• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

My husband disturbed a bees nest this morning, and needless to say, he was stung, the dogs and cats where being attacked, and one got in the house and stung me.

Do we have aggressive bees on the island...aka, killer bees?

We have "friendly" bees that hang out at the water fountain, and not at all aggressive.

These suckers this morning where on a rampage.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

Paula, were they actual bees, or were they hornets? Many folks call them both bees. Bees can only sting once and die, hornets can sting to their heart's content and have a rotten attitude. I read where there are killer bees in MX and southern US.

Hope you are all OK with no allergic reactions!

#3 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

This is a queen bee breeding center on the island. I don't believe we have Africanized bees. If you disturb either a bee or wasp nest, they will aggressively defend their territory.

If you have a bee or wasp problem, you can have the bomberos come and destroy the nuisance nests.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

Dawn and Diva, they where not Hornets...they where Bees.

I am okay, thank you both. I no longer can see my collar bone...took an antihistamine right away. Of course, I have to take them every day anyway because of my allergies...

A good day is when I am not at San Miguel for treatment.

This is the first time we have encountered this situation. Greg hasn't gone back to take a look at the colony to see how big it is.

Diva, I will let him know that help is available...thank you

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

Yes, Africanized bees can be a problem here and attack in mass if disturbed. Sometime ago (10-14 years) two horses were attacked while grazing in a vacant lot behind IMSS hospital. I guess the location was calle 13 divided by avenue 30 & 35. One or both horses died from the result of the attack. I would urge the utmost of caution and to contact the Bomberos as suggested. Bees can kill horses when the hive attacks in mass and they suffer hundreds of stings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users