• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Nelda H

Nelda H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

I love my Kindle more than I love Miracle Whip. That says it all. Right, Paula? :D

#22 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

ipad pricing on the apple site have it starting at $499 for 16 gigs and going up from there. In the ads, the ebook is mentioned near the bottom as kind of an afterthought.

You have to consider why these various companies are making the ereader. In the case of Barnes and Noble and Amazon, they're making them to sell books from their store in a different form. Apple is in the business of making hardware first.

Amazon is kind of a hybrid now, actually. They started out just selling books but now they're into everything. Barnes and Noble has always only sold books and accessories plus other entertainment media. Sony? another hardware company. Movies and music yes, books, no.

My money would be on the kindle or the nook although my Dad tells me there's a Swedish I think he said it was, ereader coming out that may blow the aforementioned two we're all crowing about out of the water.

#23 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:11 PM

I saw a CNN tech report and they listed the following about iPad:

Too heavy.
Is not booklike.
Because it's LCD it cannot be seen outside or with too much ambiant light.
While Kindle has no connectivity fee the fee for the iPad is over $350 a year.
Amazon and Barnes and Noble make their living selling books. Apple will find it hard to catch up with the thousands of books already available.

Cozumel Diving

#24 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

There is actually a publisher war going on. The Apple 5 (B and N, MacMillan, Steve Jobs/Apple and some others I don't remember) are trying to make it so indies, Kindle-friendly authors, and best sellers can't sell e-books for the $9.99 or under for which Amazon currently lists their best-sellers. The Apple 5 want to standardize everything for the full hardcopy price ($14.99 and up). Amazon is fighting this. It's in the Kindle Nation archives articles which I think are still free. And actually pretty unbiased. Stephen Windwalker, the author, does not work for Amazon and has no bones about sticking it to Amazon (frequently) if he thinks they deserve it. The newsletter is also a great resource for free books and how to download MobiPocket, Guttenberg, etc.

Mike and Carey, I agree with you as to the specialization. As my IT guy says, Proctor-Silex may make great toasters, but I wouldn't buy a computer from them.

#25 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

Well, when I checked the same books on both sites two weeks ago before deciding to go with the Nook, pricing was exactly the same for amazon and B & N new books. If B & N starts raising the prices, they will soon be losing me as a customer. I really don't think any of these companies can do that and get away with it. At least not right now.

Apple might get away with it for awhile because there's so much hype over the ipad. We'll see. But certainly not in the long run.

#26 Incubus2112

Incubus2112

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

The iPad has one thing over the kindle, color. Also the users are going crazy over it, overall.

#27 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:21 AM

To me knowing the iPad was coming and it's fee and general dimensions, the iPad seems to just be another form of computer minus some of a computers most essential components (USB ports). The yearly connectivity fee.....for what it costs you could buy another e-reader every year. As far as Apple wanting to raise the price of books to retail hardback prices...I find that extremely dubious as one of the high points of iPod and AppleTV is that you can purchase CD's and DVD's (virtual) for half the price of a hard copy. I doubt that Apple has any clout over authors. The print world is in chaos and is 1/100th what it was 15 years ago. Amazon and B & N have sold millions of books, whereas Apple has never sold one.

Per color: I preferred the Kindle because it was book like and I was only interested in books, not magazines or graphic novels.

A lot of Apple geeks will buy anything Apple makes no matter what it is. I saw articles on CNN about people buying 4-5 not even knowing for sure what the thing can or cannot do. Don't get me wrong, I love most Apple stuff too. iPod is the greatest thing to happen to music IMHO and AppleTV provides wide-screen movies, in hi-def, that I could never find here and that I can download for half price over hard copies in a matter of seconds. I just kind of think they fumbled here and instead of coming out with a better e-reader they just basically marketed a laptop that doesn't have a protective cover or external keyboard.

Cozumel Diving

#28 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:14 AM

The iPad has one thing over the kindle, color.

The new Kindle DX has color if I'm not mistaken. Costs a little under $500 and is larger and weighs more than the "2".

#29 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:27 AM

No color, the same 16 shades of gray e-ink. There is a Kindle 2 World edition that is same size as a regular K 2 and smaller than the DX. $259 from Amazon. I believe you can download books in Mexico and other countries only on the World Edition (either K2 World or DX World).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users