any more outside of the US. My husband and I share an account and he loves his Kindle as well. It will also read books to you and serve as a rudimentary computer. Kindle will also play music, though I haven't done that yet. Can't say enough about this little dedicated e-reader! I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about it.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:51 PM

I am crying my heart out here for a Kindle.

Will trade 6 M&M's for a Kindle...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Incubus2112

Incubus2112

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:08 PM

I have a kindle e-reader and some other programs on my iphone. I would shudder to think what it would be like carrying all these books around with me everywhere I go.

#5 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:59 PM

I also have a Kindle 2 and love it. I travel on business quite a bit and love the fact that I don't have to pack books. When we spend our annual two weeks in Coz every November I used to have to pack 7 or 8 books. I have over a hundred books on my Kindle and you can get the top sellers for a lot less versus buying them. Kindle also has some great free books and I love the fact that if my eyes get tired I can plug in my earphones and it will read to me. In the year that I have had it I have saved a ton of money and no longer have stacks of books floating around my house. It is small enough that I can put it in my laptop bag with my laptop. If you decide to buy one you may want to check out Craig's List. I got mine from a person that got it as a gift and was not a reader and saved a ton of money. I would also recommend buying the cover that looks like a book to protect it.

#6 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:43 AM

I guess I'll be the one that's a party pooper here. I understand the desire for convenience. I even understand saving a bit of money, although you have to put out quite a bit for the Kindle first. However, these things break my heart. There's something about holding a book in your hand and turning the pages that you just can't get with a Kindle. It's part of the relaxation, of getting away from everything including the technology that is beginning to run our lives.

It's frightening how often I now reference this B movie because more and more of it is becoming reality in some ways. Have you seen the movie "Soylent Green" with Charlton Heston? There's a scene where Edward G. Robinson meets some of his friend at The Library. It's all very secretive as books no longer exist and are illegal I believe. This place is a repository of old books that are protected by this small group of older people. Robinsons talks about books the way I'm talking about them. Scary.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

Kandy one of the things that makes me enthusiastic about the Kindle is no more books are needed. That means no more forests have to be cut to make the paper. It's totally "green" technology. Like iTunes and AppleTV make it so that we can have movies and music without the mass production of plastic products. I really like that part of it. I honestly find the Kindle experience to be very book-like. One really cool thing is that with the Kindle you are walking around with a huge library of your favorite literature. Our world is running out of natural resources. Destroying forests when we don't have to is scary to me.

Cozumel Diving

#8 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

Had I continued to purchase books at my usual rate pre-Kindle, I would have to move out of my house. Any Kindle book I order is automatically sent to my husband's Kindle as well. We can read the same or different books. I think Amazon has removed the 6 people on the same account limit, so libraries can be shared with family/trusted friends with Kindles as long as you use the same account. Books appear within minutes after ordering. It has a built-in dictionary. You can change the font size and read in either landscape or standard format. I have had my K 2 since it first came out, and still haven't tapped all of its capabilities. To me, it's just like reading a regular book. Best travel companion ever!

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:10 PM

I just purchased the Nook, the new Barnes and Noble e-reader. It appears to have all the same features as the Kindle 2 but I got the Nook instead for two reasons. #1. Lot of reviewers complained about the page turning button not being very user friendly on the Kindle 2. (On the kindle 1 version they complained about it being way too touchy so they overdid it the other way on the kindle 2 according to some reviewers.)

#2. When the battery goes on the Kindle 1 and 2 and the new DX, you are required to ship the whole unit back to amazon instead of purchasing a new one for $30 as you can with the Nook. This would be a bore in the states. Down here, you'd have to wait for your next trip stateside, usually months, before you could safely ship it back.

True, I don't get the feature of being able to do wireless downloads of books in Mexico but, for me, that's easily solved by just loading up a bunch in the states and sure beats hauling 70 lbs worth down here at a pop as I used to do via slow, M-bag service and the post offices.

I don't like the cost. It's the same as the Kindle at around $250 with accessories like a nightlight and case adding more to the cost. But the feel is pleasantly like a book.

Now amazon has a new, larger kindle that does color and has, of course, a bigger page. But it weighs something like 10 oz more than the kindle 2 and nook. And it's double the price.

I'm quite sure that in a few years time people will be looking at the kindles and nook we're raving about here and laugh at us like they used to laugh at those huge, expensive calculators when they began to be replaced by disposable and tiny models.

Ideal would be a reader as thin as a People Magazine and about the same size and weight. Big enough screen to actually let you view, for example, a map.

But for now, at least for people living as I do without access to a public library or even an English bookstore, it's the only way for a reader to go.

I can also see how it would be great for vacationing readers.

#10 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:21 PM

Wow! Lots of great opinions and info... thanks to all. I'm on the fence because of what Kandy spoke about - I enjoy the feel and low tech-ness of a book. I can't stare at a computer screen all the time! I hadn't really thought about the saving resources aspect, so thanks Mike. I find books a lot for a quarter at garage sales... titles I probably wouldn't seek out and love ending up with a gem. If it's a dud I can put it in the Goodwill bag and don't feel like I've wasted any money. Of the (actually 5 !!) books I brought this last trip 2 turned out to be duds, but I was able to trade them for acceptable alternatives at 2 hotels. As there are no used bookstores around I've found any tourist hotel is a potential place to find new books. Front desk people don't seem to care, especially if you are trading and not just taking. Also, price, but of course - eBay and Craig's List...thanks Cookie Lady! Carey, you make some good points about the different brands now. Kindle was the first, I wasn't aware of the Nook. Do you download from Amazon or B&N? The battery issue is a good point to ponder. Dawn, you sound like my girlfriend. She is in love, love, love! with her Kindle. I'll ask her if she knows about Kindle Nation.

Here's another question: How is reading the Kindle at night? We all know what terrible bedside lights are in hotel rooms, esp in Mexico. I have fooled around with book lights for ages. Thought I found a good one this last trip that's LED and fits over my ear like a bluetooth cell phone thingy. Just saw reading glasses at the drugstore with little lights on either side that look better than my over-the-ear model. However, battery replacement issues on both as they use those pricey little button batteries.

PS: 2 really good books I read this trip: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Orchid Thief.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:15 AM

I actually purchased the nook for my husband, AJ, who is also a voracious reader but is particularly fond of non-fiction which is even more difficult to get second-hand or as a trade. His first comment on seeing it was why doesn't it have a backlight. Well, none of the current ereaders including the new $500 Kindle DX have backlighting because they use a process called e-ink. Also backlighting would really burn down the battery which lasts something like two weeks on the kindle and 10 days on the Nook. (score one for the kindle over the nook).

I was researching nightlights that fit on the ereaders yesterday as a result. Looks like the best one by far but at $25 not the cheapest is the new Kandle for Kindle which also fits the nook apparently. (We shall see). LEDs, adjustable head with a design that keeps side lighting to a minimum. Uses CR3something little disk batteries. One battery gets you about 25 hours and a pack of 24 is $6 US so not too bad. Design looks good, folds up tight and small and is very light. I'll get one next time I'm in the states and try it out on the nook.

If any of your kindle people gotta have it, I can bring you one back on my next trip because they're so little and light. Returning June 3. Get in touch if you want to take me up on this offer.

PS Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is excellent and so is the sequel, Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I'm awaiting the release of the third in the series in May. After that, sadly, no more, as the Swedish journalist who wrote them died very young and recently.

#12 MusicMan

MusicMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:31 AM

I just think about all the times I've been reading at the beach and wake up with my book...somewhere...Somehow I doubt the Kindle/Nook would be nearly as "sand-friendly".
Cruisin' toward retirement!!

#13 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:59 AM

The Kindle has a light that you can buy for it. It is so lightweight, like the Kindle itself, that the extra weight is not signifgant. It is a small halogen lamp that uses 2 triple A batteries and has two power settings. I like it because the Kindle still looks like a book when using the light as it is not back-lighted and the light does not use the Kindle battery. Because it's halogen it is also very helpful if the power goes out and your flashlight is not around.

I would not do it but I know people that use both computers and Kindles at the beach. With total respect I think most "beach reading" is a tourist thing. Most locals that live here go to the beach for a purpose (exercise, walk the dogs, snorkle, etc.) not to just sit and read. I think most of us would agree that sunbathing is unhealthy and for those of us that live here sitting in the garden or by the pool provides a much more private and quiet reading experience.

Cozumel Diving

#14 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:43 AM

My husband is an avid reader and we have a cupboard filled with paperback books...He bought a Kindle and LOVES it....so now I need to have a book sale and proceeds to go to Red Cross and Humane Society. I need the cupboard space badly...let me know if anyone wants some books...$2.00 each, many good authors and titles. Susan 869-2627
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

Re the nook vs. kindle discussion -- the nook let's you download for pay from their online Barnes and Noble store. The format is epub which is the same being used by the Guttenberg Project and the Google Books project. Kindle only allows paid downloads from their amazon online store. I'm not sure what the format is. I have read that the content is in a proprietary format as in can't be transferred or read on other ereaders. But the internet is riff with misinformation

I don't know if the amazon reader, Kindle, allows you to download and read the free ebooks in the projects mentioned above. I would imagine it would. Anyone tried it? You just download an epub book to your computer, hook your e-reader up to the computer via a usb cable that should be provided with the e-reader and then transfer the epub file from your computer to your e-reader.

Here's an interesting factoid for kindle users. My daughter and her boyfriend are total geeks. Apparently its well known in the land o' Geeks that the entire development team that put together the kindle 1 quit after the release. Amazon is known for not being the friendliest place to work. Maybe they thought they should have gotten a bonus or something. Who knows. Anyway, every last one of them quit and they had to hire an entirely new team to do all the changes that people were clamoring for and which were implemented in the Kindle 2. Most people I've read prefer the kindle 1 to the 2 after they get used to the apparently extremely touchy page turn button. But the kindle 1 is no longer available for sale. The DX prolly fixes problems with the 2 but the added weight, price and battery issues put me off that model.

#16 Shell

Shell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

Carey, let me get this straight -- the battery only lasts 10 days to two weeks at which point I have to send it away and pay $30 to have it replaced? Are you kidding me?! Or am I missing something? This (in addition to the initial $250 output) is supposed to be cheaper than buying books at Half Price books, trading with friends, going to the library or buying them at garage sales?

#17 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

Actually, Carey, Kindle can access epub/Gutenberg/MobiPocket, etc. all for free. I haven't tried it yet as I haven't needed to, but there are several how-to manuals available to help. Amazon also has many free /low cost books available.

Shell - With Kindle (and probably with Nook) they come with a charger. So no, you don't have to send it away after 2 weeks!

Surveys I have read showed most people prefer the K 2 to K 1 and DX. I like the way pages turn. I like the compactness of the K2 and the fact it can read to me.

However, with the launch of the IPad this week, things may change e-book- wise.

#18 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

Sorry, Shell. The battery life of all these e-readers is approximately 2 years. I meant how long the battery lasts before you have to charge it up again.

#19 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

Do we know a price yet on the ipad? I seem to remember speculation that it was going to cost as much as a basic Acer laptop -- around $500. That's going to off put a lot of people who only want it for a reader in my opinion. But time will tell.

The nook has a touch screen navigational area which is kind of kewl I guess once you get the pressure levels right. But I'm bothered by the fingerprint smudges a touch screen leaves behind and have taken to fanatically washing and drying my hands before every use as a result. Prolly a good thing to do as long as I don't get rabid about it. Like Lady MacBeth "Out, damn spot. Out, I say! All, the perfumes of Arabia cannot sweeten these little hands, ay ay ay"

#20 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

I'll save my dryer sheets if that will help, Ms. Macbeth.

Carey was the one who told me to use "used" dryer sheets on my computer screens and they work very well. I use them on the TV screen as well.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users